Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#90425 - 05/26/12 12:56 AM sms and the 990 options
columbusoutlaw Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

The sms lets one attach the left and right out puts of your fronts from the pre/pro (990 in my case) to the sms, the out put to your amp with a built in 80hz crossover. Not a bad feature if you ask me.

Question, do you loose the lfe of the dedicated sub out line if you connect this fashion. Is the sub out line from the 990 which you would usually connect to the sms the only place where the LFE reside or are they duplicated in the main left right out.

thanks

#91081 - 07/23/12 12:22 AM Re: sms and the 990 options [Re: columbusoutlaw]
garcianc2003 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC
It has been about 4 years or so since I hooked up my SMS-1 to my 990 and tinkered with it, but I am pretty sure that the L/R connection method that you are referring to is mostly useful when you do not have bass management available. Since the 990 does have bass management, I would use the sub out.

If I understand your second question correctly, the answer would be yes, you would lose the LFE since anything below the cross-over frequency would go to your sub out (which would not be connected in that scenario). If you are determined to connect this way, you could go to the 990's speakers settings and indicate that you do not have a sub.

I am not sure if you saw this, but Outlaw created their own manual for the SMS-1 called "The Outlaw's Guide to the SMS-1". I highly recommend it: http://pdf.outlawaudio.com/outlaw/docs/sms1guide.pdf

I hope that helps.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 88 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM