Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14 >
Topic Options
#90432 - 05/28/12 09:20 PM 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE!
md Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Dear Outlaw Audio,

Greetings....

It is now time for the next update regarding the Model 978.

Good, bad, ugly, disappointing, or outstanding, regardless of the news, it is now time for a detailed update. Where does the 978 stand? How far along is the beta testing? Where does the firmware and software stand? What issues are holding up the release? Where progress has been made and what, if anything, is holding up the release?

Keep us updated, keep us in the loop, keep us interested, keep us an Outlaw Audio customer, keep us from spending money elsewhere!

Thank you in advance for your most timely (7 - 10 days hence) update.

Sincerely,

MD

#90433 - 05/29/12 03:48 AM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: md]
akiddoc Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oakland, CA
That has been tried before. Without success.
Antique Sound Lab AV-25 (three)
Magnepan 1.6 (Stereo Unlimited mod) LR
Magnepan MC1 surrounds
Opera (mod) center
AMC subwoofer (mod)
Panasonic 65VT50

#90434 - 05/29/12 12:35 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: akiddoc]
beyond 1000 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
I truly hope you are successful with Outlaw. Their updates have been brutal. The 978 for all we know at this time may or may not even be out this year and that is a real possibility. They seem to be perfectionists but perfectionism (added delays resulting) in this industry hurts companies. They may be further off release than we are led to believe. The only way to prove this wrong is for them to actually respond with a progress update.

Yes. How about it Scott this is your website and your customers are interested. You do post here.

Edited by beyond 1000 (05/29/12 12:36 PM)

#90436 - 05/30/12 02:28 AM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: beyond 1000]
jam Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Montreal, QC, Canada
To be honest, after observing the MO of Outlaw these last 2-3 years, I wouldn't expect an update at this point until they almost ready to release the 978. I hope I'm wrong but...

#90437 - 05/30/12 06:25 AM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: jam]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: jam
To be honest, after observing the MO of Outlaw these last 2-3 years, I wouldn't expect an update at this point until they almost ready to release the 978. I hope I'm wrong but...

Agreed. They've stepped on their collective johnsons enough times already with respect to previous 978 announcements/predictions so I wouldn't expect to hear boo from them until things are very close. Personally, I'm skeptical that it will see the light of day at all and don't expect it to sell well even if it does.

#90438 - 05/30/12 02:30 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: Ritz2]
rubbersoul Offline
Desperado

Loc: folsom, pa.
I can say that I am tired of reading about the what if's, maybe, the delay for this reason or the other. The end story is the 978 is not available now and probably is not going to be available for a few more months and perhaps not until Christmas. I think if people need a new processor they should not wait and hold onto their loyalty but rather they should be filling this forum with what they decided to buy and how it supports their HT and audio needs.
Honestly this has been a drag getting on this Forum wondering if there is going to be any news from (with all respect) P.T., or Scott.

Looks like Marantz has a new line of receivers that offer a lot at reasonable prices.
Will the gang at Outlaw be competitive on processor level in comparison to these new Marantz SR series receivers.

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Marant...Receivers.shtml
B&W 803D2’s HTM3S DS7's
HSU Subwoofer
Mitsubishi 6800 Projector
Da-Lite Screen,
Oppo BDP93
Comcast
PS Audio DSD
Stack Variac
Kill-O-Watt
Nakamichi cables Audio 8 cables
Air-Server
Mac-Mini
ROON

#90439 - 05/30/12 06:23 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: rubbersoul]
jam Offline
Gunslinger

That's interesting news from Marantz rubbersoul. They've bumped up their model numbering to 007 with these new receivers. I usually google about once a month for news of a Marantz AV8006 processor and figuring that it was about time for the next increment in their modeling nomenclature, in the last few months, I've also googled for AV8007. I was coming out empty. But seeing the article you referred above, I googled it again and found these rumors, in of all places, the Emotiva lounge (posted by corbaatje):

"There are rumors from the Hifi Berlin show that this year the Marantz AV 7007(with Audyssey XT32?) will be out late summer/fall, and the AV 8007 with Audyssey XT32+Pro will be out this year or the beginning off next year."

If those rumors become a reality, this doesn't bode well for Outlaw, nor Emotiva for that matter. The 997 saga made Outlaw loose too much valuable time and the 978 has taken them too much time to develop, probably as a result of scarce financial resources for the project. If the Marantz processors show up within the same time frame as the 978, Ritz may be correct in predicting that the 978 will not sell too well.

It's interesting how the new Marantz SR7007 reciver has 6 HDMI inputs an 3 HDMI outputs. It's the first time I see one with three HDMI outputs.

#90440 - 05/30/12 11:53 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: jam]
beyond 1000 Offline
Gunslinger

If those rumors become a reality, this doesn't bode well for Outlaw, nor Emotiva for that matter. The 997 saga made Outlaw loose too much valuable time and the 978 has taken them too much time to develop, probably as a result of scarce financial resources for the project. If the Marantz processors show up within the same time frame as the 978, Ritz may be correct in predicting that the 978 will not sell too well.

This is what I'm fearing for Outlaw and what Ritz stated in his post. They are falling back and falling off. I do love Outlaw or else I wouldn't post here. They need to make a decision with this and get it in the market. I think they have run into huge snags since Scott updated us last.

#90443 - 05/31/12 07:33 AM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: jam]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

That's interesting news from Marantz rubbersoul. They've bumped up their model numbering to 007 with these new receivers. I usually google about once a month for news of a Marantz AV8006 processor and figuring that it was about time for the next increment in their modeling nomenclature, in the last few months, I've also googled for AV8007. I was coming out empty. But seeing the article you referred above, I googled it again and found these rumors, in of all places, the Emotiva lounge (posted by corbaatje):

"There are rumors from the Hifi Berlin show that this year the Marantz AV 7007(with Audyssey XT32?) will be out late summer/fall, and the AV 8007 with Audyssey XT32+Pro will be out this year or the beginning off next year."

It's interesting how the new Marantz SR7007 reciver has 6 HDMI inputs an 3 HDMI outputs. It's the first time I see one with three HDMI outputs.

Doesn't look like XT32 is part of the mix, but the details for the new Marantz receivers are here:

Shipping in July 2012

Another nail in the 978 coffin, I'm afraid. The 7007 has a pretty complete feature set. The only thing really missing are balanced pre-outs, but I can live with that.

Best,

#90444 - 05/31/12 09:52 AM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: Ritz2]
Retep Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tauranga, New Zealand
Originally Posted By: Ritz2

Doesn't look like XT32 is part of the mix, but the details for the new Marantz receivers are here:

Shipping in July 2012

Another nail in the 978 coffin, I'm afraid. The 7007 has a pretty complete feature set. The only thing really missing are balanced pre-outs, but I can live with that.

Best,

I wouldn't have expected balanced pre out's with a receiver, but perhaps it's more common than I realize.

#90445 - 05/31/12 12:22 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: Retep]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

Loc: Illinois
Well some folks will certainly be banging the drum against the Marantz products for some of its failings (or country of origin...) and if Marantz was transparent enough to host a forum I'm sure enough "customers" would be be wailing and gnashing their teeth that at least some of the Marantz marketing guys would be terrified that their product will be a horrible flop too...

#90446 - 05/31/12 01:37 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: renov8r]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Originally Posted By: renov8r
Well some folks will certainly be banging the drum against the Marantz products for some of its failings (or country of origin...) and if Marantz was transparent enough to host a forum I'm sure enough "customers" would be be wailing and gnashing their teeth that at least some of the Marantz marketing guys would be terrified that their product will be a horrible flop too...

I've mostly given up complaining about the Chinese manufacturing since they're all doing it now. D&M Holdings (Marantz/Denon/etc) seems to have the capital and the manpower to crank out product on a consistent basis that appears to be well regarded by reviewers/consumers. So I doubt they have much to gnash their teeth over.

I'm actually using a Denon AVR-1912 (also from D&M Holdings) these days that I won in an office door prize. I'd planned on selling it on Ebay and then said "ah, what the heck..let's see what it sounds like." In short, it sounds pretty darned good and is loaded with creature comforts. If it had pre-outs, I'd probably just make it the main processor for my living room. I don't really notice the cheap receiver amplification since I feed everything below 100hz to my remaining LFM-1. smile

Best,

#90447 - 05/31/12 01:42 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: Retep]
jam Offline
Gunslinger

This is normal and completely expected as the Marantz SR7007 is a receiver and not a processor/preamp. However, the AV7007 and AV8007 rumored above are processors/preamps and would definitely have balanced pre-outs as their respective predecessors did (AV7005 & AV8003).

WRT Audyssey MultEQ XT32 not being in the mix on the SR7007 at $1800, this is in keeping with the pricing scheme at D+M's Denon division that begins offering XT32 on the Denon AVR-4311CI at $2100. As for the competition, the Onkyo TX-NR3009 and Integra DTR-70.3 receivers that introduce XT32 on those brands sell for about $2200 and $2300 respectively.

Edited by jam (05/31/12 04:25 PM)
Edit Reason: typo

#90449 - 05/31/12 07:19 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: jam]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

If anything is a "nail in the coffin" for the Marantz and competing products I suspect it is their pricing -- the dealers that are still around seem to be interested in only moving complete "starter systems" with inexpensive DACs and such from small manufacturers that sell for $500 or so COMPLETE and then the "no holds barred" stuff that starts around $20,000

The curse of the 99% that once shopped at places like Tweeter is that Best Buy is thisclose to gone...

#90451 - 06/01/12 12:13 AM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: renov8r]
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
The way things are going, Outlaw will be selling a Marantz SR5007 with the amps disabled before the 978 ships. Makes you almost wonder why they don't have Marantz create an OEM version of the 500x line every year without the power-amps and an Outlaw faceplate and call it the 91x.
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

#90452 - 06/01/12 10:47 AM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: 73Bruin]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Unfortunately the 978 is yet to be released and we are almost half way through 2012. At this point it does not matter how good it is or what features it has or how much it costs. Outlaw is losing the interest of everyone that was focused on the 978. A decision to scrap the 978 and get out of the processor business is the likely next move. Even if they build it and market it they probably won't make enough $$$ to recoup the cost so they should cut their losses now. I still love their amps and subs and my 990 but the 978 is a lost cause for me.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#90453 - 06/01/12 12:25 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: XenonMan]
beyond 1000 Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: XenonMan
Unfortunately the 978 is yet to be released and we are almost half way through 2012. At this point it does not matter how good it is or what features it has or how much it costs. Outlaw is losing the interest of everyone that was focused on the 978. A decision to scrap the 978 and get out of the processor business is the likely next move. Even if they build it and market it they probably won't make enough $$$ to recoup the cost so they should cut their losses now. I still love their amps and subs and my 990 but the 978 is a lost cause for me.

Where do I begin to agree on this. Xenonman this is painful to read what you are saying but sadly TRUE. As I said subtly before, Outlaw needs to get the 978 out NOW. Where you say that even if they build it they won't recoup any losses is something that I'm now seeing for myself. As much as they are working on the 978 to get it right, I don't think the market will even care at that point. Slow off the starting line and you loose the race. If they do get the 978 out and selling how long will those sales last and what is their next project after that one? I forsee a few good reviews on it and then very mediocre sales and it will fizzle out into oblivion.

Outlaw should refreshen their line. Bring out a two channel amp, bring out an AVR, bring out a quality bluray player...but mostly bring out something.

The possibility of Outlaw scrapping the processor as to not falling into a deeper financial pit may be the very next move as Xenonman just pointed out.

#90454 - 06/01/12 12:34 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: XenonMan]
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
XT32 is still a differentiating item for me, so I think there is still value to putting out the 978. But yeah, the more delay there is, obviously, the more potential customers they lose.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#90455 - 06/01/12 12:50 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: Retep]
rubbersoul Offline
Desperado

I have to say that I was rather upset about the Marantz news seeing that this might impede Outlaw even more from producing the 978. It seems also that these receivers are offering a lot more bang for the buck in relation to what Outlaw is considering for the 978.
Airplay, 4K, and I think more HDMI options....I wish this SR7007 was a Processor or at least have balanced inputs.
Which makes me wonder if Marantz will be launching any new processors in the near future or was Oulaw helping them rid themselves of a heavy inventory of 7005's.
Well no matter if you are looking for or need a receiver these new Marantz products are a very nice piece to add to anyones HT.
B&W 803D2’s HTM3S DS7's
HSU Subwoofer
Da-Lite Screen,
Oppo BDP93
Comcast
PS Audio DSD
Stack Variac
Kill-O-Watt
Air-Server
Mac-Mini
ROON

#90456 - 06/01/12 12:57 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: rubbersoul]
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

If Marantz offers an AV7007 processor with just XT, then there's not a lot of reason to upgrade from the AV7005 IMO.

Too bad Denon didn't put XT32 in the 3313 either.

#90457 - 06/01/12 02:04 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: Kevin C Brown]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Originally Posted By: Kevin C Brown
If Marantz offers an AV7007 processor with just XT, then there's not a lot of reason to upgrade from the AV7005 IMO.

It remains to be seen if XT vs XT32 provides much in the way of audible difference until we see some head to head comparisons. I'm a bit skeptical. Granted, higher resolution is nice to have, but I'm unconvinced that it makes a real difference in this application. I kinda like the Emotiva approach where they're apparently using embedded linux and fast DSPs. In theory, you should be able to upgrade to the latest/greatest code as long as the cpu has enough grunt to support it. I like that MUCH better than the ancien regime where you are basically tied to whatever was implemented on the day of manufacture plus or minus minor tweaks.

Best,

#90458 - 06/01/12 02:09 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: beyond 1000]
jam Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: beyond 1000

Where do I begin to agree on this. Xenonman this is painful to read what you are saying but sadly TRUE. As I said subtly before, Outlaw needs to get the 978 out NOW. Where you say that even if they build it they won't recoup any losses is something that I'm now seeing for myself. As much as they are working on the 978 to get it right, I don't think the market will even care at that point. Slow off the starting line and you loose the race. If they do get the 978 out and selling how long will those sales last and what is their next project after that one? I forsee a few good reviews on it and then very mediocre sales and it will fizzle out into oblivion.

Outlaw should refreshen their line. Bring out a two channel amp, bring out an AVR, bring out a quality bluray player...but mostly bring out something.

The possibility of Outlaw scrapping the processor as to not falling into a deeper financial pit may be the very next move as Xenonman just pointed out.

Indeed they need to get it out now. But even if they've finished the design by now and they would want to get released earlier than they previously preferred to, with some minor issues, they probably have yet to complete the various certifications (Audyssey, Dolby, DTS, HDMI, FCC, UL, CSA, etc.).

Bringing out a two-channel amp is a feasible task for them. A quality Blu-ray player on the other hand where the mid-end is already solidly occupied by the likes of Oppo and Marantz would be suicidal at this point. The higher-end is again mostly owned by Oppo and others such as Denon, Marantz, Cambridge Audio, Ayre, etc..

Bringing out an AVR just opens up the same can of worms as the 978, which they've yet to release. It's the digital side of the design where most of the complexity lies. The AVR market is already over-saturated with offerings at every imaginable price-point by Denon, Onkyo, Integra, Marantz, NAD, Anthem, etc.

In light of the new receivers and the new rumored processors from Marantz, I'm also afraid that just like XenonMan said the 978 may become a lost cause. They should have designed the 978 in the US even if design costs would have ended being higher. Then they could have had the units made in China (sorry Ritz). In this way, I believe they would have made it sooner to market and that's often critical in this day and age.

#90459 - 06/01/12 02:23 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: Kevin C Brown]
jam Offline
Gunslinger

XT32 is still a differentiating item for me, so I think there is still value to putting out the 978. But yeah, the more delay there is, obviously, the more potential customers they lose.

But imagine if Marantz releases an AV7007 at $1500 (like the present AV7005) and an AV8007 for about $2600 (like the AV8003) where they would both have XT32, the 978 would be squeezed in between those two much more feature rich processors. I'll tell you one thing, The 978 better sound as good or better than the AV8007 at the price point of the AV7007 if it's to even stand a chance in this battle. It better emulate what the Oppo BDP-95 has achieved in the BD player market in terms of SQ or forget it.

#90460 - 06/01/12 02:23 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: Ritz2]
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

It remains to be seen if XT vs XT32 provides much in the way of audible difference until we see some head to head comparisons. I'm a bit skeptical. Granted, higher resolution is nice to have, but I'm unconvinced that it makes a real difference in this application.

Lots of info about XT32 vs XT in the Audyssey thread at AVS. I'm not convinced XT32 is the quantum improvement over XT that a lot of the fanboys there feel it is, but I do believe it's a fundamental and significant if incremental improvement over XT.

Not just about the higher resolution of XT32's filters, but also how they are applied across the audio spectrum.

But imagine if Marantz releases an AV7007 at $1500 (like the present AV7005) and an AV8007 for about $2600 (like the AV8003) where they would both have XT32, the 978 would be squeezed in between those two much more feature rich processors. I'll tell you one thing, The 978 better sound as good or better than the AV8007 at the price point of the AV7007 if it's to even stand a chance in this battle. It better emulate what the Oppo BDP-95 has achieved in the BD player market in terms of SQ or forget it.

If the SR7007 only has XT, then I really doubt an AV7007 would have XT32.

I would agree otherwise. Let's say that if Marantz does do an AV8007 with XT32. I'd figure discounted to the ~$2250 level. The 978 would have to have a kickass analog output stage before I'd "jump ship" from the AV7005 to the 978 vs just "moving up" to the prospective AV8007. But I'd still certainly consider Outlaw as a competitor though.

But like a lot of people, I just use a processor for physical disc movies and music. I personally don't care about streaming and internet connectivity, aside from easy peasy f/w upgrades.

Edited by Kevin C Brown (06/01/12 02:29 PM)

#90461 - 06/01/12 02:28 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: Kevin C Brown]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

It remains to be seen if XT vs XT32 provides much in the way of audible difference until we see some head to head comparisons. I'm a bit skeptical. Granted, higher resolution is nice to have, but I'm unconvinced that it makes a real difference in this application.

Lots of info about XT32 vs XT in the Audyssey thread at AVS. I'm not convinced XT32 is the quantum improvement over XT that a lot of the fanboys there feel it is, but I do believe it's a fundamental and significant if incremental improvement over XT.

Not just about the higher resolution of XT32's filters, but also how they are applied across the audio spectrum.

On paper, it looks nice. But on paper 512x oversampling looks better than 4x oversampling. Can you or I hear a difference? That's where my skepticism lies. At the end of the day, none of this matters for Outlaw. The 978 is going to be DOA due to a lack of features, not because of the sound quality or the delivery date.

Best,

#90462 - 06/01/12 02:55 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: Kevin C Brown]
jam Offline
Gunslinger

If the SR7007 only has XT, then I really doubt an AV7007 would have XT32.

I would agree otherwise. Let's say that if Marantz does do an AV8007 with XT32. I'd figure discounted to the ~$2250 level. The 978 would have to have a kickass analog output stage before I'd "jump ship" from the AV7005 to the 978 vs just "moving up" to the prospective AV8007. But I'd still certainly consider Outlaw as a competitor though.

But like a lot of people, I just use a processor for physical disc movies and music. I personally don't care about streaming and internet connectivity, aside from easy peasy f/w upgrades.

But don't forget that the AV7007 while having a fairly refined balanced pre-out stage would not have the whole multichannel amplifier section of the receiver and the cost associated with that. Furthermore, XT32 can basically pretty much run on the same TI DSP platform as XT if we're to believe Audyssey's claims.

I agree, people that don't care much about streaming from the Internet, myself included, will still consider the 978. Although, the added streaming DLNA features from a NAS for instance could potentially tilt the balance, SQ being equal. But like I said, it better damn well sound awesome.

#90464 - 06/01/12 04:04 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: jam]
Hank Offline
Desperado

Loc: Austin, Texas, USA
Damn right, jam!
I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with Ritz2. Lack of features won't kill the 978. If you want lots of features, buy an AVR. If you want feature overload, buy a high-end AVR or pre/pro. All along, since Outlaw's refocus from 998 to 978, the product has been about world-class SQ rather than having as many "features" as possible. I would venture to say that the majority of us waiting for the 978 are looking forward to SQ and a well-implemented complimentary feature set.

#90465 - 06/01/12 04:33 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: Hank]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

I agree with Hank in that a lack of features won't kill the 978 as long as the price is right. However for a new customer with less experience with equipment the 978 is going to appear overpricedd even at $900. Those of us who have ridden this train for the last 4 years understood that the 997/998/978 would be extraordinary sounding without a lot of bells and whistles. If it had come out two years back it still would have lacked some features but we were ready for that. D&M has marched too far ahead for Outlaw to keep pace.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE

#90466 - 06/01/12 05:32 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: XenonMan]
jam Offline
Gunslinger

That's an excellent point XenonMan about the experience level of the potential customers. I think their only and last hope lies with extraordinary SQ at an ordinary price.

#90467 - 06/01/12 07:16 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: jam]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

I am afraid the $1500 price will make many potential customers look elsewhere.

TV System

Home Theater System
Harmony ONE

#90469 - 06/01/12 11:17 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: XenonMan]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Even at $1000, it's a non-starter. Stick a fork in the 978 unless they're prepared to practically give it away. And even then....that's coming from a dyed in the wool Outlaw fan who owned an entire Outlaw system from soup to nuts.

Best,

#90470 - 06/01/12 11:58 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: Ritz2]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

If I remember correctly the original price of the 997 was going to be $1500 and in the launch (LOL) announcement of the 978 PeterT said the pricing would be about the same. It will have to be one helluva device at that price if it makes it to market at all. You would think all this negativity would stir someone at Outlaw to get off the couch and give us an update NOW!!! Maybe they can have another super secret door sale because the last two have been duds IMO.

TV System

Home Theater System
Harmony ONE

#90471 - 06/02/12 02:32 AM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: Ritz2]
beyond 1000 Offline
Gunslinger

Even at $1000, it's a non-starter. Stick a fork in the 978 unless they're prepared to practically give it away. And even then....that's coming from a dyed in the wool Outlaw fan who owned an entire Outlaw system from soup to nuts.

Best,

Sadly this is the MONEY post right here. Sadly Outlaw is falling so far behind that there seems to be more hope for the European Union than for the 978. Outlaw cannot seem to get a product out on time. I wonder if they have been forgotten in the audio/video circles.

#90472 - 06/02/12 04:04 AM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: beyond 1000]
DOBEMAN Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lake Michigan Shoreline, MI
I have not checked the outlaw page in almost a year. Came back today to find that the 978 is still not in production. Two years now and still nothing, can you believe it? Not suprised but wish they would have moved this thing along by now. My new theater room has been finished for a while and I made some nice upgrades this time. My Outlaw gear is working fine but I would like to do some audio upgrades, just because everything else is new. I read the last few posts about price for the new 978. If Outlaw hits it out of the ballpark with the new 978, I think they will have no problem getting 1500+ for a quality product. It might even be a bargain. Checking back in a few months and hope to find Outlaw has a production date released. Enjoy your summer.

#90473 - 06/02/12 07:44 AM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: DOBEMAN]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

As long as you check in every 2 years you won't miss many updates!!!

TV System

Home Theater System
Harmony ONE

#90474 - 06/02/12 09:26 AM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: XenonMan]
Retep Offline
Gunslinger

I just bought a new house and I'm in the process of setting up my media room. I've been holding out and can still hold out a bit longer, but I wanted to put my entire equipment rack in the back closet and just run 1 hdmi cable to the front of the room. That's not going to happen with the 990, so, I'm not sure how much longer I can go. I'm getting married in September and would like to have everything finished, which means the media room will have to be patched up and painted by then.

If Marantz came out with the processor that had everything their new receivers have, I'd be hard pressed not to buy one. I already use air tunes and their units are awfully perrrrdy.

I would even be curious to know if the 978 is in beta testing?

#90475 - 06/02/12 11:08 AM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: XenonMan]
beyond 1000 Offline
Gunslinger

Priceless and sad.

#90476 - 06/02/12 11:12 AM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: Retep]
beyond 1000 Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: Retep
I'm getting married in September and would like to have everything finished,

Please check with your fiancee and ask her if she is willing to postpone the wedding and check for how long. Then get back to us or have her email Outlaw. If she does get an answer find out and post here ASAP.

Good luck on your wedding day.

Edited by beyond 1000 (06/02/12 11:13 AM)

#90479 - 06/02/12 01:35 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: beyond 1000]
ndskurfer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Bismarck, ND
There is no optimistic posts in this thread (except maybe the first expecting an update??). I have talked myself out of expecting a positive update some time ago, a lot less frustrating for me now smile.

#90480 - 06/02/12 02:11 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: beyond 1000]
Retep Offline
Gunslinger

I'm getting married in September and would like to have everything finished,

Please check with your fiancee and ask her if she is willing to postpone the wedding and check for how long. Then get back to us or have her email Outlaw. If she does get an answer find out and post here ASAP.

Good luck on your wedding day.

Thanks, now help me escape! eek

Ha! That would be the end of me, especially since her entire family is traveling form New Zealand and they already have tickets.

#90482 - 06/02/12 08:57 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: XenonMan]
jam Offline
Gunslinger

Good one XenonMan! laugh

#90483 - 06/02/12 10:18 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: Retep]
beyond 1000 Offline
Gunslinger

[quote=beyond 1000][quote=Retep]

Thanks, now help me escape! eek

Ha! That would be the end of me, especially since her entire family is traveling form New Zealand and they already have tickets.

For goodness sake Retep OUTLAW will cover their tickets and you can stay at my place.

On second thought stay with the wedding plans and put in for a Marantz 7005 in the bridal registry. Quite honestly I have my doubts that the 978 will be released by your wedding day in September.

#90486 - 06/02/12 11:08 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: beyond 1000]
S. Sharkey Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Canada
It's no good to pine...

#90487 - 06/03/12 02:44 AM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: Ritz2]
jam Offline
Gunslinger

It remains to be seen if XT vs XT32 provides much in the way of audible difference until we see some head to head comparisons. I'm a bit skeptical. Granted, higher resolution is nice to have, but I'm unconvinced that it makes a real difference in this application. I kinda like the Emotiva approach where they're apparently using embedded linux and fast DSPs. In theory, you should be able to upgrade to the latest/greatest code as long as the cpu has enough grunt to support it. I like that MUCH better than the ancien regime where you are basically tied to whatever was implemented on the day of manufacture plus or minus minor tweaks.

Best,

Ritz,

As I previously posted weeks ago, one of the criticisms of MultEQ XT by many audiophiles is the relatively low number of filter points. This has led some owners of very high-end stereo systems to observe that MultEQ XT adds a veil to the original balance of the sound or decreases transparency; an observation not shared by all I might add.

I've owned a Tact Audio M2150 class D amp for over 10 years and I've followed the Tact Audio User's Group threads on Yahoo's Groups for many years. I was considering a few years ago to get into Tact's RCS solution (Room Correction System). Tact's RCS supports 10K filter points over the 20KHz audio range, effectively giving it a 2Hz resolution. The Tact Audio digital room correction technology being designed for a single listener position and not being affordable to me at $10K back then ($15K now) for the multichannel TCS processor and about $5K for the two-channel RCS preamplifier prompted me to wait patiently for many years for other similar technologies to mature. The anecdote about Tact Audio's RCS, admittedly coming from Tact RCS users themselves, is that you have to put your head in a vise not to loose most of the correction effect. Audyssey's MultEQ, similarly to Lyngdorf Audio's RoomPerfect, Peter Lyngdorf being the co-founder of Tact Audio until he left about 6 years later to start Lyngdorf Audio, are digital room correction technologies that have been designed to allow room correction over a fairly wide listening area. I personally find this capability fairly important unless you always listen alone but on movies, how many people from a family really watch alone?

Now that MultEQ XT32 also has over 10K filter points, my anecdotal observations from the various reviews I've read on it lead me to believe, and I could be wrong, that it has been embraced much more widely by the audiophile community, even by some of the previous critics of XT.

These days, all A/V processors and receivers that offer some form of digital room correction feature programmable DSPs as opposed to fixed-function DSPs like a decade ago. Tact Audio has being doing it for over 10 years and Audyssey for almost 10 years. The A/V processors and receivers that run MultEQ XT and XT32 typically feature a pair of TI's higher-end Aureus digital audio processors that integrate not only a DSP core but also an ARM RISC processor core. Those DSPs have to first decode the licensed audio codecs (DD, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS Master Audio, FLAC, etc.) and then apply digital room correction on top or whatever else feature the user may have chosen. Audyssey like Dolby or DTS provide their software code to the licensees that run it on the DSPs and those licensing manufacturers have to integrate that code with other features of their own like customs control software and if they choose an embedded OS like Linux or QNX. And in theory, you're correct, they should be able to install new software features so long as the processor has enough power and specially if the system has enough RAM and flash ROM to be able to install them in the first place.

I'll leave you with a review of XT32 on the Integra DHC-80.2 A/V processor from Kalman Rubinson of Stereophile. Kalman has tested many of these digital room correction systems over the years including the Tact RCS, Lyngdorf RoomPerfect, Anthem ARC, etc.

You can also read this recent review of the Integra DTR-80.3 A/V Receiver on Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity where the reviewer gives his impressions of XT32.

Edited by jam (06/03/12 03:32 AM)

#90488 - 06/03/12 04:09 AM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: jam]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Hey Jam,

Thanks for the pointers to the Integra processor reviews. The 80.3 looks SWEET. smile

I'll have to give the XT32 processing a listen.

Best,

#90495 - 06/04/12 06:59 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: Ritz2]
jam Offline
Gunslinger

Ideally, you'd have to find a dealer that sells a processor or receiver with XT32 and that also happens to have the older model of that same gear with XT from his used gear lot. Now if that dealer were to be kind and patient enough to setup a system with the XT gear and do the calibration, then allow you to listen to a few tracks and then insert the XT32 gear in place of the XT, that would be the best possible comparison. But in practice, finding a dealer with the necessary gear and the extra-ordinary patience and willingness to perform those tests is highly improbable.

Edited by jam (06/04/12 07:00 PM)

#90501 - 06/05/12 04:59 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: jam]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

Some pessimists help to temper false hope while others just grow tiresome...

Thanks for including the links about other systems that include XT32. I think too many people are overly pessimistic about the prospects for what the 978 is likely to deliver.

btw I fully agree that audio shops with the ability to allow for meaningfull comparisons are increasingly rare, and even the concept of A/B systems /components is foreign to some dealers way of doing business. In a way I can rememmber when Linn tried to make his dealers agree to "single strand" their showrooms and that did not seem to be a particularly good way to foster consumer loyalty, but OTOH I know that when I go past the Porsche dealer they don't have Corvette on hand for me to test drive so I can sorta undderstand the mindset from either side of the arguement. With those things in mind (and knowing the limits on doing XT32 settings without a PC and associated license controlled software) I have suggested that the Outlaws work on way to get into select retail channels as a FEATURE of the 978. Who knows if they take such input seriously (or even check the boards at all, heck they'd probably end-up like Lane Pryce if they read some of these comments... crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy)

( cut a lot of tresoe stuff that has been rehashed too many times...)
As I previously posted weeks ago, one of the criticisms of MultEQ XT by many audiophiles is the relatively low number of filter points. This has led some owners of very high-end stereo systems to observe that MultEQ XT adds a veil to the original balance of the sound or decreases transparency; an observation not shared by all I might add.

I've owned a Tact Audio M2150 class D amp for over 10 years and I've followed the Tact Audio User's Group threads on Yahoo's Groups for many years. I was considering a few years ago to get into Tact's RCS solution (Room Correction System). Tact's RCS supports 10K filter points over the 20KHz audio range, effectively giving it a 2Hz resolution. The Tact Audio digital room correction technology being designed for a single listener position and not being affordable to me at $10K back then ($15K now) for the multichannel TCS processor and about $5K for the two-channel RCS preamplifier prompted me to wait patiently for many years for other similar technologies to mature. The anecdote about Tact Audio's RCS, admittedly coming from Tact RCS users themselves, is that you have to put your head in a vise not to loose most of the correction effect. Audyssey's MultEQ, similarly to Lyngdorf Audio's RoomPerfect, Peter Lyngdorf being the co-founder of Tact Audio until he left about 6 years later to start Lyngdorf Audio, are digital room correction technologies that have been designed to allow room correction over a fairly wide listening area. I personally find this capability fairly important unless you always listen alone but on movies, how many people from a family really watch alone?
Now that MultEQ XT32 also has over 10K filter points, my anecdotal observations from the various reviews I've read on it lead me to believe, and I could be wrong, that it has been embraced much more widely by the audiophile community, even by some of the previous critics of XT.

These days, all A/V processors and receivers that offer some form of digital room correction feature programmable DSPs as opposed to fixed-function DSPs like a decade ago. Tact Audio has being doing it for over 10 years and Audyssey for almost 10 years. The A/V processors and receivers that run MultEQ XT and XT32 typically feature a pair of TI's higher-end Aureus digital audio processors that integrate not only a DSP core but also an ARM RISC processor core. Those DSPs have to first decode the licensed audio codecs (DD, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS Master Audio, FLAC, etc.) and then apply digital room correction on top or whatever else feature the user may have chosen. Audyssey like Dolby or DTS provide their software code to the licensees that run it on the DSPs and those licensing manufacturers have to integrate that code with other features of their own like customs control software and if they choose an embedded OS like Linux or QNX. And in theory, you're correct, they should be able to install new software features so long as the processor has enough power and specially if the system has enough RAM and flash ROM to be able to install them in the first place.

I'll leave you with a review of XT32 on the Integra DHC-80.2 A/V processor from Kalman Rubinson of Stereophile. Kalman has tested many of these digital room correction systems over the years including the Tact RCS, Lyngdorf RoomPerfect, Anthem ARC, etc.

You can also read this recent review of the Integra DTR-80.3 A/V Receiver on Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity where the reviewer gives his impressions of XT32.

#90538 - 06/07/12 10:09 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: jam]
Bill Mac Offline
Gunslinger

Ideally, you'd have to find a dealer that sells a processor or receiver with XT32 and that also happens to have the older model of that same gear with XT from his used gear lot. Now if that dealer were to be kind and patient enough to setup a system with the XT gear and do the calibration, then allow you to listen to a few tracks and then insert the XT32 gear in place of the XT, that would be the best possible comparison. But in practice, finding a dealer with the necessary gear and the extra-ordinary patience and willingness to perform those tests is highly improbable.

I think it would be best to do the comparison in ones own room. I had the Onkyo 886 for over 3 years and found XT worked well for movies and at times for MCH Hi-Rez music. I never used XT for 2CH music as I did not find the SQ to my liking.

I recently bought a Denon 4311 with XT32 and it is a nice improvement over the 886 with XT. The most significant gains are how my Rythmik F12SE sub blends with my Salk SongTowers. Another noticable gain is how much better my surrounds blend with my LCR speakers especially with MCH music. I have been enjoying 2CH music with XT32 enabled as well. Although my comparisons were not the least bit scientific I feel XT32 is a nice improvement over XT. YMMV smile.

So unless one has experience with both XT and XT32 it is hard to pass judgement either positive or negative wink.

Bill

#90541 - 06/08/12 02:29 AM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: Bill Mac]
jam Offline
Gunslinger

Bill, thank you for your observations and impressions of XT and XT32, many here will find them interesting. While those observations come across different brands and designs, they still have some valuable insights.

In my last post I wanted to describe a scenario where one would ideally compare models from the same lineage of a particular brand in order to have a more apples to apples comparison of the differences between XT and XT32. For instance one could compare the older Integra DHC-9.9 or DHC-80.1 with MultEQ XT to the newer Integra DHC-80.2 or DHC-80.3 with MultEQ XT32. Aside from a few new features in the newer units, those processors share many similarities in terms of the analog output stage designs and parts used in them. But as I said, it's very difficult to find two of those units in the same place and to arrange comparative listening tests or have the shop lend you both units to take home for a weekend.

Indeed, I agree with you that to be able to pass judgement, one needs to have experience with both flavors of MultEQ. I find your comment about how you enjoy listening to stereo music with XT32 enabled very interesting as I've read similar comments from other users on various forums. My anecdotal observations from some user comments are that this was less the case with XT or at least more open to debate.

BTW, in case you missed it on AVS forums, I replied to your post on the Marantz AV7007 thread about an article on Big Picture Big Sound about the SR7007 receiver. This article was brought to our attention on this forum courtesy of rubbersoul.

#90719 - 06/19/12 11:39 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: 73Bruin]
ndskurfer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Bismarck, ND
Originally Posted By: 73Bruin
The way things are going, Outlaw will be selling a Marantz SR5007 with the amps disabled before the 978 ships. Makes you almost wonder why they don't have Marantz create an OEM version of the 500x line every year without the power-amps and an Outlaw faceplate and call it the 91x.

Just thought I would bump this posting, although the current sr5007 for sale does have the amps enabled..

#90725 - 06/20/12 06:49 AM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: ndskurfer]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Add another 6 months to the 978 ship date!!

TV System

Home Theater System
Harmony ONE

#90726 - 06/20/12 08:51 AM Re: The utter pointlessness of this thread... [Re: XenonMan]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

... sorta shocks me. It was started as almost a "throw down" to the Outlaw management to give some info "or else". I find that rather silly. The official word was sent out in March Pretty clear stated in that update was that many months of work, some of which would be on timetables out of the control of the firm, lay ahead. At the end of that road, according to the official word, the expected information on ordering would be disseminated through Outlaw's regular channels -- primarily email and this site. Nothing has changed!

Their attempt to make the addition of the SR5007 a bit of a "special event" apparently did not have too much buy in from Marantz that has already supplied the specs, photos and features to other retailers. True to the Outlaw business model they have tried to make their offering more attractive via their value pricing. Not a bad plan, but hardly a sign that D7M and Outlaw are joined at the hip...

I see absolutely no correlation between the timing of offering from Marantz and the upcoming 978. Zero, If the regulatory and certification schedules are favorable maybe the 978 is right around the corner. If things are more backed up I fully except we'l have to wait every bit of the "many months"... {in unscientific calendar making I believe folks who say "a couple of months" mean more than one and not quite three", a "few months" in such term means more than two and less than six, and "many months" is anything short of a year...).

The features being so uniform access the SRx007 line frankly don't give me much hope of the rumored AVx007 being much of an upgrade, though I'll keep those comment confined to the Marantz threads for simplicity.

(and despite my quoting of XenonMan please don't feel that anything is directed to any one poster on this thread, more of a general shout out at the whole idea of forcing the Outlaws to ever spill the beans about anything lately...)

Add another 6 months to the 978 ship date!!

#90728 - 06/20/12 10:45 AM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: md]
Robert Werner Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Idaho wilderness
Ho Hum...YADT (yet another delay tactic) Just got off the Sneak Preview site where the SR5007 receiver is the feature of the day.

Is there really a demand for receivers? I get the impression that given the state of Outlaw's inventory, they would like us to dump our amps and pre/pros and just simplify our systems with the occasional purchase of a receiver. They have to "throw us a little bait" occasionally or there would be no point in checking in here more often than every couple years, as one gunslinger put it. I certainly wouldn't advise anyone who needs a preamp to wait. When and if it appears, whether to purchase it will be a real-time decision you make then.

#90731 - 06/20/12 01:36 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: Robert Werner]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

The correlation I see between the release of another piece of gear which will compete with the 978 is simply that several years back, Outlaw decided to offer the Onkyo PR-SC886 as a "temporary" solution to the lack of a processor beyond the 990 so that customers would have an Outlaw supported processor to match up with an Outlaw amp. This solution has continued with various offering from Onkyo and Marantz for the last 3 years through the 997/998/978 development process. As I see it , as long as Outlaw feels the need to supply us with an alternate processor/receiver, they do not have a processor of their own on the immediate horizon. A new offering to me is a veiled update that the 978 is not in our immediate future.

TV System

Home Theater System
Harmony ONE

#90732 - 06/20/12 02:10 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: XenonMan]
Hank Offline
Desperado

Consider also, that Outlaw perceives us as audiophiles, and as such, may all have secondary systems that are above average and therefore we might want to buy a very good receiver for our second systems. Pretty good marketing as I see it.

#90734 - 06/20/12 02:28 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: Hank]
twistybox Offline
Gunslinger

IMO, the best strategy would have been to continue selling the 990 as other companies like ATI Amplifiers and Parasound have continued to sell their out-dated pre-amps and processors. At least with Outlaw there's some talk of a new model. Those other two companies have nothing in the wind that I've heard of. smile

#90735 - 06/20/12 10:02 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: Hank]
jacket_fan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted By: Hank
Consider also, that Outlaw perceives us as audiophiles, and as such, may all have secondary systems that are above average and therefore we might want to buy a very good receiver for our second systems. Pretty good marketing as I see it.

Hank, you have been a voice of reason on this forum, but I see this offering as nothing but an attempt to keep Outlaw viable. I still believe that the 978 is in beta (the absence of Gonk is critical here) and this is simply a delaying tactic as previously stated. I do not see this announcement as good marketing. Heck my second system has an old Denon receiver doing AVR duties. (Although I may not be a true audiophile smirk ) I have no intention in changing that setup anytime in the future. It still amazes me that Outlaw offers competitors products. Maybe I am clueless about good marketing. wink

mj

#90736 - 06/20/12 11:35 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: jacket_fan]
beyond 1000 Offline
Gunslinger

Another nail in the delay coffin of the 978. This isn't a home theater forum...its the forum of the absurd. The endless discussion on the 978 is alienating fans of Outlaw. As I posted before, I want to buy the 978 but when it's time to buy and nothing is in the tangibles by Outlaw I will be knocking on Marantz' door.

#90740 - 06/21/12 01:44 AM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: beyond 1000]
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

As I have posted before, Outlaw would probably have been better served continuing with the partnership with Sherwood Newcastle and the Korean firm that made the 990.
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay

#90743 - 06/21/12 10:33 AM Re: Looking backwards... [Re: 73Bruin]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

Shoulda coulda woulda...

Honestly, have you talked to any dealers that dealt in the Sherwood products? The Trinnov was / is among the slickest setups ever for getting eq / balance / delay / phase settings optimized auto-magically BUT the rest of that unit has been plagued with qc / reliability / issues and an UI that is from the dark ages of OSD.

Personally I would never put up with those kind of issues in any product, especially one that was supposed to be a good long term investment...

The issue of whether it would've made sense to stick with a unit that offered better SQ / reliability but ZERO in the way of modern connectivity / convenience / calibration is similarly easy for me to give a thumbs down -- heck how many folks have weighed in here saying that even the fabulous range of modern convenience items that are rolled into units like 5007 are not appealing enough to overlook lack of XT32 or balanced outputs? It is one thing to try a play at "retro purist" (like the P7) and another to have a stack of slick source devices that have no way to be "plumbed" into a modern AV setup. I am sure the legions of folks that drive their flat panels or projectors EXCLUSIVELY through an Oppo are happy to have the P7 but I sorta like to have surround on more than just that one source and there is no way my goofy room is ever gonna get by w/o a bunch of EQ...

Ultimately the choice of a "manufacturing partner" is one of those "live and learn" kind of things. I remember back when even the much admired Apple was ridiculed for having notoriously short inventory. Now they are a model of how to have the "pipeline" ready to unleash the floodgate of product on its eager buyers. That did not happen overnight. If they made foolish choices in manufacturing partners that could have "delivered" quantity but had angry hordes of DOA / malfunctioning units with poor qc they would have been wiped out. As for the 978 I will gladly endure a long development cycle so long as the units "just work" from the first power-up until well into the next "next big thing", which by the looks of what minor headway has been made by firms outside the mainstream is looking pretty meager...

#90745 - 06/21/12 11:57 AM Re: Looking backwards... [Re: renov8r]
hifihunter Offline
Gunslinger

Well said renov8r. Shoulda coulda woulda...

As outsiders we don’t know the terms and working relationship between Sherwood (Inkel??) and OutlawAudio. I had worked at a startup on a very innovative project (think along the line of Facebook but it was over 10 years ago :>). From that experience, I learned that there is a time it seems right just to walk away and cut your loss, no matter how promising the end product could be and how much blood and sweat you have put in. Perhaps I should have tried harder to stay on. No. I did not make a dime from that :<

Just want to add my .02 to the Sherwood R972.

After my new home theater room was finally completed early last year I was pounding on Scott’s door to be the first one to get the 978 (meanwhile using the 1070 as a stop gap). Months and quarters went by and still without the 978. Eventually I acquired a Sherwood R972 with Trinnov as a dare even after hearing all the initial horror stories from various forums. Honestly I was surprised how well Trinnov in the R972 works in my setup (R972 feeding the Outlaw 7125 amp driving PSB Synchrony Speakers). The sound field was simply amazing. I heard all the nuances I had never noticed before. Even my wife asked me if I upgraded the system and she cannot tell the difference between my ProAC Response 2S driven by Monarchy Audio gears and my JVC bookshelf system. The R972 does work relatively bug free in my setup but not without some annoyances. The GUI is dated and it’s very confusing to operate to select the different sound options (perhaps it’s just me). I am afraid to touch it after it is now configured :> It also takes a second or two for the R972 to lock on digital audio streams. Each time the audio stream is “paused” like when you pause a movie, it takes another second or so for it to lock on again. For movies it is not that much of an issue since you don’t skip around too much. However, it gets more annoying when you jump from channel to channel watching cable TVs. Perhaps this is a hardware/design limitation since multiple firmware updates did not eliminate that delay. From following the R972 since it came out end of 2009 (I believe) it took Sherwood months and months if not a year to get most of the kinks out. Hey by the way, I heard their latest firmware 1.48 introduces loud pops via HDMI (since I only use SPDIF for digital audio, I have not noticed any issue yet) that many people had to roll back to 1.47. Outlaw might not even have a choice other than walking away from Sherwood. I am sure they did not expect all the delays associated with their 978.
Wish List: Outlaw Audio OSB-1, Oppo BDP-105, Fineline LCR-11

#90747 - 06/21/12 01:24 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: 73Bruin]
jam Offline
Gunslinger

As I have posted before, Outlaw would probably have been better served continuing with the partnership with Sherwood Newcastle and the Korean firm that made the 990.

That's also the conclusion I've drawn over the last year. In their March 2010 briefing, Outlaw cited the introduction of HDMI 1.4 and 3D to the market as well as delays to Outlaw-specific changes to the common platform as the main reasons why they killed the deal with Inkel. But as consumers, we aren't privy to the whole business relationship between Outlaw and Inkel, there may be others reasons why Outlaw got out. Maybe it was a rash decision brought about by impatience over the longer than expected development cycle... who knows. However, I doubt that the release of Inkel developped 997 processor would have taken as long as restarting a whole new development cycle from scratch with a new Chinese contract partner.

#90749 - 06/21/12 02:44 PM Re: Looking backwards... [Re: hifihunter]
Retep Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: hifihunter

As outsiders we don’t know the terms and working relationship between Sherwood (Inkel??) and OutlawAudio. I had worked at a startup on a very innovative project (think along the line of Facebook but it was over 10 years ago :>). From that experience, I learned that there is a time it seems right just to walk away and cut your loss, no matter how promising the end product could be and how much blood and sweat you have put in. Perhaps I should have tried harder to stay on. No. I did not make a dime from that :<

After my new home theater room was finally completed early last year I was pounding on Scott’s door to be the first one to get the 978 (meanwhile using the 1070 as a stop gap). Months and quarters went by and still without the 978. Eventually I acquired a Sherwood R972 with Trinnov as a dare even after hearing all the initial horror stories from various forums. Honestly I was surprised how well Trinnov in the R972 works in my setup (R972 feeding the Outlaw 7125 amp driving PSB Synchrony Speakers). The sound field was simply amazing. I heard all the nuances I had never noticed before. Even my wife asked me if I upgraded the system and she cannot tell the difference between my ProAC Response 2S driven by Monarchy Audio gears and my JVC bookshelf system. The R972 does work relatively bug free in my setup but not without some annoyances. The GUI is dated and it’s very confusing to operate to select the different sound options (perhaps it’s just me). I am afraid to touch it after it is now configured :> It also takes a second or two for the R972 to lock on digital audio streams. Each time the audio stream is “paused” like when you pause a movie, it takes another second or so for it to lock on again. For movies it is not that much of an issue since you don’t skip around too much. However, it gets more annoying when you jump from channel to channel watching cable TVs. Perhaps this is a hardware/design limitation since multiple firmware updates did not eliminate that delay. From following the R972 since it came out end of 2009 (I believe) it took Sherwood months and months if not a year to get most of the kinks out. Hey by the way, I heard their latest firmware 1.48 introduces loud pops via HDMI (since I only use SPDIF for digital audio, I have not noticed any issue yet) that many people had to roll back to 1.47. Outlaw might not even have a choice other than walking away from Sherwood. I am sure they did not expect all the delays associated with their 978.
'

When I read posts like yours and renov8r regarding Trinnov, it just makes me wish Outlaw would have produce a pre with Trinnov even more. What a bummer.

#90750 - 06/21/12 03:17 PM Re: Looking backwards... [Re: Retep]
hifihunter Offline
Gunslinger

Retep,

I know what you mean. For quite a while I was keeping my hopes up that Outlaw might revisit the Trinnov Optimizer option one day after 978. Until recently Outlaw was listed as a Licensing partner on Trinnov Audio's web site but it has since been removed. Only Sherwood (Licensing) and ADA (OEM) are on Trinnov's site now. I am not holding my breath for an Trinnov offering from Outlaw Audio any time in the near future. Like you said.. what a bummer.
Wish List: Outlaw Audio OSB-1, Oppo BDP-105, Fineline LCR-11

#90751 - 06/21/12 03:42 PM Re: Looking backwards... [Re: Retep]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

There are a ton of very well researched products that make it out of the gates and then the firm that owns the patents runs into such enormous headwinds in the marketplac that they just cannot make up the gaps that exist in the marketing against their competition. I think that definately is the situation with Trinnov. That said the guys that run Trinnov might still work with Outlaw as I don't think they've decided to give up on home users. Firms like Dirac have licensed their technology to Oppo for some kind of cell phone ?!? (probably for Asian markets, but still...)

The focus on the 978 certainly would suggest that anything "above and beyond" is way way way down the road. The good thing about Trinnov is that since the technology is scabale if (when???) new methods of specifying additional channels of surround appear in the marketplace the value / ease of integrating the optimizations of Trinnov to the new formats ought to give the firm a huge edge.

Who knows, maybe Dolby will buy Trinnov and it will help to market the technology more broadly (though the pace of Dolby's efforts with the BrightSide / HDR /"DolbyVision" marketing has been anything but stellar) or maybe it will wither / remain an obscure niche ... The thought that a tiny high end company that probably has sold fewer system in its whole existence than even companies like Wilson Audio will be the only source of Trinnov just seems unlikely. I mean I got nothing against ADA, but short of custom installers in the Hamptons I doubt too many folks are exposed to it kind of hardware...

BTW When I demo'd a Sherwood 972 at my local audio dealer's shop I knew that the "flaw" of dropping the audio when changing TV stations while still attached to the same source was a total deal killer that my family would not put up with. The dealer''s honesty in tellling me he did believe it would be possible for any "firm ware" to change that prevented me from pulling the trigger on that purchase. I trust that his knowledge of all the details that would have been needed to re-engineer the whole HDMI layer on that device was correct. I suspect the Outlaws may have learned the same thing and I suspect that the lessons they learned from that will make their upcoming offerings the kind of products that you listen to ALL THE TIME, as opposed to the sort of product that your wife / kids relegate to "dad's pile of stuff that we think sucks despite how much he spent on it" wink ...

'

When I read posts like yours and renov8r regarding Trinnov, it just makes me wish Outlaw would have produce a pre with Trinnov even more. What a bummer.

#90752 - 06/21/12 03:59 PM Re: Looking backwards... [Re: hifihunter]
happy2 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NH
Yes Trinnov's spatial mapping to make even poorly laid out rooms sound good, is what I was looking for. I was ready to buy the 997 or 998 but if Outlaw doesn't offer that, am leaning more toward the Emotiva XCM-1.

#90753 - 06/21/12 04:19 PM Re: Looking backwards... [Re: renov8r]
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

BTW When I demo'd a Sherwood 972 at my local audio dealer's shop I knew that the "flaw" of dropping the audio when changing TV stations while still attached to the same source was a total deal killer that my family would not put up with. The dealer''s honesty in tellling me he did believe it would be possible for any "firm ware" to change that prevented me from pulling the trigger on that purchase. I trust that his knowledge of all the details that would have been needed to re-engineer the whole HDMI layer on that device was correct. I suspect the Outlaws may have learned the same thing and I suspect that the lessons they learned from that will make their upcoming offerings the kind of products that you listen to ALL THE TIME, as opposed to the sort of product that your wife / kids relegate to "dad's pile of stuff that we think sucks despite how much he spent on it" wink ...

Sorry, but you say this as if Outlaw always ships a flawless pre-pro. How many releases did it take to get the best Outlaw pre-pro the 990 correct - 3 or more? Over how many years? What about the 970/1070 and their no-audio issues? Do you think that didn't have wife acceptance issues.

It will be interesting to see if Sherwood ships an updated Trinov unit with a year of the 978 shipping.

Edited by 73Bruin (06/21/12 05:29 PM)
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay

#90757 - 06/21/12 07:06 PM Re: Looking backwards... [Re: Retep]
jam Offline
Gunslinger

Retep,
I know what you mean. For quite a while I was keeping my hopes up that Outlaw might revisit the Trinnov Optimizer option one day after 978. Until recently Outlaw was listed as a Licensing partner on Trinnov Audio's web site but it has since been removed. Only Sherwood (Licensing) and ADA (OEM) are on Trinnov's site now. I am not holding my breath for an Trinnov offering from Outlaw Audio any time in the near future. Like you said.. what a bummer.

The more reason to wish that Outlaw had hung in there with Sherwood/Inkel. Now according to what rubbersoul reports from his phone conversation with Jennifer of Outlaw, the 998 has been completely dropped and replaced by the 978. One never knows if Outlaw will reconsider this decision sometime in the future but like you said, I wouldn't hold my breath. Very sad...

#90758 - 06/22/12 12:06 AM Re: Looking backwards... [Re: hifihunter]
unpossible Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Minneapolis
This post by renov8r had me LOL -

make their upcoming offerings the kind of products that you listen to ALL THE TIME, as opposed to the sort of product that your wife / kids relegate to "dad's pile of stuff that we think sucks despite how much he spent on it" wink ...

My wife thought it was good too, even without the context (probably just as well without the context actually). Tweak 'slightly by changing "listen to" to "use" (as I did when I read to my wife), and it seems like a good principle to go after in this situation, and many others.

#90760 - 06/22/12 07:35 AM MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: unpossible]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Looks like the price pressure is going to be intense. I did some preliminary shopping today and found the Onkyo TX-NR3008 on Amazon for $1299 (free shipping if you subscribe to Amazon Prime). It's rockin' the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 goodness. For another $50, there's also the Onkyo TX-NR3009 which also sports MultEQ XT32. Both offer all the current bells and whistles that you'd come to expect from a modern AVR (but mostly missing in the proposed Outlaw 978). I'm sure Denon/Marantz won't be far behind in aligning their prices.

Edit: Even Crutchfield is getting in on the action. For $999 you can get the Onkyo TX-NR818. Also rockin' Audyssey MultEQ XT32.

Best,

Edited by Ritz2 (06/22/12 07:50 AM)

#90761 - 06/22/12 09:40 AM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: Ritz2]
twistybox Offline
Gunslinger

RItz, I'm not sure if you've noticed, but the 978 won't be an AVR. I don't think that anyone looking at the 978 is in the market for an AVR. If you believe an AVR is a substitute for a Pre-Pro, well, good luck to you. Oranges and Apples. And you're also looking at Onkyo. Onkyo. Oranges and Apples.

#90762 - 06/22/12 10:48 AM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: twistybox]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Originally Posted By: twistybox
RItz, I'm not sure if you've noticed, but the 978 won't be an AVR. I don't think that anyone looking at the 978 is in the market for an AVR. If you believe an AVR is a substitute for a Pre-Pro, well, good luck to you. Oranges and Apples. And you're also looking at Onkyo. Onkyo. Oranges and Apples.

As far as I'm concerned, an AVR with pre-outs is the same as a pre-pro. All of the units I mentioned have pre-outs. Outlaw would seem to feel the same way since their "temporary" pre-pro offerings have all been AVR's.

As for your dig at Onkyo...it wasn't that long ago that Outlaw was reselling them as their pre-pro offering. You'd think they'd only choose the best stuff to resell to their clients, no? smile

Best,

Edited by Ritz2 (06/22/12 11:00 AM)

#90763 - 06/22/12 11:29 AM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: Ritz2]
beyond 1000 Offline
Gunslinger

As far as I'm concerned, an AVR with pre-outs is the same as a pre-pro. All of the units I mentioned have pre-outs. Outlaw would seem to feel the same way since their "temporary" pre-pro offerings have all been AVR's.

Hey Ritz

Can you give me some helpful information here. I thought that actual pre/pros would have a cleaner more neutral signal path since they do not have and amplifier with larger heatsink in them that could add heat to the system thus "muddying" the sound.

Thus, is an AVR with XT-32 run as a pre/pro as good as an actual pre/pro given the similar options and cost of the units?

Thanks

#90765 - 06/22/12 11:35 AM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: beyond 1000]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Hey Ritz

Can you give me some helpful information here. I thought that actual pre/pros would have a cleaner more neutral signal path since they do not have and amplifier with larger heatsink in them that could add heat to the system thus "muddying" the sound.

Thus, is an AVR with XT-32 run as a pre/pro as good as an actual pre/pro given the similar options and cost of the units?

Thanks

I don't know the answer to that. Of course, you'll get people who claim to hear sound differences based on how much techflex is used on their input cables. smile

Personally, I like the idea of using an AVR to drive the center and surrounds while using pre-outs to a big honking external amp to drive the mains.

Best,

Edited by Ritz2 (06/22/12 11:37 AM)

#90766 - 06/22/12 11:39 AM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: Ritz2]
beyond 1000 Offline
Gunslinger

I have a 7500 driving the mains, center, and surround main and my AVR is driving the surround backs. If I get a pre/pro then I would order a pair of 2200s to drive the surround backs OR is that just overkill?

#90767 - 06/22/12 11:45 AM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: beyond 1000]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

I have a 7500 driving the mains, center, and surround main and my AVR is driving the surround backs. If I get a pre/pro then I would order a pair of 2200s to drive the surround backs OR is that just overkill?

Overkill is in the eye of the beholder. smile But yeah, you'd need to buy another 2 channels of amplification if you got a pre-pro rather than an AVR (and you wanted all 7 channels driven). Personally, I've yet to make the leap past 5.2.

Who was it that was recently opining that we wouldn't be seeing MultEQ XT32 in products selling for less than $2k anytime soon? lol

Best,

Edited by Ritz2 (06/22/12 01:02 PM)

#90768 - 06/22/12 04:34 PM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: Ritz2]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

I want to preference this post with a little background that I may have posted before -- I have been an audio hobbyist for a long time. I worked in a little hi fi shop in college. I have been around both mainstream and more "speciality" audio products for going on 30 years. Over that time I have seen LOTS of products and I know what "trade-offs" basically all manufacturers are willing to make and I think I have a pretty good working understanding of what happens when some of those trade-offs that have pretty obvious sonic consequenses are baked into a system. I help out with "sound reinforcement" projects for local community groups. I get the hows and whys of things like sheilding and the subsequent effect that "noise" can have on eating power that would otherwise be availble for sound amplidication. OK, I do not have "golden ears". I do not waste huge sums of cash on magical products. I know that even some products with a legitimate techincal basis for "superiority" are not really going to manifest those differences except on test instruments.

Preface over.

I do not like or trust pretty much any mainstream AV reciever these days. Most have way too little sheilding, way too optimistic a power rating, fair too little attention to the basics. Low quality components that literally leak signal and have poor physical and thermal stability.

I do not think I am alone in this regard. In fact there is a legitimate "cottage industry" of people that can be called "audio hot rodders / performance modification specialists" that try to address these short comings. One such firm that occaisionally gets discussions lit up is "The Upgrade Company". While I do not doubt that they make a healthy profit on many of their enhancements, and some are likely " 'scope only " in nature, the fact is they charge $1400 to upgrade a top of the line Integra Pre-Pro which is already WAY better built than the run-of-the-mill Onkyo stuff. I am not going to say that Outlaw will deliver results that match the test results of the fully "hopped up" DHC 80.3, and it sure as heck will not be a ladden with features, but for those who get hung up price you really need a litttle perspective : The Upgrade Company Signature Edition DHC 80.3 Pre-Pro Gulp. $3,300 .

I mean, perspective, folks perspective...

#90770 - 06/22/12 07:00 PM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: renov8r]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Let me get this straight. You're implying that a small company like Outlaw will somehow use higher quality components in a processor (with less features) than a large multinational company using the same slave labor pool in China. And then people will pay a higher price for the privilege? Riiiiiiight.....<rolling eyes>

Well, you can go test drive those "substandard" Onkyo units today. If/when Outlaw ships a processor, then you can even compare them. Until then, I don't think you've got much of a leg to stand on WRT relative quality. Perspective is one thing...let's try reality for a change.

Was the Onkyo AVR that Outlaw was selling also substandard? How about the Marantz units they're selling today? Your Upgrade Company modifies those too. Does that mean the stock units are bad? Do tell. They also modify Mark Levinson components. Those must also have quality issues out of the box....

Best regards,

Edited by Ritz2 (06/22/12 07:17 PM)
Edit Reason: forgot stuff

#90771 - 06/22/12 07:15 PM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: Ritz2]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

In a word, YES.

It is not much of a stretch to realize that volumes that an Onkyo or D&M contracts for creates a situation where both the inhouse designers and the production oriented engineers have an incentive to "cheapify" parts that a smaller firm is not going to bother messing with.

Save a few bucks on a run of hundreds of units won't amount to saving the same on tens of thousands of units.

My highest regards,

renov8r

#90772 - 06/22/12 07:16 PM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: renov8r]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

In a word, YES.

It is not much of a stretch to realize that volumes that an Onkyo or D&M contracts for creates a situation where both the inhouse designers and the production oriented engineers have an incentive to "cheapify" parts that a smaller firm is not going to bother messing with.

Save a few bucks on a run of hundreds of units won't amount to saving the same on tens of thousands of units.

<laughing>

You don't get over to China very often, do ya...

#90773 - 06/22/12 07:21 PM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: Ritz2]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

ROTFLMAOOYUS

#90774 - 06/22/12 11:02 PM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: renov8r]
bobm Offline
Gunslinger

I do not like or trust pretty much any mainstream AV reciever these days. Most have way too little sheilding, way too optimistic a power rating, fair too little attention to the basics. Low quality components that literally leak signal and have poor physical and thermal stability.

Interesting, I have searched for Magazine reviews that could back up a claim like this for years in either Sound & Vision or Home Theater lab results. I am not an expert at interpreting the results but I see similar readings (most outstanding according to the review techs) in most AVR’s and Pre/Pro at all price levels.

I recently replaced my Outlaw 950 with a Yamaha RX-A700 (cheap AVR) and I don’t think I am missing anything. In addition, I cannot tell the difference between the internal amp in the AVR vs my external Outlaw amp when using the A700 pre-outs. In fact my OmniMic cannot tell the difference either when recording frequency response. Seems like the technology today is darn good at all levels, at least to my ears and frequently published lab reviews. I am sure there are subtle differences in a properly tuned system and room but I don’t think I could hear them.

Bob

#90775 - 06/22/12 11:38 PM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: bobm]
Retep Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: bobm

Interesting, I have searched for Magazine reviews that could back up a claim like this for years in either Sound & Vision or Home Theater lab results. I am not an expert at interpreting the results but I see similar readings (most outstanding according to the review techs) in most AVR’s and Pre/Pro at all price levels.

I recently replaced my Outlaw 950 with a Yamaha RX-A700 (cheap AVR) and I don’t think I am missing anything. In addition, I cannot tell the difference between the internal amp in the AVR vs my external Outlaw amp when using the A700 pre-outs. In fact my OmniMic cannot tell the difference either when recording frequency response. Seems like the technology today is darn good at all levels, at least to my ears and frequently published lab reviews. I am sure there are subtle differences in a properly tuned system and room but I don’t think I could hear them.

Bob

I'm guessing same type of amplifier? Have you tried andy of the new digital amps or the B&O ICE amps? I haven't had the chance to play with the digital, but I do have a d-sonic ICE amp and I can definitely tell the difference between that and my GFA-7707. Perhaps some A/B amps have reached their peak in performance at all levels.

I think my next DIY project, after I finish the 2 I'm currently working on, will be to build a class d amp with a switching power supply. I've read great things about them, but not sure if they're for me. I

#90776 - 06/23/12 12:08 AM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: Retep]
twistybox Offline
Gunslinger

Someone should call Onkyo and tell them they're doing it wrong selling 3 to 5 different levels of each product class. Or maybe they're doing it right since the only thing that they actually have to change is the name plate, because obviously the insides are the same on all of them.

I haven't seen an AVR with balanced pre-outs. I won't buy a pre-pro without them.

A factory in China will produce the same quality product produced in a factory anywhere else on earth so long as the people responsible for payment manage the process to their own standards. Dell and Apple computers are made in China and they're worlds apart in component and construction quality. An AVR and Pre-Pros being made in China don't have to have anything at all to do with each other, even if they're produced in the same factory.

Onkyo isn't crap and any dig I made was only to imply it's a largely mass-market brand producing mass-market goods. A small shop like Outlaw can easily specify better components for their smaller production runs.

If Outlaw was building a clone of a mainstream AVR without the amps, I'm pretty confident we'd have seen the 978 out a few years ago. That's not something terribly difficult to have a factory turn around.

#90777 - 06/23/12 08:11 AM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: twistybox]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

I mostly echo twistyboxe's sentiment. Fact is that there have been many points in time that "professional audio reviewers" have falsely declared "everything is all the same" either when their ears or test instruments have been lulled into a stupor / a generation behind the products...

There are all kinds of subtle and dramatic differences in how various products are spec'd and built. Often times those differences are so grossly apparent you'd need only try to initially power up the devices to notice them while other kinds of differences only reveal themselves under more unique circumstances or years down the road.

I have no need or desire to "bash" any products in the broad marketpalce. I am only speaking from experience. There was a time when most manufacturers did "over build" their products and the relative success of firms that moved down a path of economization has made robustly specifying the narrowest tolerances/most reserved ratings a rarity. Some products do sound pretty much the same. I don't know that is necessarily a bad thing, as with the various highly promoted encoding schemes and such there is a certain industry "buy-in" that if it does not promote accuracy per se at least ensures "compliance with a specified minimum". There are still a HUGE percentage of "professionally installed" systems that have such gross problems in such basic things as phase / polarity that I suspect 90%+ of folks who got such "services" are listening to something that STILL makes to miss those low "minimums"...

The relationships that magazines / electronic publications have with home AV manufacturers is a complex one. The firms that make the products know they have to be well reviewed to have success in the marketplace. The reviewers know that their livelihoods are tied to the stream of revenue that flows from advertising AS WELL AS some trust from their readers that they will not sing songs of praise about products with unacceptable performance. One big side effect of this is that ALL manufacturers interact far more closely with ALL reviewers than either side will ever admit. If "review samples" start smoking the manufacturers' response is to send not another random unit off the line but one that has been verified as being on the vanishingly tiny leading edge of the QC curve, where every component has been pre-stressed and passed with flying colors. The honest reviewers will subtly note that experience, perhaps even offering their weird apology / boast of the esoteric equipment along the lines of "due to the uniquely demanding system that I have in my Reference SetUp the sample did encounter some anomalies but I am sure no home user would ever put the product through such a torture test". Yeah right. And the LearJet trip to the Vienna Opera was not a bribe either...

My highest regards,
renov8r

#90778 - 06/23/12 08:25 AM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: twistybox]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Someone should call Onkyo and tell them they're doing it wrong selling 3 to 5 different levels of each product class. Or maybe they're doing it right since the only thing that they actually have to change is the name plate, because obviously the insides are the same on all of them.

Seems to work for them. They move a lot of product. A number of posters here are using Onkyo receivers.

Quote:
I haven't seen an AVR with balanced pre-outs. I won't buy a pre-pro without them.

<shrug>

I used to think that way. Truth is, I never used my balanced outputs on the 990. Nice to have, for sure, but not a deal breaker for most folks. If that's all the 978 has going for it....

Quote:
A factory in China will produce the same quality product produced in a factory anywhere else on earth so long as the people responsible for payment manage the process to their own standards. Dell and Apple computers are made in China and they're worlds apart in component and construction quality. An AVR and Pre-Pros being made in China don't have to have anything at all to do with each other, even if they're produced in the same factory.

Total BS. There is one thing that holds the attention of factories in China....cold hard cash...and lots of it. As a small buyer, you have an insignificant amount of power and little control over timing of production or quality of components. A Chinese supplier will lie to your face on an ongoing basis and then dare you to sue them (in China) for breach of contract. Been there, done that (and I speak pretty fluent Chinese). This is why I was chuckling back in January when Outlaw said Scott was "going over there" to get a status update during a time in the year when almost zero work gets done in China and people are traveling to their hometowns for lengthy new years celebrations. And here we are 7 months later and <shock>, the product still isn't here. smile

Quote:
Onkyo isn't crap and any dig I made was only to imply it's a largely mass-market brand producing mass-market goods. A small shop like Outlaw can easily specify better components for their smaller production runs.

Sadly, that isn't the case in Chinese manufacturing. See above.

Quote:
If Outlaw was building a clone of a mainstream AVR without the amps, I'm pretty confident we'd have seen the 978 out a few years ago. That's not something terribly difficult to have a factory turn around.

They're probably kicking themselves that they didn't take this route. Here we are 4 years later and they're still re-selling product from Marantz instead of an Outlaw branded processor while their own design has languished in vapor land. They've also been repeatedly leapfrogged by the industry on features while they continue off in the weeds with their supplier. Not particularly confidence inspiring. A dollar short and a day late, I'm afraid. I'm trying to discuss this without sounding harsh, but it's a harsh world out there...and the facts are not particularly kind to Outlaw in this case.

Best,

Edited by Ritz2 (06/23/12 08:26 AM)

#90780 - 06/23/12 12:02 PM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: Ritz2]
beyond 1000 Offline
Gunslinger

Total BS. There is one thing that holds the attention of factories in China....cold hard cash...and lots of it. As a small buyer, you have an insignificant amount of power and little control over timing of production or quality of components. A Chinese supplier will lie to your face on an ongoing basis and then dare you to sue them (in China) for breach of contract. Been there, done that (and I speak pretty fluent Chinese). This is why I was chuckling back in January when Outlaw said Scott was "going over there" to get a status update during a time in the year when almost zero work gets done in China and people are traveling to their hometowns for lengthy new years celebrations. And here we are 7 months later and <shock>, the product still isn't here. smile

They're probably kicking themselves that they didn't take this route. Here we are 4 years later and they're still re-selling product from Marantz instead of an Outlaw branded processor while their own design has languished in vapor land. They've also been repeatedly leapfrogged by the industry on features while they continue off in the weeds with their supplier. Not particularly confidence inspiring. A dollar short and a day late, I'm afraid. I'm trying to discuss this without sounding harsh, but it's a harsh world out there...and the facts are not particularly kind to Outlaw in this case.

Best,

Ritz you are right on the money on your responses. You do seem to have an understanding of supplier economics in China. Either Outlaw didn't flash enough money to get the 978 out on a timely order OR they are too small to get any priority or preferential consideration. That is the problem with production in China. IF Outlaw could have managed a made in the U.S.A. production with a rise in price of course that still may have been better than what they have now. They are up the creek without a paddle in the ever-changing world of digital technology. I am not sure the 978 will be up to snuff by the time it gets out. IF there are software problems with it then what mechanism is there for Outlaw to rectify the problem with their manufacturer?

Another thing to note is what you stated in that here Outlaw is 4 years later STILL reselling another company's product to match with their amplifiers. Other companies are getting their products out but Outlaw is struggling for years to get one product going. What will this company do for an encore? Can they sustain themselves in the home theatre market at this pace? Comparatively few will continue to buy Outlaw's products. Their amplifiers are awesome because they are designed right by Outlaw and they have a proven manufacturer in ATI.

They need to get this product out NOW and not later as Emotiva will get theirs out and will be enjoying sales. I'm worried about the 978s delays in production and development costs. Can this product come out at no more than $1600.00?

Sadly the reason Scott hasn't had a more recent update since his last is because why bring out news if it's not good.

#90792 - 06/25/12 08:12 AM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: beyond 1000]
Hank Offline
Desperado

You want reality? Have I been to China? Several times. I have ODM's there. If you specify features and performance specs (the normal process), your ODM will buy the cheapest parts they possibly can to produce the product that meets your performance specs. Period. Country of origin has nothing to do with it. Pick an ODM in any country and the same manufacturing process takes place - they will buy the cheapest parts possible - it's economic sense. If you want premium performance, then you specify exactly what parts will give you that performance and your ODM will buy those components (and charge you ) and they will be in your product. Again, same situation around the world. This China-bashing is getting a bit repetitive and tiring.

#90793 - 06/25/12 10:03 AM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: Hank]
twistybox Offline
Gunslinger

This China-bashing is getting a bit repetitive and tiring.

No kidding. At the moment, the best products in the world are not only manufactured in China, they can only be manufactured in China.

#90796 - 06/25/12 10:56 AM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: Hank]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

You want reality? Have I been to China? Several times. I have ODM's there. If you specify features and performance specs (the normal process), your ODM will buy the cheapest parts they possibly can to produce the product that meets your performance specs. Period. Country of origin has nothing to do with it. Pick an ODM in any country and the same manufacturing process takes place - they will buy the cheapest parts possible - it's economic sense. If you want premium performance, then you specify exactly what parts will give you that performance and your ODM will buy those components (and charge you ) and they will be in your product. Again, same situation around the world. This China-bashing is getting a bit repetitive and tiring.

Your experience doesn't match mine. I lived and worked in China for about 5 years and have been working with Chinese companies since the late 80's. I have been in meetings where I've heard Chinese manufacturing company C-level execs talk amongst themselves (not knowing I spoke Chinese) about how they would say whatever it took to get a contract and they would "deal with reality later." I've seen it time and again, first hand, and I have a list of acquaintances as long as my arm (people who actually live and work in China) with similar experiences.

If you're Apple, Dell, or some big electronics conglomerate I'm sure the rules are very different (mostly because they are big enough to enforce meaningful financial penalties for not following the "rules"). They're also big enough to have their own QA staff *on site* to get timely reports on both quality and production snafus. You can also afford to hire a local "consultant" to bribe local officials and business owners with money/cars/girls/etc while denying that you're involved in foreign corruption. If you're a small-time operator occasionally ordering a run of a few hundred units of consumer electronics...good luck. Outsourcing software design to them on top of the hardware integration and manufacturing is downright foolish. Short of not paying them, you (the collective you) have zero levers to control the process. So as a consumer, if I'm stuck buying product from China, who do I want on my team if there are problems with my shiny new device? A big multi-national that can support the product on their own or a company with a no technical people who will call up their "Chinese partner" to deal with bugs? (that was a rhetorical question for the sarcasm impaired) smile Does that mean every small company is going to get boned in China? No, but it is VERY common.

As far as "China bashing goes," I suggest you try living and working there for a while. In short, you're way off base. Corruption is rampant, business ethics are non-existent, and there is little relief in their court system should you try to enforce any contractual agreements with a local company.

Best,

Edited by Ritz2 (06/25/12 11:33 AM)

#90800 - 06/25/12 12:29 PM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: twistybox]
jam Offline
Gunslinger

This China-bashing is getting a bit repetitive and tiring.

No kidding. At the moment, the best products in the world are not only manufactured in China, they can only be manufactured in China.

I believe that the Germans, the Japanese, the South Koreans and quite a lot of Americans would take exception to that statement.

Edited by jam (06/25/12 12:30 PM)

#90801 - 06/25/12 01:16 PM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: Ritz2]
jam Offline
Gunslinger

If you're Apple, Dell, or some big electronics conglomerate I'm sure the rules are very different (mostly because they are big enough to enforce meaningful financial penalties for not following the "rules"). They're also big enough to have their own QA staff *on site* to get timely reports on both quality and production snafus. You can also afford to hire a local "consultant" to bribe local officials and business owners with money/cars/girls/etc while denying that you're involved in foreign corruption. If you're a small-time operator occasionally ordering a run of a few hundred units of consumer electronics...good luck. Outsourcing software design to them on top of the hardware integration and manufacturing is downright foolish. Short of not paying them, you (the collective you) have zero levers to control the process. So as a consumer, if I'm stuck buying product from China, who do I want on my team if there are problems with my shiny new device? A big multi-national that can support the product on their own or a company with a no technical people who will call up their "Chinese partner" to deal with bugs? (that was a rhetorical question for the sarcasm impaired) smile Does that mean every small company is going to get boned in China? No, but it is VERY common.

From other things I've read through the years, this summary makes a lot of sense to me.

As I've posted a while back ago, Outlaw should have had the 978 contract designed in the US and manufactured in China if they wanted to reduce costs. A good example of this strategy would be OPPO Digital Inc. of Mountain View (CA) with its excellent success using this approach since about 2004. Other overseas examples that have also successfully used this approach for about a decade are Cambridge Audio in the UK and Vincent Audio of Germany.

At the very least, the software design and integration, which is highly critical and a major source of issues for this type of project, should have been done in the US. That's probably Outlaw's biggest mistake. Then again, I believe that not sticking through with the Inkel deal was also a major mistake. The South Koreans, while there are varying levels of business corruption everywhere, are not the Chinese.

Edited by jam (06/25/12 01:32 PM)
Edit Reason: added thought

#90803 - 06/25/12 06:14 PM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: jam]
twistybox Offline
Gunslinger

If we were talking about Cars, then I wouldn't have said the best products in the world were manufactured in China. Germanany (by a large wide margin over anywhere else), Japan and South Korea still take the lion's share for quality in my opinion, with the USA a very distant fourth, and then only with respect to companies headquartered outside the USA. wink

Oppo is a chinese company BTW.

Edited by twistybox (06/25/12 06:17 PM)

#90804 - 06/25/12 08:35 PM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: twistybox]
jam Offline
Gunslinger

If we were talking about Cars, then I wouldn't have said the best products in the world were manufactured in China. Germanany (by a large wide margin over anywhere else), Japan and South Korea still take the lion's share for quality in my opinion, with the USA a very distant fourth, and then only with respect to companies headquartered outside the USA. wink

Sometimes things are not as simple as they seem at first sight. If you pay close attention to what I wrote above, I intentionally and specifically wrote: "OPPO Digital Inc. of Mountain View (CA)". At no time did I mention where OPPO is based or headquartered nor did I ever state that it's American corporation. OPPO Digital Inc. of Mountain View (CA) and OPPO Electronics Corp. Ltd. of Dongguan (Guangdong) China are holdings of BBK Electronics Corporation Inc. based in Guangzhou (China).

The point I was making is that the OPPO players are mostly designed in the US and manufactured in China and that likewise Cambridge Audio in the UK and Vincent Audio of Germany use the same approach and that Outlaw could have followed the same road map.

BTW, give America a little more credit. Intel, IBM, AMD, TI, Analog Devices, Motorola, Marvell just to name a few, are all great American companies that design and manufacture some of the most complex electronic and ICs in the world. Where they manufacture them these days is another story, often setting up plants overseas to reduce labor costs and increase profits for the share holders, all at the expense of American jobs. The same phenomenon has also occurred in Europe. Ironically, western countries have created and given this manufacturing and economic edge to China.

Edited by jam (06/25/12 08:40 PM)
Edit Reason: added thought

#90805 - 06/25/12 09:16 PM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: twistybox]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Oppo is a diamond in the rough. I think they're based in Shenzen (near Hong Kong). They've got a marketing arm in the US and do their manufacturing in China. So in this case you've got a forward thinking Chinese company with an eye towards quality (instead of lowest price point), and a clever group of marketing folks in the developed world. How clever? Clever enough to cut a deal with Lexicon to essentially take an Oppo DVD player (in its entirety), place it in a slightly bigger chassis, and sell it for a multiple of the cost of buying the exact player from Oppo.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/trans...xicon-outside-1

That's quite a bit different from a fabless western company scrambling to find a cheap manufacturer for their next widget. I'm sure Peter has decades more experience than I, but the last couple of years of watching Outlaw (after being a big fan and customer for years) leave me scratching my head. This is not the way forward and is likely to be fatal to their aspirations of being a gateway to the audiophile world. I hope they are able to keep the lights on, but I remain skeptical of this outcome.

Best,

Edited by Ritz2 (06/25/12 09:32 PM)

#90813 - 06/26/12 11:24 AM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: Ritz2]
beyond 1000 Offline
Gunslinger

There are a lot of good things that come out of China. It's just the amount of quality a company wants to have in their product that brings out the total package. China can build Oppo digital and also builds Proctor Silex.

Germany has great cars but definitely overpriced for what you get. Thanks but no thanks. Eight year old BMWs are discarded since once they begin to need repair out goes your money. U.S. automobiles are much better than they were in the past and getting better. They still have a bit to go but they are in the right direction.

Oppo got their products out so now it's Outlaw's turn to get that 978 out or it's curtains.

#90815 - 06/26/12 11:50 AM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: Ritz2]
Retep Offline
Gunslinger

Oppo is a diamond in the rough. I think they're based in Shenzen (near Hong Kong). They've got a marketing arm in the US and do their manufacturing in China. So in this case you've got a forward thinking Chinese company with an eye towards quality (instead of lowest price point), and a clever group of marketing folks in the developed world. How clever? Clever enough to cut a deal with Lexicon to essentially take an Oppo DVD player (in its entirety), place it in a slightly bigger chassis, and sell it for a multiple of the cost of buying the exact player from Oppo.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/trans...xicon-outside-1

That's quite a bit different from a fabless western company scrambling to find a cheap manufacturer for their next widget. I'm sure Peter has decades more experience than I, but the last couple of years of watching Outlaw (after being a big fan and customer for years) leave me scratching my head. This is not the way forward and is likely to be fatal to their aspirations of being a gateway to the audiophile world. I hope they are able to keep the lights on, but I remain skeptical of this outcome.

Best,

I think Oppo does a bit more than just marketing in Mountain View CA. When I visited their headquarters to pick-up my BDP-83, they had a whiteboard where they were mapping out and discussing an upcoming product design. They also had several engineers in the building. Very small place, but it appears they definitely had an engineering department as well.

#90816 - 06/26/12 04:40 PM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: jam]
twistybox Offline
Gunslinger

give America a little more credit. Intel, IBM, AMD, TI, Analog Devices, Motorola, Marvell just to name a few, are all great American companies that design and manufacture some of the most complex electronic and ICs in the world.

And none of the complicated and best known ones manufactured in the USA. In addition to wafers and packaging being done overseas (China, Taiwan, Thailand, etc.) those companies are also largely international with engineering talent spread all over the place. But that's moot, because I also said nothing about design, but about manufacture. Plenty of goods are designed in the USA and built in China.

The world leading consumer electronics company, Apple, headquartered in Cupertino California with offices all over the world, has the majority of its products manufactured in China, with some components sourced from other countries, also primarily in Asia (Korea, Japan, etc.) Some quantity of their mobile offerings are now also built in Brazil - likely with components all shipped from Foxconn in China.

These world-class product are not only *not* made in the USA, they are not possible to build in the USA today.

Sure, there's corruption in China. There's corruption everywhere in the world to varying degrees. I don't think that has anything to do with the ability to make a quality product.

With regards to BMW if you haven't owned an 8 year old BMW, it's not fair to comment. I have, and the previous comment is about repair costs is BS.

#90817 - 06/26/12 04:46 PM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: twistybox]
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

give America a little more credit. Intel, IBM, AMD, TI, Analog Devices, Motorola, Marvell just to name a few, are all great American companies that design and manufacture some of the most complex electronic and ICs in the world.

And none of the complicated and best known ones manufactured in the USA.

Boy are you WRONG. Intel, IBM, TI, and Analog Devices still do most of their wafer fabrication in the US. Yes, packaging is offshore, but the "high tech" stuff itself is still very much here.

Just one example:

http://download.intel.com/newsroom/kits/22nm/pdfs/Global-Intel-Manufacturing_FactSheet.pdf

Edited by Kevin C Brown (06/26/12 04:52 PM)

#90818 - 06/26/12 09:13 PM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: twistybox]
jam Offline
Gunslinger

And none of the complicated and best known ones manufactured in the USA.

The world leading consumer electronics company, Apple, headquartered in Cupertino California with offices all over the world, has the majority of its products manufactured in China, with some components sourced from other countries, also primarily in Asia (Korea, Japan, etc.) Some quantity of their mobile offerings are now also built in Brazil - likely with components all shipped from Foxconn in China.

These world-class product are not only *not* made in the USA, they are not possible to build in the USA today.

But why? Are Americans less capable or less productive than the Chinese? Because like I said earlier, salaries are higher in the US therefore also making manufacturing costs higher in the US. A global corporation's responsibility is to maximize its profits for their share holders and they'll go manufacture their goods wherever in the world it makes the most economic sense.

Sure, there's corruption in China. There's corruption everywhere in the world to varying degrees. I don't think that has anything to do with the ability to make a quality product.

Indeed, as I initially said, there are varying levels of business corruption EVERYWHERE. If you think that business ethics or corruption doesn't have anything to do with the ability to make a quality product as you say, consider the following examples that could very well apply to Outlaw's situation. If your electronic design contractor (ODM) makes questionable design shortcuts with the intent to reduce the development cycle because he figures he can make a quicker buck that way or because he may have another larger contract coming up from a more important client, don't you think that this will have an impact on the quality of the design itself? And if you don't, you're fooling yourself my friend. What if the supply chain manager buys lower quality capacitors, transistors and other components while pocketing the cost difference, don't you think that the finished product will be of inferior quality? Then like Ritz says, try suing them in a Chinese court... good luck!

#90819 - 06/26/12 09:50 PM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: twistybox]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

This comment is laughable and shows me that you have little real world experience or seat time in China. Sure, you can find corruption anywhere, but it is absolutely rampant in China at all levels of industry and government. In a number of other Asian countries that also do high tech manufacturing, it's much less so.

As for Apple's situation, they are big enough that they can manage much of what they care about in a hands-on manner. That doesn't seem to include caring about workers taking headers off the roof, but shave a few cents off the cost of a component or the labor cost of assembly and you've got their full attention.

Best,

Best,

#90820 - 06/26/12 10:47 PM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: twistybox]
beyond 1000 Offline
Gunslinger

With regards to BMW if you haven't owned an 8 year old BMW, it's not fair to comment. I have, and the previous comment is about repair costs is BS.

I just happened to know a few people who had a BMW over the years and enjoyed the car up until they had problems. They wished my comments were B.S. but unfortunately they paid and paid well for repairs. BMWs are good but every car breaks down. Some will kill your pocket book.

As for China their devalued Yuan and 10c labor is why the nothing is made in the USA. They pack em' in and spew them out. Lots of good quality in China but mostly garbage. That's how the USA companies make their money. Quality is job none. Not the manufactures fault but the company that wants to build it and sell it at Walmart. A $19.99 blender? Come on now what the hell for?

The 978's last photos from Scott screams "I am made in China" Nothing wrong to be made in China but just don't look the part that's all. Oops its made in the PRC (made in China looks like a $19.99 blender).

#90821 - 06/26/12 10:51 PM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: jam]
beyond 1000 Offline
Gunslinger

What if the supply chain manager buys lower quality capacitors, transistors and other components while pocketing the cost difference, don't you think that the finished product will be of inferior quality? Then like Ritz says, try suing them in a Chinese court... good luck!

It's the last line that's the clincher. BTW what kind of name is "OPPO"?

#90870 - 07/10/12 02:21 PM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: beyond 1000]
rubbersoul Offline
Desperado

"Is there anybody in there"?
Wow...Two weeks and no one has been on this forum. At least nothing being said about the 978.
I don't know which is worse, talking about the silence from Outlaw Audio or listening to the silence of this forum.

It is a sad thing.
B&W 803D2’s HTM3S DS7's
HSU Subwoofer
Da-Lite Screen,
Oppo BDP93
Comcast
PS Audio DSD
Stack Variac
Kill-O-Watt
Air-Server
Mac-Mini
ROON

#90871 - 07/10/12 02:55 PM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: rubbersoul]
NRBQLou Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Denver, CO USA
Looks like there's just no more candy left in the 978 pinata.
Oppo BDP-83, Sony UBP-X800
Roku Streaming Stick +
Music Hall mm5.1 table, Ortofon 2M Blue Cartridge, Cambridge Audio 640P Phono Preamp, Pro-Ject Speed Box
Belkin Pure AV Power Conditioner
Audioquest Type 8 speaker cable, Monoprice speaker Cable
Mostly Monoprice interconnects

#90872 - 07/10/12 07:59 PM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: NRBQLou]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

*shrug*

I'm sure if/when they ever get around to releasing the darned thing, it will be accompanied by a copious amount of "See, we told ya it was coming" and "thanks for being patient." Meanwhile, it has been made completely irrelevant in the marketplace unless you're after a unit with few features and balanced pre-outs. I get no joy from saying that, but that's just the way it is. Seems like Onkyo owns the budget end of the market if you want an Audyssey XT32 processor at this stage of the game.

Best,

#90874 - 07/11/12 08:20 AM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: Ritz2]
Hank Offline
Desperado

rubbersoul, there's nothing more to be said on our part. We are now returning Outlaw's silence with our own. Let's just stop posting and check every few days for an announcement from Outlaw, good or bad.

#90875 - 07/11/12 09:10 AM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: Hank]
twistybox Offline
Gunslinger

AT $1500 it will still have a market, even if it lacks some of the bells and whistles. However, personally speaking, I might skip it and just move up another bracket to something like an Integra 80.3 (or 80.4 when it's released) or a new Marantz AV8007 if it ever materializes. In getting closer/deeper with the Model 990 I already own, I'm really disappointed that even with its basic feature set, there's so much lacking in terms of control/automation - its RS-232 command set for instance is minuscule, and frankly, that's not something I'm going to settle for with a replacement. While SQ will continue to be my top priority, a new processor needs to fit into my setup and be able to be fully automated. And IP control is becoming increasingly important.

#90877 - 07/11/12 12:19 PM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: twistybox]
rubbersoul Offline
Desperado

Right you are Hank.
All words of wisdom have been spent.
I agree withTwistybox.
I myself have loss patience and I have been looking else ware. The time frame had no revelance to me. My 990 is working fine but I would like to upgrade.
The silence is the killer.
B&W 803D2’s HTM3S DS7's
HSU Subwoofer
Da-Lite Screen,
Oppo BDP93
Comcast
PS Audio DSD
Stack Variac
Kill-O-Watt
Air-Server
Mac-Mini
ROON

#90878 - 07/11/12 12:41 PM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: rubbersoul]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

You know, if you naysayers are so damned fed up I am going to suggest that you do the "internet forum" equivalent of Seppuku -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seppuku -- POST YOUR PASSWORD RIGHT HERE IN OPEN TEXT. That will allow anyone to take over you account, delete all your posts and tidy up the mess you've left behind.

#90879 - 07/11/12 12:55 PM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: renov8r]
Hank Offline
Desperado

You know, if you took the trouble to look at history, rather than jumping to conclusions and YELLING, you'd see that I've been a long-term supporter - I was gunslinger #58 and an early buyer of my 950.

sshhh

#90880 - 07/11/12 02:02 PM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: Hank]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

I understand the frustration and I have been on the boards a long time too but I just cannot fathom what possible benefit anyone sees from the doom and gloom / negativity. If you don't like the direction of the firm / pace of their product rollout why keep visiting?

#90881 - 07/11/12 02:24 PM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: renov8r]
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

I was kind of enjoying the lack of posting. If there's no news from Outlaw, why post anything until there is?

smile

#90882 - 07/11/12 03:52 PM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: renov8r]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

You know, if you naysayers are so damned fed up I am going to suggest that you do the "internet forum" equivalent of Seppuku -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seppuku -- POST YOUR PASSWORD RIGHT HERE IN OPEN TEXT. That will allow anyone to take over you account, delete all your posts and tidy up the mess you've left behind.

Ah...good ol' censorship...China style. Fitting, but I'll pass.

Best,

#90884 - 07/11/12 05:53 PM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: Ritz2]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

Quite the opposite of censorship the posting of one's password as a final act of frustration is the ultimate way of saying "I have given up on this board". It is far more like the courageous young man standing before the tanks of Tienanmen Square than anything the CPC would do. It is the ultimately defiance. It is liberating. Once you've "open sourced" your account you will be free of the burden of coming here and seeing things that cause you misery. Come on, try it!

#90885 - 07/11/12 06:59 PM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: renov8r]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Quite the opposite of censorship the posting of one's password as a final act of frustration is the ultimate way of saying "I have given up on this board". It is far more like the courageous young man standing before the tanks of Tienanmen Square than anything the CPC would do. It is the ultimately defiance. It is liberating. Once you've "open sourced" your account you will be free of the burden of coming here and seeing things that cause you misery. Come on, try it!

Dictatorships always market the removal of freedom of speech and collection of private arms (the ability to express your opinion in this case) as "liberating." Is that what you're after?

The guy in front of the tank didn't fare so well. A number of sources say that he was executed by firing squad not long after he "displayed his password."

Look, Outlaw has repeatedly dropped the ball. Their explanations don't make sense. Their product focus doesn't appear to make sense (with respect to the 978). Instead of venting on those who would point that out, perhaps you might drop a dime and call Outlaw instead. They're not a public company so they're only accountable to themselves. However, based on their history of "we love the customer" rhetoric, you'd think they'd be a bit more giving in terms of status reports on what is one of their core products.

Best,

Edited by Ritz2 (07/11/12 07:06 PM)

#90886 - 07/11/12 09:04 PM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: Ritz2]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

The offer still stands. [img:center]http://arabatik.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/seppuku.jpg?w=500[/img]

#90887 - 07/11/12 11:22 PM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: renov8r]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Perhaps you might consider leading by example.

#90888 - 07/12/12 01:46 AM Re: MultEQ XT32 goes mainstream (prices dropping fast) [Re: Ritz2]
S. Sharkey Offline
Gunslinger

*yawn*

Would someone wake me when it's over?

#90889 - 07/12/12 09:49 AM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: md]
mzpro5 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: The Northcoast
Been some time since i stopped in.

I have waited and waited and waited but am out of time.

I am replacing my 990 with an Onkyo 5508. I am moving and want an up to date HT at my new house - so sorry Outlaws I tried to be faithful but had to move on - you left me no choice.
Behringer A500
Samsung PN58A650, DirecTV HR-20 700
Sony CDP-545, Phillips CDR 765
Oppo BDP-93, Panasonic DMR E515
Technics SL-DL5
Squeezebox 3
Remote Harmony One

#90890 - 07/12/12 11:51 AM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: mzpro5]
beyond 1000 Offline
Gunslinger

Well methinks that there is no final destination here so many of us will be jumping off stations. We have somebody going for Integra and another going for Onkyo and the list will go on. The only reason I am not getting off at the next station is that I simply am not ready to buy now. I would like to be clear on my position in that IF I were ready to buy a pre/pro now I would make a decision by the end of September after my month-long vacation. I will be leaving town for a month. After I come back I'm agoing shopping. If there is any positive news on the 978 then I will deal with that issue that time. If however I was not leaving town, then I would be buying in the next month or two. I am now waiting for Marantz's AV7007 to see what's that about.

I don't want to knock Outlaw. They make good products and they are making an attempt to release a fantastic pre/pro but perhaps this is beyond their capacity to engineer and release. In short their pockets are not that deep.

#90893 - 07/12/12 03:31 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: mzpro5]
rubbersoul Offline
Desperado

Hey I feel like I woke up a GIANT.
I'm glad I did.
The facts are Outlaw has dropped the ball since the announcement of both the 978 and the 998 we the customer have been left in the dark. Surely it is our decision to take responsibility for our actions and likewise is Outlaw.
The announcements of both processors were at least a year ago? Since then Outlaw has dropped the 998 and and cannot get onboard with the 978 either with it's production or marketing. In the meantime they have been giving us sales opportunities with Marantz and secret codes to enter doors that promote large sale opportunities.
While some maybe happy with the special sale events that some of us have to stay up until late night just before we can grab a few hours of sleep before we have to get up and go to work I do not.
I wonder what kind of response Outlaw received or should I say Marantz received with the latest margin sale event.
If the 978 is born I think it could be a real let down for some people. There is a lot of competition in the world of electronics...where only the strong survive.
I think it is a good thing that we let our feelings known to Outlaw LLC.

I sincerely hope that the 978 is much MORE than what we have been anticipating. I hope that it will be a landmark processor that we will be talking about on this forum for a long time.
I just cannot believe the stand that Outlaw has taken with this community.
It's not about being a naysayer or having a doom and gloom attitude. It's about communication to loyal customers.
B&W 803D2’s HTM3S DS7's
HSU Subwoofer
Da-Lite Screen,
Oppo BDP93
Comcast
PS Audio DSD
Stack Variac
Kill-O-Watt
Air-Server
Mac-Mini
ROON

#90894 - 07/12/12 04:01 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: rubbersoul]
S. Sharkey Offline
Gunslinger

Woke up a giant? It's awake as it ever was as far as I can see. I mean, there are those who are still waiting, those who aren't, and those who are getting bitter about it. Personally I think life is too short to be whining, "Are we there yet?" every week, but I'm not bothered by the situation. When I see what Parasound did, and what Emotiva did, I think Outlaw chose the better of the 2 options.

Edited by S. Sharkey (07/12/12 04:46 PM)

#90895 - 07/12/12 05:37 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: S. Sharkey]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Originally Posted By: S. Sharkey
Woke up a giant? It's awake as it ever was as far as I can see. I mean, there are those who are still waiting, those who aren't, and those who are getting bitter about it. Personally I think life is too short to be whining, "Are we there yet?" every week, but I'm not bothered by the situation. When I see what Parasound did, and what Emotiva did, I think Outlaw chose the better of the 2 options.

Says the man who isn't even an Outlaw customer....

I'm not an Emotiva customer (yet), but at least they have a steady track record of refreshing their product, FREQUENT communication with their owner-base and forum contributors, and forward movement of the football on the field. They've had their share of gaffes, but I see genuine progress. Heck, they even purchased Sherbourn after acting as their (one of their?) OEM manufacturers for a while.

By comparison, Outlaw has offered us their amps/subs (which are fine, but a bit expensive these days). They've become resellers of D&M Holdings products (receivers from Marantz, speakers from Snell, etc), and they're offering a bewildering list of gadgets that have nothing to do with their core business. An iPod dock? Surge protectors? Designer HDMI cables? Wireless media/speaker bridges that are a dime a dozen in the market place? Are you shizizzling me?

And all the while they keep fumbling the ball on the product which *ought* to be the core of their business. An audio/theater processor that can tie together all the other tchotchkes they're selling and promoting on page 1 of their website and a driver of sales for things they're actually good at (amps and subs).

I'm sorry, but let's call a spade a spade. They're pretty far behind the 8 ball and I don't see any sign of improvement.

Best,

Edited by Ritz2 (07/12/12 05:38 PM)

#90896 - 07/12/12 07:11 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: Ritz2]
S. Sharkey Offline
Gunslinger

Actually, I am an Outlaw customer, it's just not In my sig line. Emotiva promised the XPA-100 and the XSP-1 in July and now both have been delayed, until the new year and September respectively. The XMC was originally was promised a year after the UMC release. I'm sure they had a few upears promises in the meantime, but back in March they promised June. Now they are saying "summer". In fact, the majority of Emotiva's new releases are late.

You as usual are being selective in your thoughts on Emo. At times Big Dan sounds like a used car salesman as he goes around his forum changing promises. Once you actually start buying some of their products and know first hand what you are talking about, then you will know what I am talking about.

Best,

Edited by S. Sharkey (07/12/12 07:13 PM)

#90897 - 07/12/12 08:49 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: S. Sharkey]
rjmelkon Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Like most I have been following the 978 saga for a while now and currently use a 950 in my HT.I personally can make do with my 950 but when I want to change I will decide either to wait for the 978 or buy something else,not whine about it on this forum or run a good company like outlaw through the mud.I have faith Outlaw will deliver a great pre-pro that will be the best value on the market and I trust that they are working hard to do just that.

#90906 - 07/13/12 10:15 AM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: rjmelkon]
twistybox Offline
Gunslinger

Under promise and over-deliver. The mistakes are not in the delays - this happens. The mistakes are talking about products and releases like they're just about to happen when production hasn't even started yet. It's simply bad business to communicate this way with customers. IMO, Outlaw should still be selling the 990 and have been silent on the 998/978 over these past few years.

#90907 - 07/13/12 12:00 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: twistybox]
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Twistybox: It was my understanding that the 990 went out of production because parts became unavailable. However, I agree with the general thrust of you post and agree that we should have seen a 990 Model 2.

Certainly Inkel could have done this because Sherwood markets a R-772 receiver which seems to have 990 type features (not talking about sound quality) with HDMI. In addition, they sell the R-972 (the 997 equivalent) and the R-977 (a Networking receiver which feature-wise seems similar to the Marantz line).
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay

#90908 - 07/13/12 01:40 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: 73Bruin]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Twistybox: It was my understanding that the 990 went out of production because parts became unavailable. However, I agree with the general thrust of you post and agree that we should have seen a 990 Model 2.

Certainly Inkel could have done this because Sherwood markets a R-772 receiver which seems to have 990 type features (not talking about sound quality) with HDMI. In addition, they sell the R-972 (the 997 equivalent) and the R-977 (a Networking receiver which feature-wise seems similar to the Marantz line).

My understanding is that they eventually got most of the kinks worked out on the Sherwood R972. In an attempt to get an update on that, I did a google search and found a place selling brand new R-972 (with Trinnov) selling for $600:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-s...D-DTS-HD/1.html

There ya go...the 998 that shoulda been for $600.

Best,

#90909 - 07/13/12 02:05 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: Ritz2]
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

^^^

My impression is that there is still some kind of HDMI signal lock problem that delays audio for a second or two after signal interruption. You might not think that's that big a deal on the surface, but I think I came across a mention, that for example, every time you fast forward through a commercial on a DVR, bingo, it takes 1 or 2s after that to get the audio back. That's a pretty big day to day operational problem IMO. I'm sure there'd be more info about fixed and existing problems of the 972 on AVS though.

#90911 - 07/13/12 04:08 PM R_E_S_P_E_C_T.... [Re: rjmelkon]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

I try to teach my kids to take a poop before they go over to friend's home just so they don't stink up the place.

I consider the efforts of Outlaw Audio to provide useful info through this forum and their (infrequent...) emails a courtesy and try to accept both the silence as well as the news.

Originally Posted By: rjmelkon
Like most I have been following the 978 saga for a while now and currently use a 950 in my HT.I personally can make do with my 950 but when I want to change I will decide either to wait for the 978 or buy something else,not whine about it on this forum or run a good company like outlaw through the mud.I have faith Outlaw will deliver a great pre-pro that will be the best value on the market and I trust that they are working hard to do just that.

#90912 - 07/13/12 05:13 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: Kevin C Brown]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

^^^

My impression is that there is still some kind of HDMI signal lock problem that delays audio for a second or two after signal interruption. You might not think that's that big a deal on the surface, but I think I came across a mention, that for example, every time you fast forward through a commercial on a DVR, bingo, it takes 1 or 2s after that to get the audio back. That's a pretty big day to day operational problem IMO. I'm sure there'd be more info about fixed and existing problems of the 972 on AVS though.

I can imagine that being pretty annoying. It wouldn't really affect my typical usage, but I hear ya. In any case, it seems like the price point for really high end room correction is within the reach of almost anyone interested in higher end sound these days. You've got Trinnov for $600, Audyssey XT32 for $1000-1350, and if you believe Emotiva you'll have TaCT's solution for about $1500 soon. The times they are a changin'.

With respect to the R972, there's a long thread in the receivers forum on AVS with comments from Noah Katz (who posts here from time to time) and, more importantly, Curt Trinnov.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1179978/sherwood-r-972-user-thread

People seem to like the Trinnov processing in spite of the other sometimes annoying quirks with the device. Definitely worth reading. At $600, it might be worth it for me to just get one for the sake of playing with Trinnov. (edit: Curt is actually Curt Hoyt, Trinnov's director of US operations for those who might not know.)

Best,

Edited by Ritz2 (07/15/12 11:55 AM)
Edit Reason: clarification

#90922 - 07/17/12 02:43 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: Kevin C Brown]
breeze Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

My its been awhile since I posted here. I had to go look at my register date to be sure--yep, its closing in on five years, now. My earliest posts were concerning the replacement pre-pro for the 990, which I have used and enjoyed immensely since its purchase in '04, I think, along with five 2200's and about a grand worth of cables. When I caught wind that Outlaw was designing a replacement I pre-registered for the new one--almost five years ago...

I have since run completely out of patience. Just this last Wed. I received my brand-spankin' new 'Signature Edition' Integra 80.3 from the Upgrade Company. They, too, have been a pleasure to work with and I look forward to being a long-term and loyal customer.

Outlaw, for me, has lost its luster, even though, right now, I have a couple hundred dollars worth of cables in my cart. I am also considering that wireless transmitter doohickie for my 2 LFM-ex1's. I just don't see myself buying anymore big-ticket items from the Outlaws.

Happy Trails, pardners...

#90925 - 07/18/12 09:17 AM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: breeze]
Scott Offline
Desperado

Hello Fellow Outlaws,

With the recent announcement regarding the Model 978 posted HERE, we are now moving this thread to the Outlaw to Outlaw Saloon where the discussion is free to continue.

#90939 - 07/18/12 09:52 AM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: Scott]
legivens Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Euless, Texas, USA
Alot of us sure would like to know who the competitor was........
Outlaw Model 7900
Outlaw Model 5000 (for the ceiling speakers)
Marantz AV7702 MK2
Oppo BDP-105D
Axiom M80's, GoldenEar Super XXL, GoldenEar Aon 3's (sides and rears), GoldenEar HTR 7000's (in-ceiling for Atmos/DTS:X)
Outlaw LFM1-Plus and EX
Directv HD DVR
2 HD Monster Power centers
PS3
Harmony One

#90946 - 07/18/12 10:21 AM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: legivens]
sraber Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Green Bay, WI
ouch...
It's really too bad for Outlaw. Massive setback. Even though I wasn't waiting on the 978 it's still hard to hear after all this time.

sr
Outlaw Audio Model 2200 (center)
Rotel RMB-1075 (ss, rs)
f, B&W DM604S3
c, B&W LCR600S3
ss, B&W DM302
rs,Polk M3II
HSU VTF-3 MK3
APC H-15 Power Conditioner
Display: Panny PT-AE4000 Proj. + 92" DIY Screen
Little Dot MKIII Headphone Amp
Denon AH-D1100 Headphones (needed a quick, cheap set. looking for an upgrade worthy of the h/p amp.)

#90960 - 07/18/12 11:03 AM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: rjmelkon]
rjmelkon Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: rjmelkon

Then again,I've been wrong before.
Open mouth,insert foot.I think I cursed the 978 with this post!
Seriously though I am excited about a pre-pro from Outlaw with HDMI and high quality DAC's that is also comparitively low cost.This can still be a win win for Outlaw and it's customers.

#90963 - 07/18/12 11:27 AM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: rjmelkon]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Not unexpected. Maybe now Outlaw can refocus their efforts on product segments where they can offer value and be price/feature competitive. PWM multi-channel amplifier, perhaps?

No champagne glasses clinking here. Time to move on to more productive pursuits and forget about the water under the bridge.

Best,

#90968 - 07/18/12 12:29 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: legivens]
FAUguy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: FL
Originally Posted By: legivens
Alot of us sure would like to know who the competitor was........

I too would like to know who the company was that put pressure on the Plant to cancel the Outlaw product. I would make sure that I would never buy one of their products as a result. Too bad these things can't be made in the US without costing 10x the price. At least then you might have better control over the production.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 90 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM