Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#85287 - 12/12/10 05:50 PM For the remote: ditch IR, use zigbee
Lone Shepherd Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Northern VA
This seems like a no-brainer for a boutique brand like Outlaw.

I have a 950, which is nice enough, but am having lots of issues with it being unresponsive to the remote, especially when my (plasma) TV is on. IR is slow, requires line-of-sight, and is easily interfered with by plasma TVs.

Using something like zigbee, or another IEEE 802.15.4-2003 protocol seems like the way to go. Supposedly it's low cost, and extremely low-power -- you could power a remote control for 10 years off of a watch battery.

It would also be a great component in today's modern homes, as zigbee is becoming a popular communication method for home automation (thermostats, remote-controlled deadbolts, garage door openers, lights, etc).

Would love to see the next flagship Outlaw device lead the way forward in the market. Let's get rid of IR!

#90164 - 04/25/12 11:39 AM Re: For the remote: ditch IR, use zigbee [Re: Lone Shepherd]
old_school_2 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI, USA
I know that you can buy CAT5e to RS-232 adapters...I'm thinking about doing this for my 990. Basically, this requires that a GUI be written (for something like a laptop, tablet, android etc) that drives the RS-232 commands for the CAT5e/RS-232 box.

Personally, I love this idea...but sure, for future product, a wi-fi or wired ethernet port would be a great way to provide control to the unit from any device that happens to be on your home network (and provide the app with the purchase).

Mark
email: mark@immersifi.com
linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/mark-jay/5/82a/237

Who's Online
0 registered (), 145 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts