Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 40 of 70 < 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 69 70 >
Topic Options
#89833 - 03/26/12 11:13 AM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: S. Sharkey]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: S. Sharkey
With the amp comparison, one of them is made in China, which accounts for some of the difference. With the pre-pro comparison, I think they both will be made "back east" so the manufacturing part of the price tag would be similar.

As has been mentioned, I concur that Outlaw would use more robust parts in their amps when you simply compare transformer sizes, output device numbers and THD at rated power with the Emotiva amps. Well, you can't compare parts for THD, but why Emotiva spec'ed their amps to do .1% THD at full rated power is a cost saving measure in my opinion. Surely it costs more to spec amps to do rated power at .03 or thereabouts as Outlaws amps do? Which also gives them more clean headroom before getting into audible distortion.

I haven't looked inside an Emotiva amp so I'll take your word for it about the quality of the parts. I do like the fact that they publish the actual test results for their amps online. 0.1% THD at rated power isn't too shabby. THD at rated power for Outlaw's flagship 7900 is .05% (0.05% better) so I don't find the 0.1% at rated power value to be bad.

When I originally loaded up on Outlaw gear, I did so based on looking at the innards of a friend's 755. It was built like the proverbial brick outhouse. Given Outlaw's move to cheaper offshore-produced product in other arenas, I can't help but wonder what's going to become of the relationship they have with ATI for their USA-manufactured multichannel amps.

Best,

#89843 - 03/27/12 01:23 AM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: Ritz2]
beyond 1000 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Hey Ritz

I think Outlaw is a committed company to good quality no matter where they build their products. Case in point look at the 978 and Outlaw's commitment and obsession in bringing out a good product. As for their amplifiers, I'm sure they will continue their business relationship with ATI. I'm not sure where overseas very high powered, high quality amplifiers are built and at a good price to boot. I own the 7500 and I have taken many hi-res photos of the unit posted on Bluray.com. True these amplifiers are awesome which is what gives Outlaw a good name. Play with that and they will be shot up.

Edited by beyond 1000 (03/27/12 01:23 AM)

#89844 - 03/27/12 08:52 AM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: beyond 1000]
PeterT Offline
Gunslinger

Hello all,

When we started Outlaw over 12 years ago, our first product was the 750, a multi-channel amplifier built by ATI. We chose them because they always consistently spec extremely high quality parts (especially in their transformers and output device). In addition their layout, heat management and avoidance of pesky audible gremlins (such as cross talk) is among the best in the industry. When you purchase an Outlaw multi-channel amp, you expect it to sound great, meet (or exceed) its published specs, and to be reliable for years.
While we are not "expensive" we will never be the lowest price. Despite what we all desire, there are no real shortcuts to meeting these standards. For those of you that still own that original Model 750, here's an intersting calculation: divide the price you paid by the number of years it has powered your system(s) The value lies in the constant performance and longevity of that and our other multi-channel amps

We suggest that unless your needs (or wants) for power or number of channels change, there should not be a need to buy another Outlaw amplifier. While that statement is not great for our sales it is an undeniable fact and demonstrates our confidence in our own amps.

Thank you ATI and Thank you, our loyal Outlaw Customers

Peter

Edited by PeterT (03/27/12 11:02 AM)

#89845 - 03/27/12 10:15 AM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: PeterT]
AusTexRocker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, Texas
Indeed! Peter, I have been wanting a 7900 for a while and just missed the awesome offer during the holidays due to having just bought a pile of gifts for the family. I really, really, REALLY hope a sweet package deal is offered with the 978 or another one of the new products coming out.

Cheers!

Bedroom-Outlaw RR2150, Rotel RCD 1072, Dana Audio model 1

Blue Jeans connection on both

#89846 - 03/27/12 10:46 AM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: AusTexRocker]
legivens Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Euless, Texas, USA
I can atest for what Peter says. I still have the 750 and it still performs wonderfully. I purchased it not long after release and have never had an issue. I only upgraded to the 7900 because of the bargain it was at the holidays and I wanted a 7 channel amplifier. The 750 is still in use in the game room. Just not in my media room.
Outlaw Model 7900
Outlaw Model 5000 (for the ceiling speakers)
Marantz AV7702 MK2
Oppo BDP-105D
Axiom M80's, GoldenEar Super XXL, GoldenEar Aon 3's (sides and rears), GoldenEar HTR 7000's (in-ceiling for Atmos/DTS:X)
Outlaw LFM1-Plus and EX
Directv HD DVR
2 HD Monster Power centers
PS3
Harmony One

#89848 - 03/27/12 12:05 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: PeterT]
EEman Offline
Desperado

Loc: Canton, MI
I thought that was a pretty bold statement by PeterT regarding the Outlaw Amps. But then I started to think that I haven't seen much buzz in the forums over amps failing, only processors. A quick search of the amp forums showed only one topic back from 2008.

So my question is: Has anyone had any failures with an Outlaw amp? I haven't but my 7075 is only two years old.

#89850 - 03/27/12 12:34 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: EEman]
WWP3 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
I bought my 7700 in May of last year. When the unit arrived, I couldn't get sound out of it. After much testing on my own, I finally determined that I only had one channel providing amplification to my speakers. I called Outlaw, and within seven minutes of the start of the call, the customer service rep agreed with me, apologized for sending me a bad unit, and said they'd ship me a new one immediately, and all I had to do was box up the lemon and prepare it to leave with the same delivery guy who brought me the new unit.

The second unit arrived a few days later, and I've had no problems at all with it. Works just the way it should, and provides me excellent SQ, whether I'm listening to vinyl in two-channel, or watching a Blu-ray in multichannel.
Oppo BDP-105
AppleTV
TiVo XL Premiere
XBox 360

Legacy Whisper XD fronts
Legacy Focus center, sub, surround and surround back
Shunyata Defender conditioner

2-Channel:
Parasound Halo JC-1 monoblocks
McIntosh C2500 preamp
E.A.R. 324 phono stage
AMG Viella V12 turntable
Lyra Etna cartridge
VPI SDS

Kubala-Sosna Elation interconnects
Kubala-Sosna Elation speaker cable
Shunyata Triton & Typhon power conditioner

A man's reach should always exceed his grasp ... else, what's there a Heaven for?

#89851 - 03/27/12 02:06 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: WWP3]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia
I would agree that Outlaw's reputation in the amplifier segment is great...which is why I'm a little disappointed that so much effort has been seemingly squandered on releasing products outside of that core. The multi-year swing/miss cycles for the successor to the 990 have been pretty embarrassing. I also think it's a bit silly to branch off into table radios, cables, surge supressors, etc....but what do I know.

I've only had one Outlaw product fail. One of my LFM-1's lost the amp after only a couple of weeks. They shipped me a new one and I replaced it. Haven't had any problems since. My 990 had initial annoying issues with the firmware that Outlaw eventually ironed out with firmware updates. That was a somewhat annoying and lengthy process, but they were mostly nuisance-level bugs. My 755 never had any problems and was an absolute brute. It sounded great.

Time marches on. Hopefully, the next amp I get will be an efficient PWM design. Brute power without the space heater and space concerns. It would be cool if Outlaw were to offer such a thing.

Best,

#89852 - 03/27/12 03:53 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: Ritz2]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
I had a channel on my 7125 fail after a year of use. I swapped to another channel until I had spare amp and then sent the 7125 home for repair. Got it back 6 days later and it is a workhorses in my system. By the way the spare I purchased was a 7500 on sale. I bought it even knowing the 7125 had an issue because I knew Outlaw would take care of it for five years.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#89853 - 03/27/12 07:16 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: XenonMan]
beyond 1000 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
I have a 7500 and I am happy to say the unit is flawless. I am planning to add a 7075 to this for surround backs. I prefer the look of the 7075 to the 2200. Although my pre/pro is an Onkyo AVR presently operating the surround backs, I will be switching to the 978 thus the need for another amp.

Page 40 of 70 < 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 69 70 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 178 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts