Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 32 of 32 < 1 2 30 31 32
Topic Options
#89445 - 02/16/12 10:27 PM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: Ritz2]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
I just repeated the story I read on Audioholics about the coat hanger test. Suits me to a TEE though. I don't get all caught up in the hype and generally call a spade a spade. I wish I had thought of the trick.

As far as making the 978 into a streaming machine I don't care at this point. If Outlaw had originally scoped it in I would be good with it. However with the production date slipping day by day I just want the damn thing out. I originally went with separates because I wanted the components designed for the function to perform their job as best as their design allows. The pre-pro is the body of the spider and all the rest are legs. I want the body to coordinate the legs. I figure the legs can be designed for specific functions and will be better than if they were part of the whole thing. By necessity the pre-pro has to have a great output section and a lot of inputs and a volume control. All the source components can be had off the shelf as each of us demands. Adding the price of streaming to the 978 was probably much harder than adding another HDMI port for a squeezebox or a Roku to plug into.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#89448 - 02/17/12 12:32 AM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: XenonMan]
GaryB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Originally Posted By: XenonMan
As far as making the 978 into a streaming machine I don't care at this point. If Outlaw had originally scoped it in I would be good with it. However with the production date slipping day by day I just want the damn thing out.

Agreed. I may lament the lack of an ethernet port on the 978 but it's moot at this point. It ain't happening.

#89449 - 02/17/12 01:39 AM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: GaryB]
Larry Venable Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Morristown TN
I ended up buying a DHC 80.1, and now that I'm considering replacing it I came back to see where Outlaw was, and it seems like only yesterday we were all waiting 1 1/2 yrs for the vapor wear 997..which is listed as a discontinued processor.. never made is more accurate. I can wait for Christmas again, but at some point I'll just buy a good balanced audio pre-pro and ditch the receivers for a video switcher. I get tired of waiting for EE's to do their thing. I can appreciate making a good product..just timely is better.

#89472 - 02/17/12 03:34 PM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: Larry Venable]
bobm Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: Larry Venable
I ended up buying a DHC 80.1, and now that I'm considering replacing it

Why is that? Are you having trouble with it?

#89805 - 03/24/12 04:49 AM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: praedet]
Peter Schmale Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I have checked out your pictures of the new processor & am impressed ! Love the design of the front bezel & the option of getting away from the bland grey - it's got pizazz ! How many DSP modes will it have over and above the normal cast of characters ? Without a due date, I doubt if I can wait to upgrade my system.
Integra DHC-80.3 Processor, Outlaw-7700 Amp, Oppo BDP-95 Blue Ray, DVD, SACD & DVD Audio Player, Pioneer Elite N50 Net Music Server, Sony PS3, Blue Jean "XLR" Interconnects, Ultra Link Ultra View II Platinum HDMI Cables, Surge-X, Gut Wire Power Cables, QED Silver Speaker Wire, Audio Quest & Wire World RCA's, Def Tech Surround Speaker System.

#90202 - 04/29/12 11:17 PM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: Peter Schmale]
twistybox Offline
Gunslinger

Speaking personally, I'd prefer not to see source-level functionality put into a pre-pro. That includes a music or media streaming functionality. Ethernet would be great for, as previous mentioned, updates and IP control however.

That said, the built-in tuner is a source - I'd love to see it removed too.

What are the odds we might be able to get a glimpse of the on-screen display any time soon? That ability, over HDMI, is a huge reason I'd like to upgrade from the 990. That and one of the balanced outputs on the 990 is dead.

#90284 - 05/09/12 09:21 AM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: twistybox]
Hank Offline
Desperado

Loc: Austin, Texas, USA
Quote:
What are the odds we might be able to get a glimpse of the on-screen display any time soon? That ability, over HDMI, is a huge reason I'd like to upgrade from the 990.

Great request, twistybox. A look at the OSD would be a good confidence builder at this point.

#90300 - 05/09/12 10:45 PM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: XenonMan]
beyond 1000 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Originally Posted By: XenonMan
I just repeated the story I read on Audioholics about the coat hanger test. Suits me to a TEE though. I don't get all caught up in the hype and generally call a spade a spade. I wish I had thought of the trick.

As far as making the 978 into a streaming machine I don't care at this point. If Outlaw had originally scoped it in I would be good with it. However with the production date slipping day by day I just want the damn thing out. I originally went with separates because I wanted the components designed for the function to perform their job as best as their design allows. The pre-pro is the body of the spider and all the rest are legs. I want the body to coordinate the legs. I figure the legs can be designed for specific functions and will be better than if they were part of the whole thing. By necessity the pre-pro has to have a great output section and a lot of inputs and a volume control. All the source components can be had off the shelf as each of us demands. Adding the price of streaming to the 978 was probably much harder than adding another HDMI port for a squeezebox or a Roku to plug into.

This is one of the best analysis I have heard concerning the 978. Can't add to it.

Thanks Xenonman

Page 32 of 32 < 1 2 30 31 32

Who's Online
0 registered (), 151 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Helson 1
patm1198 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts