Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#89130 - 01/16/12 07:45 PM Outlaw Headphones?!
KJMAN Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Portland OR

I'm a headphone guy and have been for 30 years. Anyone walking into this saloon knows that Outlaw as a company can develop and provide cost-effective/high value electronics (receivers, pre-pros,amps), speakers/subs, cables. Why not a good/great series of headphones?
If Outlaw makes a headphone I would buy 'em and try 'em- how is that for market analysis?!

I'm basically a Sennheiser guy starting with their HD-450, then the HD-580 and now the HD-650. I did get Grado's well regarded SR60 phones the same year that Stereophile picked them as budget component of the year. To me they sounded good and felt bad!
No ear buds will get my vote, since I've been underwhelmed with Shure's $100 entry model; and now the Skullcandy 11mm driver phones can be had for $15 and they sound like an AM clock radio playing MP3's. No profit margin and no resemblance to high-end sound- IMHO.

As a Maggie owner/lover, I am very intrigued by Audizee's planar phones. Has anyone heard them???

I'd like an over the ear, open design and whether Outlaw designs a driver based, an electrostatic, or a planar based headphone...I'll buy a pair!

I always prefer a headphone amp and started with Audio Alchemy's little headphone amp. Then at the '97 Stereophile show in San Fran, I bought the unstackable Musical Fidelity X-cans, which I still use and like.
There is my two cents worth, but I'll pay a lot more than that for some Outlaw headphones. I trust you guys in spite of your name!

KJMAN
Oppo BDP-95, Outlaw Model 990, Model 770/Model 2200, Krell S-300i/Jolida 25 watt tube amp, Musical Fidelity Supercharger 550, Magnepan 3.6's on Mye stands, Magnepan center & surrounds, James EMB-1000/Outlaw Model LFM-Plus subs. Kimber Hero balanced, Analysis Plus Ones, Outlaw PSC & PCA interconnects. Kimber 4TC, Paul Speltz' Anti-Cable, Apature solidcore silver speaker cables.
TE HDS-12 HDMI splitter (Outlaw beta product) to Sony Bravia VPL-HW15 SXRD projector, 92" Stewart Studiotek 130.
Power via PS Audio outlet, Furman Elite-15 conditioner, Shunyata Anaconda cords.
A/V life is good!

#89133 - 01/16/12 08:25 PM Re: Outlaw Headphones?! [Re: KJMAN]
KJMAN Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I see some discussion on the "new products" and I would also like to see a headphone amp from the Outlaws!
Oppo BDP-95, Outlaw Model 990, Model 770/Model 2200, Krell S-300i/Jolida 25 watt tube amp, Musical Fidelity Supercharger 550, Magnepan 3.6's on Mye stands, Magnepan center & surrounds, James EMB-1000/Outlaw Model LFM-Plus subs. Kimber Hero balanced, Analysis Plus Ones, Outlaw PSC & PCA interconnects. Kimber 4TC, Paul Speltz' Anti-Cable, Apature solidcore silver speaker cables.
TE HDS-12 HDMI splitter (Outlaw beta product) to Sony Bravia VPL-HW15 SXRD projector, 92" Stewart Studiotek 130.
Power via PS Audio outlet, Furman Elite-15 conditioner, Shunyata Anaconda cords.
A/V life is good!

#89166 - 01/19/12 08:07 PM Re: Outlaw Headphones?! [Re: KJMAN]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

Loc: Illinois
Prettty crowded field and populated with a weird mix of tube based and/or external DAC units to facilitate the trend du jour of "extracting a musical" sound from iPod...

I just want new PrePro !

#89202 - 01/25/12 12:37 PM Re: Outlaw Headphones?! [Re: renov8r]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Keep in mind that Outlaw typically doesn't produce equipment. They design equipment for others to build and then sell it without the big box store. I am not sure they could design a headphone that economically competes with the others out there. As a point of curiousity can you tell me if headphone cables are similar to speaker and interconnect cable as far as the superior claims for the various materials they are made of.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#89252 - 01/31/12 06:11 PM Re: Outlaw Headphones?! [Re: XenonMan]
KJMAN Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

RE: Headphone "upgrade" cables. As a Sennheiser man, I did try the Cardas cable sold specifically as an upgrade for several models, including mine. I tell you the honest truth...I did not hear any difference at all from the factory cable. Not only did I not hear any difference, good or bad, the Cardas cable started shorting out (Rt ear)after 6-8 weeks. They politely sent me another one when I returned the defective product. The 2nd one also shorted out within a month, but at the other end where it plugged into my amp. This time, they just sent me a new 3rd cable and didn't even ask for the 2nd one back. Meanwhile, I ordered another Sennheiser factory cable for $29, instead of the $229 or whatever it was I paid for the Cardas. I get 5 years of good service from the factory cords.

I'm not jogging with these either, as it was my bedroom system consisting of a Marantz CC4001 5-disc changer, into a Musical Fidelity X-24 DAC, then into my Musical Fidleity X-Cans then the Cardas cable to my 580's and 650's.
So to answer your question, it pains me as a "true believer" in cable making a difference; I can't say that the Cardas cable "upgrade" did any good at all for me. All I can say is 3 Cardas "upgrade" cables, no sonic or other benefits- they had sighted 'durability' in their ad, but that certainly wasn't my experience!
KJMAN
A/V life is good!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 111 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Helson 1
patm1198 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts