Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#90049 - 04/13/12 11:28 AM Remote Control Help?
old_school_2 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI, USA
So here's the situation...

In addition to my main system being run by a 990, I have a couple of NAD pieces that I picked up over the years that are used in other rooms' systems, and neither one came with a remote...however, both are remote capable (models 1600 & 1700).

I have a Home Theater master MX-500, and though I was able to use one of the codes they had listed for NAD audio (preamps / receivers), and I now have somewhat limited functionality (essentially able to raise / lower the volume and invoke the 'low level' gain function), but like all of us from time to time, I would like 'more'.

Since the MX-500 can learn other codes, the simplest thing would be to borrow such a remote and simply teach my MX-500 the commands, and assign them to the buttons / pages that I would like. The trouble is, of course, that I can think of / find no one locally that has an original NAD remote (from the 1600 or 1700) that I could borrow for this purpose.

So...my Outlaw brethren...do any of you out there reading this have, perchance, such an item in your possession? If so, would you be willing to loan it to me long enough to get the codes programmed into (actually 'learned by') my MX-500? I'd be willing to pay postage etc... I just don't want to shell out a bunch of dough for a now-rare remote that I won't really use (after I have taught the commands to the MX-500).

I know...I'm a cheap bast$#d, but I thought that I would ask.

Thanks,

Mark
email: mark@immersifi.com
linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/mark-jay/5/82a/237

#90052 - 04/13/12 08:11 PM Re: Remote Control Help? [Re: old_school_2]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Try contacting NAD and see if they can provide the code for your gear. I have never tried but the LogiTech Harmony has access to thousands of codes If you go to their website I think you can check if they have a code. If they do then NAD should be able to supply one that works with the MX-500.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#90063 - 04/14/12 11:06 PM Re: Remote Control Help? [Re: XenonMan]
old_school_2 Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks Xenon...there are three codes listed in the MX-500's manual, I have tried all three, and while they all seem to offer (limited) control of the device (volume up/down, and mute), none of the other commands seem to work. Anyway, I'll keep plugging away on this one. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mark

#90065 - 04/15/12 09:16 AM Re: Remote Control Help? [Re: old_school_2]
Bob Becker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, D.C.
Follow this link:

http://www.remotecentral.com/mx500/codes1.htm

There are several codes listed, and you will find links at the top of the page to two more pages with codes. I don't know whether one of them will help, but the remotecentral website has lots of stuff you might find useful.

#90106 - 04/18/12 09:43 PM Re: Remote Control Help? [Re: Bob Becker]
old_school_2 Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks Messrs XenonMan and Becker. I finally figured it out after my IQ had some time to grow. I truly (and foolishly) did not think about looking for the other commands on the additional pages as well as the pages of "favorites" on the MX-500. I think I have found all of them now (i.e. tuning up / down, select, etc), but they're not the most convenient. Still, I can always send the commands to my other MX-500 and put the commands where they most make sense, and then clone that "component" back to the other-other MX-500 - at least I think I can clone a component rather than the whole remote. Either way, it's worth doing because in the end, it will run the 1600 and the 1700 - and my girlfriend will be happy (ier?) now as she'll finally have a remote for her 1600 (I plan on giving her the other MX-500).

Thanks again guys...

[Here's an interesting update on this... Since both of you nudged me in the direction of revisiting the codes, that sort of vectored my thnking as to the best work-around; so thanks for that. I tried the various codes (of the three listed) for the MX-500 for NAD. That is, I used one MX-500 as a code-based remote control, and then in my OTHER MX-500, I set up an NAD component with the buttons (and the buttons adjacent to the LCD) labeled as I wanted them, i.e TUNR>, TUNR<, TAPE1, TAPE2, CD...etc). For each of the three NAD codes, I was able to generate some codes, and I would then teach those to the other MX-500. I did this using all three codes listed for the MX-500 (for NAD) and in the end, managed to teach every code to the other MX-500 (save for 'video').

After that, I was able to clone the custom NAD 'virtual' remote in the MX-500 back over to the MX-500 that had served as the code-based remote (the 'source' when I was teaching the codes to the other MX-500). I guess it's true: two remotes are indeed better than one. I can live with not being able to select the video input from the remote as the main inputs on the NAD's are the local streaming devices and the whole-house feed (each local Audiotron is connected to TAPE1, and the whole-house feed coming from zone 2 of the 990 is connected to TAPE2). I can switch to the tuner...select presets, scan, mute, adjust volume etc - pretty awesome as I had been using them as remote-less units. I'm really gald that I bought the MX-500's when I did. Again, thanks for keeping me focused on the fact the I had codes that could eventually get me there.]

Edited by old_school_2 (04/19/12 01:03 PM)
Edit Reason: wanted to acknowledge Xenon's and Becker's help

Who's Online
0 registered (), 111 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Helson 1
patm1198 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts