Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 46 of 70 < 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 69 70 >
Topic Options
#90140 - 04/21/12 02:59 AM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: 73Bruin]
jam Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Montreal, QC, Canada
Originally Posted By: 73Bruin
If your dream is for Oppo BDP-95 sound and picture processing quality, then, unfortunately, I believe you are going to be disappointed. From everything I have seen (and it would be great to be wrong), the BDP-95 has better Sabre DACs and a better video processing chipset than the 978 will have.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough about my Technicolor dream although I did mention in terms of sound quality (SQ). The Oppo BDP-95 obviously has a better video processor in the Marvell Qdeo over the 978's Anchor Bay processor (similar to the Oppo BDP-83). That aspect doesn't bother me as I have an Oppo BDP-83 and I'll eventually upgrade to a BDP-93 or higher when the need arises and I intend on bypassing the 978's video processing in favor of the Oppo's. When you're playing Blu-ray material, video processing becomes much less of a factor as it's a format that essentially plays the same on all BD players, unlike DVD with all its video processing requirements (de-interlacing, DNR, upconverting to 1080P, etc.).

As for the DACs, Outlaw hasn't explicitly mentioned which model number from the ESS Sabre DAC family they're using. I hope it's the ES9018 from ESS' Reference line (the Oppo BDP-95 uses two of those - one for stereo and a second for multi-channel), otherwise as you said, I'll be disappointed.

If you look at it. The price difference between the 93 and 95 is 1/3 the total expected cost of the 978.

Good point. One other thing one must consider is that the Oppos have a relatively high cost part, which is the Mediatek universal optical disc transport that you won't have in the 978. The BDP-95 also uses a high quality linear power supply with a nice toroid transformer made by Rotel, those are quite a bit more expensive than a switching power supply like the one that the 978 uses. I wish Outlaw had specified a liner power supply, at least for the analog audio section. Of course the 978 has 7 more balanced outputs along with a multitude more of connectors and a bigger case.

Edited by jam (04/21/12 03:16 AM)

#90143 - 04/21/12 06:32 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: jam]
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
Originally Posted By: jam
The Oppo BDP-95 obviously has a better video processor in the Marvell Qdeo over the 978's Anchor Bay processor (similar to the Oppo BDP-83). That aspect doesn't bother me as I have an Oppo BDP-83 ... When you're playing Blu-ray material, video processing becomes much less of a factor as it's a format that essentially plays the same on all BD players, unlike DVD with all its video processing requirements (de-interlacing, DNR, upconverting to 1080P, etc.)

Actually both of the Oppo's have the same Marvell Qdeo video processor which I have read was picked because it does a better job of processing streamed video. I am also not clear that the Outlaw is using the same Anchor Bay processor (of which there are/were several) as the 83. As you pointed out the issue so much isn't Blu-Ray as it is all of the other video sources (e.g. cable, satellite, streaming) where it appears that the Outlaw will be relatively lacking.

Originally Posted By: jam
As for the DACs, Outlaw hasn't explicitly mentioned which model number from the ESS Sabre DAC family they're using. I hope it's the ES9018 from ESS' Reference line (the Oppo BDP-95 uses two of those - one for stereo and a second for multi-channel), otherwise as you said, I'll be disappointed.

My desire was always to have the best DACs and video processing possible in the prepro so that corners could be cut elsewhere.
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

#90147 - 04/22/12 01:20 AM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: 73Bruin]
beyond 1000 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vancouver, Canada

My desire was always to have the best DACs and video processing possible in the prepro so that corners could be cut elsewhere.

My desire also. I wish we could have somehow replace the BD-95 in the 978 but that doesn't look like it is meant to be. I'm thinking that such a move would drive the price up more than Outlaw would want. Using a toroid would also drive the price up a bit. Outlaw needs to come out with an affordable unit so some compromises will have to be met.

#90151 - 04/23/12 01:20 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: beyond 1000]
Hank Offline
Desperado

Loc: Austin, Texas, USA
S.Sharkey wrote:
Quote:
admit to not being totally familiar with Outlaw's pre-pro history. Have their models been still buggy after 1 1/2 years as Emotiva's latest was?

My experience with my early 950 was ZERO bugs and no problems until last year.

jam: yes, WE are North America - I have friends in Canada and Mexico - some day WE will take back our manufacturing (but that's another topic wink

#90154 - 04/23/12 03:37 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: beyond 1000]
AusTexRocker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, Texas
Originally Posted By: beyond 1000

My desire also. I wish we could have somehow replace the BD-95 in the 978 but that doesn't look like it is meant to be. I'm thinking that such a move would drive the price up more than Outlaw would want. Using a toroid would also drive the price up a bit. Outlaw needs to come out with an affordable unit so some compromises will have to be met.

I find myself on the opposite side of this view. I would prefer my heavy processing done at the source, in this case the OPPO-95 (which seems like it will do a better job in all accounts). This pretty much takes the burden away from the 978 and allows it to focus on SQ and switching duties and future proofs it from future changes in DAC and video chip technology. There is certainly no point in having high end chips in every component. You could go the route of a cheap source feeding the 978 but I belive the theory of "junk in-junk out" might apply here and why feed the 978 junk? Any upgrades to an OPPO-95 type product would likely still be less expensive and another pre-pro.

Bedroom-Outlaw RR2150, Rotel RCD 1072, Dana Audio model 1

Blue Jeans connection on both

#90155 - 04/24/12 01:21 AM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: AusTexRocker]
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
Originally Posted By: AusTexRocker
I find myself on the opposite side of this view. I would prefer my heavy processing done at the source, in this case the OPPO-95 (which seems like it will do a better job in all accounts). This pretty much takes the burden away from the 978 and allows it to focus on SQ and switching duties and future proofs it from future changes in DAC and video chip technology. There is certainly no point in having high end chips in every component. You could go the route of a cheap source feeding the 978 but I belive the theory of "junk in-junk out" might apply here and why feed the 978 junk? Any upgrades to an OPPO-95 type product would likely still be less expensive and another pre-pro.

I don't understand your desire to pair a BDP-95 with an Outlaw pre-pro, other than as a cheaper alternative to something like a Parasound P-7. With a device "designed from the ground up with components optimized for enhanced analog audio performance" the Outlaw's room correction and other audio and video processing capabilities are essentially moot (except for cable or satellite TV).
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

#90156 - 04/24/12 08:10 AM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: 73Bruin]
Hank Offline
Desperado

Loc: Austin, Texas, USA
I agree with AusTexRocker's theory - I don't want a receiver or a pre/pro to have highest end video processing. Put those chips in the OPPO or other brand player and connect it directly to the display (TV or projector). Best video and best audio chipsets in a receiver or pre/pro serve to make them most expensive. In my opinion, the main function of the pre/pro in the case of the 978 is:
#1: audio SQ - put the best audio chipset in the 978
#2: signal management - switching amongst various front end components with no signal degradation
#2: room correction (if that's high on your list)

If you have a DVD player that contains the very best video AND audio chipsets, then you're buying a pre/pro for preamping signals from components other than your OPPO, switching between components and what else? - room correction? Seems expensive for just those functions.

YMMV

#90157 - 04/24/12 08:39 AM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: Hank]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
This discussion highlights why the 990 is still an awesome device. Used with a great machine like the Oppo makes it very relevant in todays market. Makes you wonder why the zoutlaws just didn't update it sooner instead of a complete redesign.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#90158 - 04/24/12 10:20 AM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: 73Bruin]
AusTexRocker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, Texas
Originally Posted By: AusTexRocker

I don't understand your desire to pair a BDP-95 with an Outlaw pre-pro, other than as a cheaper alternative to something like a Parasound P-7. With a device "designed from the ground up with components optimized for enhanced analog audio performance" the Outlaw's room correction and other audio and video processing capabilities are essentially moot (except for cable or satellite TV).

You are right that for me, the matching to a 978 is not ideal. My preference would be a device more like the Parasound P7. I am holding on to perhaps a futile wish that one of those new items Scott teased us with is something more in line with a traditional multi-channel preamp doing just the functions that Hank and I describe. It would likely be the last preamp I would ever need and as tech changes, a new source device will handle that. However, as you pointed out, the 978 may cost less than the P7 and certainly does so much more. Even if I would never use many of those functions, that keeps my interest alive for now.

Although I never owned a 990, XenonMan nailed it. With just a few updated that would be a killer.

Bedroom-Outlaw RR2150, Rotel RCD 1072, Dana Audio model 1

Blue Jeans connection on both

#90159 - 04/24/12 11:32 AM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: AusTexRocker]
beyond 1000 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Throw me in on the source doing the best decoding and the preamp performing signal control and room correction. If you should get an Oppo BD-95 it would be quite difficult to process or decode better sound. One question is that what is the future of Bluray in order to spend $1000 on a player.

Page 46 of 70 < 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 69 70 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 109 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts