Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#8923 - 03/07/06 12:26 PM Re: Klipsch Lascalas or belle horns
tulane_steve Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New Orleans, Louisiana
I also had a pair of Klipsch Heresy speakers years ago and their low frequency response didn't go very low. I (unfortunately) had to use an equalizer to remedy that. And yes, Klipsch are meant to be used with LOWER POWERED amplification sources. You simply to not need a 200wpc amp or receiver with these speakers. You will find they will sound much sweeter with something along the lines of 30 to 45wpc. The way I handled it was changing the amperage of the fuse in the amplifier (I had a Hafler DH-500 at the time). The Hafler allowed you to change the amount of power output based on the amperage of the fuse. For use with the Klipsch speakers, I placed a low amperage fuse in the amplifier, which gave me about 35wpc average/continuous. I still had to use an equalizer for the bass problem but the speakers really sang with lower power. I have long since sold the Heresy's and my Hafler amp. I am now a Boston Acoustics devotee (I am also still very much a two-channel devotee) and still have an (ancient?) Carver M4.0t amp with my Musical Fidelity E20 preamp hooked up to my Boston CR-9's, along with my VPI turntable, AudioQuest arm, and Sumiko Talisman-S mc cartridge, and a generic mass-produced cd/dvd player (which I intend to replace with a Cambridge Audio cd/dvd player).

I am, however, looking forward to purchasing the new Outlaw receiver after a very positive review in Stereophile. It's a beautiful retro-looking receiver.

#8924 - 03/07/06 12:59 PM Re: Klipsch Lascalas or belle horns
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I've heard nothing but good things about the RR2150, Steve. Welcome to the forum, and I hope you are doing and those around you are doing well in the aftermath of Katrina.

#8925 - 03/07/06 08:32 PM Re: Klipsch Lascalas or belle horns
tulane_steve Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New Orleans, Louisiana
Gonk, thank you so much for your kind words. I'm happy to say I was very fortunate with regard to Katrina. I still have a roof over my head (no wind damage and no flooding -- I'm in a higher elevation area of Metairie, LA), I still have a car that runs perfectly (I drove it to evacuate to Lafayette, LA), and when I came back home, I still had a job and a paycheck. Obviously some higher plane of cosmic consciousness was watching over me. Actually, I just went on line and ordered the new RR2150 receiver. With the excellent review in Stereophile, there is a backlog and it will be about 2-3 weeks before they ship, which is perfect okay...I have plenty of toys to play with while I'm waiting! Thanks again so much for your reply.

#8926 - 03/07/06 09:06 PM Re: Klipsch Lascalas or belle horns
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
That's excellent news! (Both the roof over your head and the two to three weeks before RR2150's return...)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 95 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM