Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#8923 - 03/07/06 12:26 PM Re: Klipsch Lascalas or belle horns
tulane_steve Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New Orleans, Louisiana
I also had a pair of Klipsch Heresy speakers years ago and their low frequency response didn't go very low. I (unfortunately) had to use an equalizer to remedy that. And yes, Klipsch are meant to be used with LOWER POWERED amplification sources. You simply to not need a 200wpc amp or receiver with these speakers. You will find they will sound much sweeter with something along the lines of 30 to 45wpc. The way I handled it was changing the amperage of the fuse in the amplifier (I had a Hafler DH-500 at the time). The Hafler allowed you to change the amount of power output based on the amperage of the fuse. For use with the Klipsch speakers, I placed a low amperage fuse in the amplifier, which gave me about 35wpc average/continuous. I still had to use an equalizer for the bass problem but the speakers really sang with lower power. I have long since sold the Heresy's and my Hafler amp. I am now a Boston Acoustics devotee (I am also still very much a two-channel devotee) and still have an (ancient?) Carver M4.0t amp with my Musical Fidelity E20 preamp hooked up to my Boston CR-9's, along with my VPI turntable, AudioQuest arm, and Sumiko Talisman-S mc cartridge, and a generic mass-produced cd/dvd player (which I intend to replace with a Cambridge Audio cd/dvd player).

I am, however, looking forward to purchasing the new Outlaw receiver after a very positive review in Stereophile. It's a beautiful retro-looking receiver.

#8924 - 03/07/06 12:59 PM Re: Klipsch Lascalas or belle horns
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I've heard nothing but good things about the RR2150, Steve. Welcome to the forum, and I hope you are doing and those around you are doing well in the aftermath of Katrina.

#8925 - 03/07/06 08:32 PM Re: Klipsch Lascalas or belle horns
tulane_steve Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New Orleans, Louisiana
Gonk, thank you so much for your kind words. I'm happy to say I was very fortunate with regard to Katrina. I still have a roof over my head (no wind damage and no flooding -- I'm in a higher elevation area of Metairie, LA), I still have a car that runs perfectly (I drove it to evacuate to Lafayette, LA), and when I came back home, I still had a job and a paycheck. Obviously some higher plane of cosmic consciousness was watching over me. Actually, I just went on line and ordered the new RR2150 receiver. With the excellent review in Stereophile, there is a backlog and it will be about 2-3 weeks before they ship, which is perfect okay...I have plenty of toys to play with while I'm waiting! Thanks again so much for your reply.

#8926 - 03/07/06 09:06 PM Re: Klipsch Lascalas or belle horns
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
That's excellent news! (Both the roof over your head and the two to three weeks before RR2150's return...)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users