Page 10 of 13 < 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 >
Topic Options
#89320 - 02/09/12 01:45 PM From the home page.... [Re: bobm]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

Loc: Illinois
http://www.outlawaudio.com/about/factory.html

"Factory? We're Outlaws! We don't need no stinkin' factory!!"
It's true, we have no factory, and we never will. If you are not building huge quantities of products, factories are very inefficient and add unnecessary overhead to the final manufacturing cost. We are designers and engineers. First we spec and design our products, and then we locate the best possible venue for their manufacture.
We are convinced that by matching a specific product to its ideal manufacturing venue, we will always deliver the best and most cost-effective A/V components. This development and manufacturing model, combined with a direct sales channel exclusive to the Internet, allows us to offer the best possible values to our customers.

Originally Posted By: bobm
Originally Posted By: renov8r
The "VALUE ADD" work is done by electronic designers / engineers that own / work for the stateside firms.

Are stateside firms designing the 978 or is that all done overseas as well?

Bob

#89322 - 02/09/12 02:24 PM Re: "Under the covers..." [Re: 73Bruin]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: 73Bruin
IIRC, Peter T had previously posted that the software/firmware programming was being done in China. I have not seen any comments about the electrical design.

The software and firmware bits are what is important here. The hardware platform is likely to be someone else's commoditized design. What actually gets "designed" by Outlaw other than the dimensions of the box and faceplate would be interesting to know. Anyone? I think Peter mentioned something about Scott going to China. I could be mistaken, but unless there's another Scott @ Outlaw, Scott Jackson is a sales/marketing person, not an engineer.

Best,

Edited by Ritz2 (02/09/12 02:26 PM)

#89325 - 02/09/12 05:20 PM Re: "Under the covers..." [Re: Ritz2]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

Again, I most respectfully ask what it is that is duplicative of the upcoming 978?

I would be curious to hear you explain your view of who / what is offering a "commoditized" overall design for any prepro...

Walk into any sort of store that sells ANYTHING related to "audio" in the broadest sense and while the functionality may be similar from a "30,000 foot level" the fact is there are relativeluy few offerings with the feature set that has been promised of the 978, and here I don't just mean the "software", but the analog portion of any pre-pro has LOTS of design decisions. Everything from what sorts of input tolerances are allowed to how the volume controls are designed have a rather immportant impact on what ultimately is sent to the amps. As has been discussed before there are only a handful of pre-pro units that could be considered "electrical peers" of the presumed features of the 978 and the value proposition of most of that small group is considerably more constrained -- many can only be considered the sorts of products that the top 1% of earners would ever be in a position to buy.

I find it odd that the skills /qualifications of a founder of Outlaw are being questioned. Scott Jackson's title, as Director of Sales, has included a hands-on role in product development, internal and external testing, logistics, QC, vendor relations and many other tasks that in a larger firm would certainly fall onto more specialized staff. The leanness of the firm and the past success have probably forced many competitors to re-evaluate how much overhead makes sense in this day of highly virtualized production.

Finally I find it most curious that you consider the "software and firmware" as so important, yet continue to suggest that there is something bad / cheap / undesirable about "standardized offerings". Taking that literally I would suggest that highest value software in the 978, the room equalization, is definately a "product" of the LOS ANGLES CA, USA based Audysssey LLC ( founded by Tomlison Holman & Chris Kyriakis of USC's Imersive Audio Lab) which is certainly offered, in admittedly a wide range of variations, by a huge variety of firms, all of whom do a substantial portion of their assembly in a part of the world that you are vehment in your distaste for...

#89328 - 02/10/12 10:46 AM Re: "Under the covers..." [Re: renov8r]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia
Jeebus, you're going far afield...to what end...who knows? Wow, Tom Holman...there's a name I haven't heard in ages. I've still got an original Apt pre-amp that was designed by Tom. Not sure what your fascination is with EveAnna, though I suspect she'd get a kick out of it. We actually went to college together and I started off my audiophile odyssey with a pair of VTL compact 100's. Not sure what that has to do with anything, but since you're sharing, I felt obligated to contribute. LOL

As for the Outlaw pre-amp, you're fooling yourself if you think it's going to turn out to be anything more than a reference design from some other player in an Outlaw box with (perhaps) some firmware bits unique to Outlaw's "design." If/when the darned thing ever ships, surely someone can open one up and confirm that. Given the cozy relationship with D&M Holdings, that's where I'd place my bet. That doesn't make Outlaw bad or incompetent, but nobody is going to design and build a custom unit at that price point and with what I'd imagine are going to be relatively low production numbers.

Re: Scott

He's a great guy and I've spoken to him a couple of times on the phone. However, he's not an engineer or a software developer. Call Outlaw's number and ask him for yourself.

As for my distaste for production in China, I think we all know where I stand. Feed that monster at your own peril.

Best,

Edited by Ritz2 (02/10/12 10:51 AM)

#89336 - 02/10/12 08:02 PM Re: "Under the covers..." [Re: Ritz2]
jacket_fan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I am not sure what the argument is here. I don't recall Outlaw proclaiming that any of their products are designed from the ground up by Outlaw. The amps are from ATI with a different faceplate, at least the high power ones. (Which are manufactured in the USA by the way).

I have only seen that they sell products that they have oversight in development and stand by their product with superior service.

I am curious to know if there is any permanent engineering staff at the Outlaw hideout. Does anyone know? Gonk?

I agree with Ritz, there is notthing wrong with this business model. It seems successful for Outlaw.

mj

#89337 - 02/10/12 09:37 PM Re: "Under the covers..." [Re: jacket_fan]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

I would not call it an "arguement" so much as friendly speculation and refutation. My contention is that there is so limited a set of offerings in the pre-pro category that it is all but impossible for there to be some firm cranking out "generic reference designs" (whatever that might even mean is quite a mind twister) just waiting to order its yellow horde to slap name plaques on 'em to knock a death blow to a non-existant US based industry.

Just becuase the Outlaw business model includes reselling Marantz pre-pros does not mean that they have any more ability to tap into the D&M "supply chain" than a firm like Best Buy would tap Panasonic to build its house brand TV sets...

Similarly if one was to speculate that perhaps Outlaw partnered with a firm like ATI to supply some schematics / prototypes for the 978 I would wonder if there would ever be anything "under the covers" to link the "heritage" of that firm's costly solution to the likely much more affordable 978...

Firms like Denon, part of D&M, do not even offer a pre-pro. Other competitors, like Onkyo / Integra would seem highly averse to sharing technology / manufacturing with Outlaw and their much leaner business...

While it can be fun to speculate on "who makes what for whom" in my limited experience the similarities between the various products assembled by large off shore firms is all but nonexistant. The well built responsive iPads churned out by hundreds of thousands working in Foxconn plants are nothing likethe junkiy Chimei LCD monitors made by the same firm.

#89339 - 02/11/12 01:13 AM Re: "Under the covers..." [Re: jacket_fan]
Orangeman Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: jacket_fan
... I don't recall Outlaw proclaiming that any of their products are designed from the ground up by Outlaw...

I do. This is from the announcement that the 997 was being cancelled, and replaced by the 998:

"Given our experience with the Model 997 project, it is important to emphasize that our new flagship processor will NOT be derived from an existing platform. It will be an Outlaw exclusive design, built from the ground up to our own specifications and manufactured for us by a well respected consumer electronics manufacturer."

#89348 - 02/11/12 03:35 PM Re: "Under the covers..." [Re: Orangeman]
GaryB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
FWIW, here is a quote from "Peter's Processor Update" (10/01/10) where he first introduced the Model 978:

Quote:
This will be an “Outlaw Exclusive” product. It is designed by us, and is being developed in conjunction with experienced engineering teams. Further, it will be built in a factory we have selected after examining a number of potential manufacturers. This isn’t an “off the shelf” product shared with others. If you want a product with these features, you’ll have to buy it from us.

#89361 - 02/12/12 02:23 PM Re: "Under the covers..." [Re: renov8r]
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
Originally Posted By: renov8r
My contention is that there is so limited a set of offerings in the pre-pro category that it is all but impossible for there to be some firm cranking out "generic reference designs" ... Similarly if one was to speculate that perhaps Outlaw partnered with a firm like ATI to supply some schematics / prototypes for the 978 I would wonder if there would ever be anything "under the covers" to link the "heritage" of that firm's costly solution to the likely much more affordable 978...

While it can be fun to speculate on "who makes what for whom" in my limited experience the similarities between the various products assembled by large off shore firms is all but nonexistant.

renov8r:

I find your statements above almost bizarre given Outlaws own history which you appear to know little about. As an example here is the lineage of a previous Outlaw prepro the 950 as quoted from the 950 thread.

Originally Posted By: gonk
... Outlaw Audio and Eastech Manufacturing worked together to design the Model 950, with the understanding that Eastech could then offer the design as an OEM product for other companies once Outlaw has the 950 on the market. The Sherbourn PT-7000 and the Atlantic Tech P-2000 are both manufactured by Eastech under this agreement, and are sold through traditional retail. The list price for both is around $1400, with the differences due to the added cost of the retail channel and some different component quality requirements (although it has proven difficult to determine if the upgraded components offer an audible benefit). The chassis was also the basis for Fosgate Audionics' FAP-T1 pre/pro, with an additional component input, a composite video output for zone two, and a front LCD video screen added.

Now there are two Eastech's (possibly related). One in Malaysia (that OEM'ed the 1050, 950, 970 and 1070) and the other in Taiwan. The latter does manufacturing in China and is exactly the type of company you say doesn't exist. Note: I don't know if Eastech OEM'ed the 1050, 970 and 1070 to anyone else.

Going back to history for a bit. The 990 came from Inkel in Korea who owns Sherwood Newcastle. The 990 and Sherwood P-965 lines are extremely similar from the pre-pro perspective (as was the R-965 - Outlaw at one point sold the remaining R-965's). Inkel was also the partner on the failed 997 which had its own Newcastle equivalent the R-972 including the Trinnov.

A little bit of googling on Inkel found this:

Originally Posted By: Danny Tse on the Polk Forum
Sherwood's parent company, Korea's Inkel, is one of the world's biggest OEM for home audio components. Inkel has owned Sherwood since the mid 80s. They made amps/receivers for the likes of Denon, Outlaw Audio, Atlantic Technology, Boston Acoustics, etc. Sherwood's own components are quite good as well.
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

#89366 - 02/12/12 03:52 PM Re: "Under the covers..." [Re: 73Bruin]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

Perhaps I should have included the limiting condition of "HDCP Compliant HDMI pre-pro with room correction" to clarify that my recollection of what the 978 has been promised to be is signficantly different than pre-amps of the previous era.

I rather doubt that Inkel will be the manufacturing partner for the 978 and like GaryB I tend to think that the only way to get a 978 will be through Outlaw.

Page 10 of 13 < 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 121 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts