Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#89298 - 02/06/12 12:46 PM 970 Set Up....
EuroStyle Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Long Island, NY
Just got my 970 from ebay and am thrilled with it!

I have two set up questions that don't seem to be easy to find when searching the forum....

First, I have set the speaker types to large, but when I go into the system set up and choose Crossover, it reads "none" and won't let me change it. I am using the front panel instead of the OSD as I am not using the 970 for video switching, just audio. As a side note, to enable the OSD do I just run from "monitor out" to the display?

Secondly, I bought an SPL meter and take it the volume should be set to "0", the test tones turned on and the meter at optimal position in the center of the couch.....then use the channel gains to perfect the 75db reading? I am guessing I should set the speaker distances first?

Sean
Polk RTi 38 Rears
Polk CSi 40 Center
Polk PSW 202 Sub

#89299 - 02/06/12 01:25 PM Re: 970 Set Up.... [Re: EuroStyle]
EEman Offline
Desperado

Loc: Canton, MI
When the speaker size is set to large the 970 sends a full bandwidth signal to the speakers, thus no crossover. If you want a crossover then you have to set the speaker size to small. I don't imagine the Polks will have a problem accepting the full range input but you may want play with it a little and see which you prefer.

I set all the trim levels to '0' and then adjust the main volume knob to get close. I always start with my left front speaker and then match the others to that one. I'm not too picky about the 75dB reading. If it happens to be 72 I just match all the speakers to 72. Sound meter should be at your listening position and remember to use "C" weighting.

Setting the distance won't impact the level readings so setting it before or after doesn't matter.

#89300 - 02/06/12 06:41 PM Re: 970 Set Up.... [Re: EEman]
EuroStyle Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Long Island, NY
Ah, the manual mentions about not allowing cross over points with speakers set to large, but the context made me think it was only for the 7.1 rear surrounds. Thanks for the quick reply...it already is sounding good, but dialing in should make it even better.....

Sean
Polk RTi 38 Rears
Polk CSi 40 Center
Polk PSW 202 Sub

Who's Online
0 registered (), 90 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM