Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#88999 - 01/08/12 10:40 PM RR 2150 and External DAC
Carpetbagger Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

After spending much time and money putting together a 5.1 (and ultimately 7.1) AV system with several Outlaw components, I am taking the plunge into a second 2-Channel set up. Since all roads lead to Rome, I find myself looking seriously at the RR 2150. It fits the bill nicely for my needs - except for one concern.

I'm just not thrilled about connecting an iPod to the front panel of the receiver via a mini-jack and hoping for the best. Since the 2150 has no digital inputs , I have been looking at exterior DAC and transport devices to provide a better interface for my iPod and the kids' iPhones. Such avenues can get pricey, but I'm willing to commit a reasonable sum in order to process the sound through something other than the DACs in Apple products.

Am I overthinking the issue? I'm interested in the thoughts of any of you who may have travelled that road.

#89000 - 01/09/12 02:53 AM Re: RR 2150 and External DAC [Re: Carpetbagger]
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Loc: El Cajon, California
Actually the RR-2150 does have a digital input; the USB on the back panel. I'm not all that versed in the variety of iPod accessories but is there one with a digital out via USB? If you are looking for a DAC I can recommend the Cambridge Audio DACMagic. I use it to feed digital inputs from my CD player, Airport Express and laptop to my vintage integrated amp with great success. Enjoy!

#89009 - 01/09/12 12:46 PM Re: RR 2150 and External DAC [Re: AvFan]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The RR2150's USB input allows the receiver to serve as a sort of "external sound card" for a computer. I doubt it would work with any iPod docks.

When using an Ipod as source, consider the overall signal path. Are you playing lossless files? If so, a dock with a good internal DAC or a dock with a digital output and a separate DAC might be worthwhile, but most docks have analog outputs and many of those use the iPod's internal DAC as well. If you are playing anything with lossy compression, spending a ton of money on the signal path may be kind of wasteful.

I've had pretty good results hooking an iPhone or iPad to the RR2150's auxiliary input. I did it knowing that I was playing a lossy source (albeit at a pretty good bit rate), so I didn't expect the same sound quality I'd get from a CD or SACD through the BDP-83SE, but it was still pretty pleasant.

#89039 - 01/10/12 05:43 PM Re: RR 2150 and External DAC [Re: gonk]
Alejx Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

There are CD players with a usb input for an ipod you could use. The best reason to get a dac, however, is not to play music from an ipod but from a computer. The usb input will do that on the RR2150 but there are better quality dacs you can use as well.

#89091 - 01/12/12 11:37 PM Re: RR 2150 and External DAC [Re: Alejx]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

Loc: Illinois
The company that makes the most "mainstream" way to hook an iPod to a DAC is probably Cambridge Audio -- http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/specifications.php?PID=605&Title=Specifications

I wonder how much of the $300 cost of this thing could be done by a much less costly solution???

#89112 - 01/14/12 03:19 PM Re: RR 2150 and External DAC [Re: renov8r]
Carpetbagger Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks for the input. I'm sold on the RR2150, it's the remainder of the stuff I'm still thinking about. One question for Gonk - is the drop in sound quality from CDs to the iPod accessed through the front panel mini-jack input on the RR2150 similar to the drop in sound quality between CDs and an iPod on a good car audio system? In reality, I headed toward buying the darn thing, plugging it all in and seeing what (if anything) I need to add later. I just like to know what I'm getting into...

#89118 - 01/14/12 09:58 PM Re: RR 2150 and External DAC [Re: Carpetbagger]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

Loc: Illinois
I'm sure gonk can weigh in, but in my experience the limited quality of the DACs in most car audio and the very limited headroom of factory amps means the "step down" to the iPod as a source is not as noticeable as in most decent home audio systems...

#89119 - 01/15/12 10:31 AM Re: RR 2150 and External DAC [Re: renov8r]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
One of the biggest diferences you are going to experience is the size, quality and design of the speakers. Most car stereo speakers are single cone without a tweater section or a decent crossover. Aside from that, they are generally much less responsive and the enclosures are not designed for sound quality. Because the speakers are so much better in the home (even the cheap ones) and they provide most of the coloration in a digital system, you will hear a big improvement in SQ.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#89121 - 01/15/12 02:46 PM Re: RR 2150 and External DAC [Re: Carpetbagger]
pdxkp Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Also not Gonk, but...yes, the drop off in quality will be similar to that between CDs and an iPod on a good car audio system.

FWIW, my experience:

First, ran my ipod through a standard ipod dock (uses the ipod dac) and connected it through the RR2150 analog input. Not bad, but room for sound quality improvement, as well as no charging for the ipod.

Then, I got an HRT istreamer DAC. Sound quality definitely improved (my wife felt moved to say "wow"), and it charges the ipod. Still the HRT requires an external power source and is a bit flimsy feeling--you use the standard ipod connection cable to hook up the ipod, and the dock is not compatible. Also, no remote.

Currently, I use the Apple airport express connected via toslink to an inexpensive external DAC. This lets me stream all my digital music using my ipod as a remote. Also, any ipod with airplay can stream through the airport express. I am enjoying Pandora streamed from my ipod as I write.

If you require ipod access, the airport express plus a DAC with toslink input is a good option. Perhaps not "audiophile," but a clear audio improvement over the minijack input, and very functional and convenient.

Ken

#89150 - 01/17/12 10:57 PM Re: RR 2150 and External DAC [Re: pdxkp]
Lex Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I'm not sure I understand what this product description says: "USB input for playback of streaming audio output from compatible computers".

So can I connect a Macbook via the USB and listen to, say 320 kbit/s MP3s?

Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 130 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM