Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#90108 - 04/19/12 12:08 AM Web Streams - Cool Stations and High Bit-rates?
old_school_2 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI, USA
OK, now I know there are many, many stations that now stream on the 'web, but I'm curious to know of some of your favorites - both in terms of programming, as well as the fidelity of the stream itself (i.e. bitrate).

I'll start:

KEXP. 90.3. Seattle; a great variety, lots of indie, classics, crossover, etc. I need to revise my station list in the Audiotron as right now I only get the 128 kbps stream (which does not sound all that great, however, the sheer variety of what I can hear on any given day is often enough to mitigate my wishes for a high bit-rate stream). Here's the link:

http://kexp-mp3-2.cac.washington.edu:8000/listen.pls

I really dig this station at times, because I use one of my Audiotrons (circa 2005) that is connected to my 990 to stream what I think is a VERY cool station, and send it to zone 2 - which feeds my whole-house system.

I'm sure that I will think of some others (WDET being one here in the Detroit area, primarily for one very, very cool show - Ann Delisi's Essential Music), but if anyone out there has any favorites or streams that feature either interesting / cool content and / or a high bitrate, feel free to post them here.

Thanks,

Mark
email: mark@immersifi.com
linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/mark-jay/5/82a/237

#90109 - 04/19/12 08:35 AM Re: Web Streams - Cool Stations and High Bit-rates? [Re: old_school_2]
Strider53 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Detroit
I too enjoy WDET.
There is also 90.9 WRCJ during the day for classical, evenings for jazz.
Or 89X on Sunday mornings for retro.

#90110 - 04/19/12 09:10 AM Re: Web Streams - Cool Stations and High Bit-rates? [Re: Strider53]
old_school_2 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Originally Posted By: Strider53
I too enjoy WDET.
There is also 90.9 WRCJ during the day for classical, evenings for jazz.
Or 89X on Sunday mornings for retro.

Do any of them also stream? I guess part of the appeal of streaming is that it allows me to listen to things that I couldn't otherwise do via terrestrial RF transmission. One of the things that really turns me off to Sirius/XM etc is while there seems to be great variety, the bit-rates are so low that I just can't listen to it (which is why I see no real value in sat radio). Thus, with KEXP (for example), while I am not at all crazy about 128 kbps, the shows are so great that I am willing to check my intolerance of sub-standard audio in order to hear some really cool and obscure tracks.

Back to WDET...I wonder how many web-listeners Ann Delisi's Essential Music garners each week. I really love that show - she always plays great tracks, and has some great back-stories behind the tracks, their production etc.

As far as WRCJ, yes, I have listened to them via conventional FM (as I do for WDET), and you're right - there's some great stuff there. I have not been using the tuner in my 990 due to the issue my unit appears to have with comb-filtering on analog sources, but I have a NAD 1600 and a 1700 (old-school analog FM), and the WDET and WRCJ signals sound really good, albeit level-compressed. There are times that I think I should buy another 1600, or a similar tuner (alone) from NAD, feed its tape out (or just output if a tuner) to an outboard A/D and take that into the 990.

Thanks for the input.

Edited by old_school_2 (04/19/12 09:14 AM)
email: mark@immersifi.com
linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/mark-jay/5/82a/237

#90113 - 04/19/12 12:20 PM Re: Web Streams - Cool Stations and High Bit-rates? [Re: old_school_2]
Strider53 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Detroit

old_school_2

Yes, I know WRJC streams but it is of pretty low quality.
This Station is a listener supported station (not NPR) and have not the financials for a higher quality system.

#90115 - 04/19/12 01:23 PM Re: Web Streams - Cool Stations and High Bit-rates? [Re: Strider53]
KOYAAN Offline
Desperado

Loc: Sanford NC
I enjoy WCPE. the classical station.com
Pioneer Elite DV-47A
Magnavox HDMR513h DVR/DVD-R
Sony DVD megachangers-2
Sony CD megachangers-2
Monster power centers-2
Sony 48" rear projection SDTV
Roku video player
JVC AL-A158 Turntable
Polk RT-2000s,CS-650,XS-650s,RT80s
LFM-1EX
Hsu VTF-1
12" Velodyne

Family room:
OPPO 970
Sony 32" direct view HDTV
Denon 3801
Rolk RMs

Who's Online
0 registered (), 88 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM