Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 12 of 13 < 1 2 10 11 12 13 >
Topic Options
#89379 - 02/13/12 02:13 PM Re: "Under the covers..." [Re: renov8r]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: renov8r
Yep every reciever that has any kind of line level out is really just a pre-pro in disguise, PLUS they throw in those magically rated amps. Wow you've really uncovered quite a conspiracy.

Bugatti is really just selling a "reference design" Miata with a very fancy faceplate, eh?

LOL. Someone said Denon didn't sell a pre-pro (not sure if it was you and I'm too lazy to go look). I provided an example of a unit that is for sale NOW, and it's also offering networking features which you feel are "not important" all at a price point that's likely to be less than the Outlaw product. They do have one thing in common though....both manufactured in China.

Your usage of misdirection and hyperbole simply shows the threadbare underpinnings of your position...whatever that may be...it seems to shift to all manner of things as you wiggle around the issue(s).

Let's confine ourselves to things that are factual, shall we?

1. Outlaw's pre-pro product is several YEARS late. First it was the 997...then the 998...then the 978. *yawn*
2. In the interim, the market has continued to mature and the 978 lacks some features that are common on similar gear available now at much lower price points.
3. Outlaw lacks any direct control over the production of the hardware or the software running on it. It is outsourcing both to "partners" located in China.
4. Outlaw hasn't been particularly open about the reasons for the delay.

That's pretty much all we "know" for now. The rest is all conjecture. I will say that I don't recognize the current "attitude" of Outlaw compared to what the company was like when I invested $4-5k in their equipment 7 years ago. Times change, I guess.

Best,

Edited by Ritz2 (02/13/12 02:42 PM)

#89381 - 02/13/12 04:58 PM Re: "Under the covers..." [Re: Ritz2]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

One more thing, renov8r, is it your position that this receiver from Denon (made by the same folks that manufacture the Marantz receivers being sold by Outlaw for use as pre-pros with their amps) are somehow "inferior" products? It sure appears that way. If that's the case, why would Outlaw market them to their customers? Are those just Miatas in Bugatti clothing too? smile

Best,

#89382 - 02/13/12 05:50 PM Re: "Under the covers..." [Re: Ritz2]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

Loc: Illinois
There have been precious few facts in far too long, that is why I created the thread -- so idle speculation which has become rampant will at least be in one place.

When it comes to audio quality I do beleive that the compromises that the marketing driven firms make do render their products sonically less neutral compared to the kinds of decisions made by firms that can cater to folks less concerned with the latest bells and blinking lights.

I guess there is too wide a gulf between people like me that do belive different products do have distinctive sound qualities and those that belive that the only think that matters is what sort of faceplate is affixed to a box.

#89383 - 02/13/12 05:51 PM Re: "Under the covers..." [Re: Ritz2]
GaryB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Originally Posted By: Ritz2
Let's confine ourselves to things that are factual, shall we?

1. Outlaw's pre-pro product is several YEARS late. First it was the 997...then the 998...then the 978. *yawn*
2. In the interim, the market has continued to mature and the 978 lacks some features that are common on similar gear available now at much lower price points.
3. Outlaw lacks any direct control over the production of the hardware or the software running on it. It is outsourcing both to "partners" located in China.
4. Outlaw hasn't been particularly open about the reasons for the delay.

That's pretty much all we "know" for now. The rest is all conjecture. I will say that I don't recognize the current "attitude" of Outlaw compared to what the company was like when I invested $4-5k in their equipment 7 years ago. Times change, I guess.

Not that it makes me happy to agree, nor does it mean that I've ruled out the 978 - I haven't, yet - but that pretty much nails it.

#89384 - 02/13/12 08:18 PM Re: "Under the covers..." [Re: GaryB]
H Stevens Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Rhode Island
Yep, that pretty much sums it up. Very sad....................

#89386 - 02/13/12 08:38 PM Re: "Under the covers..." [Re: renov8r]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Well, we are halfway through the first quarter and no word on the street yet. Conspiracy theories abound as to why we have not heard any news. Gonk has gone missing and PeterT and others are rumored to be learning to speak Mandarin. D&M holdings, ATI, Mcintosh and Sears are all rumored to be building the 978 in a hangar in area 51 south of the great wall. Can anyone at Outlaw provide some truth to the matter or should we continue to create our own alternate reality?

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#89387 - 02/13/12 08:46 PM Re: "Under the covers..." [Re: XenonMan]
GaryB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Well said. grin

I'm not holding my breath for a reply, however.

#89389 - 02/13/12 10:07 PM Re: "Under the covers..." [Re: GaryB]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

I'm not holding my breath either. For the record, seeing Outlaw falter brings no joy to me either. But sweeping things under the rug doesn't help anyone. I'm finding it hard to imagine how this thing is going to sell in sufficient quantities to make it financially feasible. That's the stark reality (at least from where I'm sitting) of the situation. Surely, Outlaw can find a way to offer value to its customers, but I just don't see it in the home theater processor arena. This one is a dollar short and a day late.

Best,

Edited by Ritz2 (02/13/12 10:26 PM)

#89396 - 02/14/12 10:27 AM Re: "Under the covers..." [Re: Ritz2]
Hank Offline
Desperado

Loc: Austin, Texas, USA
sigh...

#89398 - 02/14/12 11:18 AM Re: "Under the covers..." [Re: Hank]
rubbersoul Offline
Desperado

Loc: folsom, pa.
Wow. Some heavy breathing out there and I totally have BEEN having the same lack-luster feeling about any future Outlaw products that seem to be created on Disney's drawing boards.I
I have recently been speaking to Scott about a small problem I had with the 990 and he kindly help me out and solved my problem. I mentioned the 978 on how or what news he had about the it and the response was shall I say less than enthusiastic, or at least that's what I thought. I wanted to know if the 978 was being refitted perhaps to include Bluetooth and the response was negative. I just cannot figure out how Outlaw expects to kept the attention of even the most loyal customers.
Mind you I am very please with the performance of my 990/7700 combo however it would be nice to be excited about an upgrade. As mentioned there are many new processors out there that offer a lot more than what the 978 seems to be offering and the prices are in the same ballpark as what I expect Outlaw's 978 to be.
I think the 978 might be outdated before it even gets out of the gate competing against other processors for accolades that people want to hear and are looking for that in the market.
My friend just purchased the Integra DHC 80.3/DTA 70.1 combo a very impressive sounding couple. I was considering to pull the trigger on both of these pieces but the price of $4600 kepts me on the fence. Then I was toying with the idea of buying the processor alone ($2600) and adding a new amp sometime in the future but for financial reasons I will take a back seat on any new additions to my home theater.
Another reason. Maybe its my age and hearing loss since my younger days but I really appreciate the sound I get from my 990. I am just as wowed now as when I first purchased the Outlaw.
Sure I want the bells and whistles but at what cost? Besides, as stated before I like what I hear BUT the future of electronics is oh so tempting to taste.

Thanks for listening.
B&W 803D2’s HTM3S DS7's
HSU Subwoofer
Mitsubishi 6800 Projector
Da-Lite Screen,
Oppo BDP93
Comcast
PS Audio DSD
Stack Variac
Kill-O-Watt
Nakamichi cables Audio 8 cables
Air-Server
Mac-Mini
ROON

Page 12 of 13 < 1 2 10 11 12 13 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 178 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts