Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 14 of 31 < 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 30 31 >
Topic Options
#83607 - 05/06/10 08:40 PM Re: Feature Suggestions? [Re: gonk]
happy2 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NH
Hi

Was on the wait list for the 997, but think going to their own platform with the 998 was a smart move. I like the new front panel design even though it won't match my Emotiva MPS-2 amp I bought a year ago to go with the 997 I thought was coming out shortly. Am way more interested in high quality audio, than the video. The Trinnov system is the biggest reason I keep holding out for Outlaw, since I have a less than optimal room to work with. The other features that others have mentioned that are of interest to me, are:

Trinnov microphone input & headphone jack on front panel.

HD & internet radio with high quality AM/FM tuners.

phono pre-amp.

balanced XLR CD input.

ethernet connection in addition to USB.

Well organized on screen menu system, perhaps thru a link to your computer (preferably Apple based)

happy2

#83629 - 05/08/10 10:12 PM Re: Feature Suggestions? [Re: gonk]
dtremit Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: gonk
I thought about that, too, but even then I wonder how much market would exist for something like that. If it were simply a switcher (lots of composite and stereo analog inputs) with a remote control, it would be practical - such things already exist.

What I'd like to see is something exactly as you linked -- but with hard-wired control that could be supported by a model like the 998. Connect the external switchbox to one of the analog inputs, connect the control cable, and assign the control to the analog input. Then, let the processor's software convert "input 2" to "input 2.1" through "input 2.4."

Granted, I can do this with IR, but I'd rather not *need* to.

Another "wish list" feature for me would be to integrate the functionality of something like the Global Caché GC-100 into the device, which I expect could be done pretty inexpensively if it already has IR out and network in.

But honestly, the feature list as announced is pretty compelling; just give me lots of HDMI inputs and uncompromising sound quality (including full bypass modes) at a reasonable price and I'll be happy.

#83671 - 05/12/10 11:46 PM Re: Feature Suggestions? [Re: dtremit]
Smarty-pants Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Not sure what other have to say yet, no time to read it all right now, but I will throw a few thoughts into the hat...

For my processor (audio/video), I tend to cater toward the minimalistic approach.
I like mine to do all of the basic features and do them very well. Especially things like the DRC, high quality analog input/output sections, analog BM, DSP implementation, DAC/ADC, ect.
I hope Oulaw realizes this approach as well, and puts the extras in there after the basics have been perfected.
All the bells and whistles are fun, but if the basic features are lacking or problematic, this puts the unit at a disadvantage in more ways than one.

In keeping up with the current market, I hope that ethernet type connections will be implemented, if even in a minimalistic approach, like for firmware updates.
I've had to update the fw on my 3 yr old Onkyo, and it was a virtual nightmare.

Upsampling options for to 192KHz for audio would be a really nice feature too.
I'm sure I'll come up with lots more... just getting the foot in the door.:)

#83672 - 05/13/10 07:08 AM Re: Feature Suggestions? [Re: Smarty-pants]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Onkyo receiver/processor firmware updates... Scary stuff - I've messed with that a bit myself. The announcement suggests that the 998 will use a USB stick for firmware updates, similar to the OPPO disc players.

#83679 - 05/13/10 02:15 PM Re: Feature Suggestions? [Re: gonk]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
If it is as easy as the Oppo BDP-83 then it will be a fine tool. I updated my BDP last weekend and it took all of 15 minutes including the download.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#83684 - 05/14/10 09:38 AM Re: Feature Suggestions? [Re: XenonMan]
rubbersoul Offline
Desperado

Loc: folsom, pa.
I took the easy way out with the upgrade on my BDP83. Had the CD firmware update sent to the house.
Let me say Oppo's customer service seems to be as courteous, and problem free as Outlaws'.
Called them up to ask a few questions and in two to three days received the disc.
No problems. However for some reason I had to repeat the upgrade a second time.
I have to say that I am not as computer savvy as a lot of people on this forum seem to be. I do wish that I was not intimated about these upgrades. As of the writing I still have not done the upgrade on the 990.
I hope Outlaw makes the upgrades for the 998 as simplistic as possible for people like myself. The idea of a disc for the Oppo upgrade was great.
If I do pull the trigger on the 998 I certainly will take my time making the decision.
B&W 803D2’s HTM3S DS7's
HSU Subwoofer
Mitsubishi 6800 Projector
Da-Lite Screen,
Oppo BDP93
Comcast
PS Audio DSD
Stack Variac
Kill-O-Watt
Nakamichi cables Audio 8 cables
Air-Server
Mac-Mini
ROON

#83692 - 05/14/10 08:01 PM Re: Feature Suggestions? [Re: rubbersoul]
barumba Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ontario, Canada
rubbersoul, I, too have the BDP-83. Have not seen any word of updates. Have checked their site by way of the in-unit web update link. You mentionned a CD firmware upgrade. Please advise where the info for that update can be found. Thanks in advance.
Cheers!

Edited by barumba (05/14/10 08:07 PM)

#83693 - 05/14/10 09:12 PM Re: Feature Suggestions? [Re: barumba]
gonk Offline
Desperado

This page always lists the latest firmware (both production and any public betas that are available). They release new firmware fairly regularly, as required for disc compatibility fixes, bug fixes, or new features.

Depending on how long you've had it, there have been new firmware releases. The public betas are generally optional unless they offer something you want or need (quick compatibility fix for a new release, fix for a bug you've been bothered by). They are typically stable enough for use, but OPPO plays it safe and doesn't start using those versions on the players they sell. That's saved for the production firmware releases. It's good to stay pretty current with those releases.

If you have the BDP-83 connected to the Internet (as required for using BD-Live), you can turn "firmware notification" on and the player will tell you when new firmware is available and ask for permission to install it. Otherwise, check the site from time to time to see what's new. If you don't have a network connection to the player, I like the USB update procedure. It's a very good technique and easy to do - all you need is a USB memory stick.

#83695 - 05/15/10 06:41 AM Re: Feature Suggestions? [Re: gonk]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
I did mine using the USB option. The firmware version I now have had only been released a few days before and I think before that it was the "public Beta" version. I primarily updated so I could watch the Avatar BD that I had read needed the update to play. I read somewhere that the people in Hollywood have been updating the DRM in the discs, which requires the updates to players to use the discs. So, it doesn't appear to be something that Oppo or other manufacturers forgot, but rather one they planned for, when they made the players firmware updating easy.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#83696 - 05/15/10 08:09 AM Re: Feature Suggestions? [Re: XenonMan]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Avatar works on the BDP-83 with the 1224 firmware (released around the first of January) and any version since then. Other players were not so lucky and required updates on launch day for Avatar.

Disc compatibility problems are the result of several factors. Some of it is looseness in the BD spec, although I think that's improved since the first year or two. Some of it is weird BD-Java code. Some of it is also DRM, as studios have frequently changed the DRM being used but haven't always given out test discs for manufacturers to use in updating existing players to be compatible with the new DRM. They also don't always do the best testing of new discs - they'll test on the PS3, of course, but sometimes they don't do much beyond that.

Page 14 of 31 < 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 30 31 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 187 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts