Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 6 of 13 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13 >
Topic Options
#89154 - 01/18/12 08:57 AM Re: Thread to bash the integrity of whatever... [Re: 73Bruin]
EEman Offline
Desperado

Loc: Canton, MI
TV's Made in the United States? Yes, if you believe this link:

TVs Made in Michigan

Can this be true? Also note the comment about manufacturing in Michigan vs. China. I'll be watching this closely.
LG 65" OLED
RR2150 w/Klipsch SCR-2

#89155 - 01/18/12 11:49 AM Re: Thread to bash the integrity of whatever... [Re: EEman]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: EEman
TV's Made in the United States? Yes, if you believe this link:

TVs Made in Michigan

Can this be true? Also note the comment about manufacturing in Michigan vs. China. I'll be watching this closely.

Now that's what I'm talking about. It is possible to do if you WANT to manufacture/assemble here. As I've said before, I find it hard to believe that there is any significant cost savings by outsourcing *assembly* of electronic components to China and then shipping the resulting units to the US. But you've got to WANT to do it. However, based on Peter's previous comments, there does not appear to be any will to buck the outsourcing route.

#89156 - 01/18/12 12:59 PM Re: Thread to bash the integrity of whatever... [Re: Ritz2]
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
Ritz2: While I agree with you in concept, I can also see that Outlaw, with its virtual model, would need to find a willing partner to take on the manufacturing role. Perhaps ATI and D&M Holdings wouldn't or couldn't and they couldn't find an alternate. In that case I can understand them going off-shore. I would just have preferred them going a non-Chinese route.
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

#89157 - 01/18/12 02:16 PM Re: Thread to bash the integrity of whatever... [Re: 73Bruin]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Originally Posted By: 73Bruin
Ritz2: While I agree with you in concept, I can also see that Outlaw, with its virtual model, would need to find a willing partner to take on the manufacturing role. Perhaps ATI and D&M Holdings wouldn't or couldn't and they couldn't find an alternate. In that case I can understand them going off-shore. I would just have preferred them going a non-Chinese route.

I agree. At the end of the day, it's a private company run with a handful of employees. Their reason(s) for pursuing their current offshore design/manufacturing is not a matter of public record and they certainly don't need to justify it to anyone. However, there are clearly a number people like myself who will not purchase a Chinese manufactured unit when other viable alternatives are available.

Best,

#89161 - 01/19/12 02:30 PM Re: Thread to bash the integrity of whatever... [Re: Ritz2]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

Loc: Illinois
I the computer / cell phone you are posting from manufactured in Detroit?

www.computersmadeinusa.com

www.usstuff.com/cellphon.htm

I guess viable alternative is a relative term...

#89162 - 01/19/12 03:30 PM Re: Thread to bash the integrity of whatever... [Re: renov8r]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Originally Posted By: renov8r
I the computer / cell phone you are posting from manufactured in Detroit?

www.computersmadeinusa.com

www.usstuff.com/cellphon.htm

I guess viable alternative is a relative term...

Actually, my phone is made in Korea (Samsung Galaxy S II). My work laptop (Dell) appears to be made in China. However, my home rig is self-built with (to the extent possible) parts from Taiwan, Japan, other countries in Asia. I think I ultimately had to settle for a power supply that was assembled in China and I'm quite sure that lots of the smaller sub-components were sourced there. The highest value parts (cpu, gpu, memory, hard disk, SSD) were all from places other than China. I do what I can. Sometimes there really isn't an alternative. Personally, I prefer not to hand bricks to the guy who is trying to dam the river that waters my farmland, even when it would be more convenient (in the short run) to do so.

Best,

Edited by Ritz2 (01/19/12 03:34 PM)

#89168 - 01/20/12 04:51 PM Re: Thread to bash the integrity of whatever... [Re: Ritz2]
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
I sure hope that Outlaw is not planning on using Foxcon as its manufacturing partner in China. And I hope that my RR2150 is not made by them either. <edit adding > or companies that operate in a similar manner.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-tic...-172800495.html

The stuff down in the link is even more interesting/depresssing.

Edited by 73Bruin (01/20/12 05:04 PM)
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

#89179 - 01/23/12 02:02 PM Re: Thread to bash the integrity of whatever... [Re: 73Bruin]
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA

Ignorance is bliss, aay? frown

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#89181 - 01/23/12 05:34 PM Re: Thread to bash the integrity of whatever... [Re: Kevin C Brown]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

Loc: Illinois
Timely article --- http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/busine...;pagewanted=all

The key points touch on the fact that there are simply too many downsides beyond costs of trying to get anything built by US electronics assemblers. Given that it is a story in the NYTimes they bend themselves in knots trying to avoid implicating traditional supporters of the party of the donkey, but it is hard not to read the article and see where factory owners and investors undoubtedly would have loved to be able to offer firms like Apple the flexibalities that are impossible in an environment where the work situation / hiring status of every employee is subject to rules laid out by DOJ attorneys...

The perhaps unintended consquences of using legislation and collective bargaining to bolster the "rights" of American laborers has been to so severaly curtail the employment of such workers as to render them nearly extinct.

#89182 - 01/23/12 05:45 PM Re: Thread to bash the integrity of whatever... [Re: Kevin C Brown]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Originally Posted By: Kevin C Brown

Ignorance is bliss, aay? frown

Ferengi rule of acquisition #181:

Not even dishonesty can tarnish the shine of profit.

---

Exploiting workers = "helping them out of poverty"

Nice.... <rolling eyes>

And I'm the farthest thing from a bleeding heart liberal that you'll meet...but this has to stop.

Page 6 of 13 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts