Topic Options
#89643 - 03/02/12 05:28 PM SRS 6006?
NRBQLou Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Denver, CO USA
Just sayin'
Oppo BDP-83, Sony UBP-X800
Roku Streaming Stick +
Music Hall mm5.1 table, Ortofon 2M Blue Cartridge, Cambridge Audio 640P Phono Preamp, Pro-Ject Speed Box
Belkin Pure AV Power Conditioner
Audioquest Type 8 speaker cable, Monoprice speaker Cable
Mostly Monoprice interconnects

#89644 - 03/02/12 05:30 PM Re: SRS 6006? [Re: NRBQLou]
NRBQLou Offline
Gunslinger

OR SR6006, whatever it is...
Roku Streaming Stick +
Music Hall mm5.1 table, Ortofon 2M Blue Cartridge, Cambridge Audio 640P Phono Preamp, Pro-Ject Speed Box

#89659 - 03/06/12 12:03 PM Re: SRS 6006? [Re: NRBQLou]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

Loc: Illinois
I suspect the Outlaws are working on an expanded manual. When that is finished they usually post it and create a forum. I seem to recall that prior such offerings happened a little close to when the sales of the product started...

Maybe they're working a little ragged. (Or if you believe the wheels are thisclose to the whole thing coming undone given the lack of timely progress reports about a widely anticipated offering that has been acknowledged to require trips to the most evil manufacturing nation that is intent on destroying America you might have a different explanation...)

#89662 - 03/06/12 05:14 PM Re: SRS 6006? [Re: renov8r]
NRBQLou Offline
Gunslinger

renov8r - response of the day! One can surmise (by Gonk's absence, if nothing else) that the dreaded Asian-based unit is in beta testing -contrast this, however, with, I don't know, Oppo's approach to beta testing - I know that when I was waiting on the BDP-83 there was what amounted to a beta forum where issues, kudos, wishes, etc. were on display for all to see - I don't think that approach hurt Oppo one little bit...
Roku Streaming Stick +

#89670 - 03/07/12 06:07 PM Re: SRS 6006? [Re: NRBQLou]
KOYAAN Offline
Desperado

Loc: Sanford NC
Maybe Gonk isn't testing. He may have just gotten tired of reading complaints.
Pioneer Elite DV-47A
Magnavox HDMR513h DVR/DVD-R
Sony DVD megachangers-2
Sony CD megachangers-2
Monster power centers-2
Sony 48" rear projection SDTV
Roku video player
JVC AL-A158 Turntable
Polk RT-2000s,CS-650,XS-650s,RT80s
LFM-1EX
Hsu VTF-1
12" Velodyne

Family room:
OPPO 970
Sony 32" direct view HDTV
Denon 3801
Rolk RMs

#89677 - 03/08/12 01:08 PM Re: SRS 6006? [Re: NRBQLou]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Originally Posted By: NRBQLou
One can surmise (by Gonk's absence, if nothing else) that the dreaded Asian-based unit is in beta testing -contrast this, however, with, I don't know, Oppo's approach to beta testing - I know that when I was waiting on the BDP-83 there was what amounted to a beta forum where issues, kudos, wishes, etc. were on display for all to see - I don't think that approach hurt Oppo one little bit...

Reports of my demise have been slightly exaggerated. It's been a really hectic year so far for me, and my time online has been very limited lately.

I know both Outlaw and OPPO pretty well. The two have a lot in common, but they also operate in different ways in some regards. OPPO, for example, does not operate a company forum. There are threads at AVS and lots of other places that serve as support forums, but they are not company-hosted. Also, the BDP-83 isn't a "typical" example of how either company handles product development. In some cases, OPPO has allowed a player's beta testing status to be common knowledge, but normally no details about that beta process are allowed. More often than not, they have operated in a manner more like Outlaw. The DV-980H was released without any advance notice, and the BDP-80 was similar. The BDP-83 was in beta testing for months before beta testers were allowed to speak about it, and during the "open beta," when OPPO allowed customers to buy the player while firmware development was still being completed, there were actually two separate firmware development tracks ("T" for test that was used for internal testing, and "B" for beta that was used by paying customers). Discussion of the "B" firmware was open because it was available to customers, but discussion of "T" firmware was restricted to within the company and the testers who had signed NDAs. This was done because the "T" firmware was susceptible to show-stopping bugs, since it was being tested in part to find such bugs, while paying customers only got firmware that was considered unlikely to leave them unable to use the player they had paid for. New features also appeared in "T" firmware first, but could not be discussed publicly until they were in "B" firmware (and even then only discussed as far as they behaved within the "B" firmware). The BDP-93 was also in beta for some time before being publicly announced, and discussion of it by beta testers was not allowed until the player shipped.

#89679 - 03/08/12 05:07 PM Re: SRS 6006? [Re: gonk]
NRBQLou Offline
Gunslinger

Gonk! Welcome to the Outlaw Forum! wink If this is what it takes to "get you out of hiding" (as all Outlaws do from time to time), then it's worth it! And thanks for the clarification on the Oppo - I knew it wasn't a forum per se, but there still was a lot there for the potential consumer to gain impressions of how things were moving along - certainly more than the 978 slow trickle...
Roku Streaming Stick +

#89682 - 03/08/12 08:24 PM Re: SRS 6006? [Re: NRBQLou]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
It's a temporary reappearance - still way behind on lots of things - but I happened to check in (had a few PMs that I hadn't answered from weeks ago) and saw Koyaan's post in the recent activity.

Part of my point was that for some OPPO players, there was detailed information available, but for most the information was limited to a model number, feature list, and maybe a picture or two - not much different from what Outlaw's done over the years. In some cases, not even that was available until the first production run was sitting in California and ready to ship to customers. Test firmware has always been protected by NDA, and still is - if I were to get test firmware for one of my OPPOs tomorrow, I would still be under NDA and unable to discuss details of that firmware even though the hardware involved is available or even discontinued. "Beta" firmware is discussed online by beta testers and customers, but OPPO's beta firmware is publicly available to customers after the product is already available (although the 83 was in such demand that it was very hard to get for the first three or four months).

#89686 - 03/09/12 10:46 AM Re: SRS 6006? [Re: gonk]
KOYAAN Offline
Desperado

Loc: Sanford NC
Originally Posted By: gonk
It's a temporary reappearance - still way behind on lots of things - but I happened to check in (had a few PMs that I hadn't answered from weeks ago) and saw Koyaan's post in the recent activity.

Part of my point was that for some OPPO players, there was detailed information available, but for most the information was limited to a model number, feature list, and maybe a picture or two - not much different from what Outlaw's done over the years. In some cases, not even that was available until the first production run was sitting in California and ready to ship to customers. Test firmware has always been protected by NDA, and still is - if I were to get test firmware for one of my OPPOs tomorrow, I would still be under NDA and unable to discuss details of that firmware even though the hardware involved is available or even discontinued. "Beta" firmware is discussed online by beta testers and customers, but OPPO's beta firmware is publicly available to customers after the product is already available (although the 83 was in such demand that it was very hard to get for the first three or four months).

WELCOME BACK GONK , WE'VE MISSED YOU.
Pioneer Elite DV-47A
Magnavox HDMR513h DVR/DVD-R
Sony DVD megachangers-2
Sony CD megachangers-2
Monster power centers-2
Sony 48" rear projection SDTV
Roku video player
JVC AL-A158 Turntable
Polk RT-2000s,CS-650,XS-650s,RT80s
LFM-1EX
Hsu VTF-1
12" Velodyne

Family room:
OPPO 970
Sony 32" direct view HDTV
Denon 3801
Rolk RMs

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts