Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 21 of 70 < 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 69 70 >
Topic Options
#88723 - 12/11/11 12:07 AM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: XenonMan]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: XenonMan
I think your views on China and Chinese equipment is well known and I am sure many feel the same way. My point is that there is likely nothing to be done to forestall the onward march of cost conscious buyers towards lower priced equipment.

Do you honestly think the typical BestBuy/Walmart shopping lowest bidder consumer is even going to consider a niche player like Outlaw? Why would they? Outlaw CAN'T compete on price and they don't have the financial resources to stay ahead of the curve with new features (or even current features in this case). I'm not optimistic about their chances.

Best,

#88724 - 12/11/11 12:37 AM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: Ritz2]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
I agree with you that the outlook for the little guy is bleak at best. The typical BestBuy/Walmart shopper is not going to find Outlaw attractive because of the costs associated with high quality equipment. The situation demands a supply chain with the lowest cost which means China or some other lower wage supplier. Unfortunately the model is flawed in that as the low cost builders of this equipment make progress, they get higher wages and aspire to buy the stuff they have been building. The more afluent they become the fewer jobs they keep as the companies move to lower cost labor. It is a global economy and we can't stop it from moving past the old models.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#88734 - 12/12/11 01:11 AM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: XenonMan]
Paul J. Stiles Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mountain View, CA, USofA
Many Americans (and people of other nationalities) want their stuff (especially toys that frequently get replaced or upgraded) at the lowest possible price, regardless of where those toys come from or the harmful results on their own economies.

For instance, If I want to upgrade the motherboard in my computer, which I do every few years, it is pretty hard to find one NOT made in the people's republic. My TV and audio equipment, on the other hand, has been around for years. My speakers, turntable and power amps are USA made and are from the mid '80s. When I buy someting, I buy for long term satisfaction. Digital stuff gets updated a bit more frequently than my analog stuff. When I do buy something non-USA made, I do avoid the people's republic if at all possible, but don't mind buying something from another country that is truly friendly to the USA, if a domestic alternative is not available at or near what I can afford.

My present "pre-pro", for movies, not music, is a several year old Sony receiver that I bought used. It is 5.1 channels. I would like to upgrade some day, but I am in no rush.
I don't need the latest toy. If and when I do buy something to replace the Sony with, I might buy something new or maybe used.

When I do buy something that was made in the people's republic, I am not pleased with the fact that it came from there. I do try and make this happen as little as possible, though.

Everybody has to make their own choice in regards to purchases: what, when, why and from where. Of course, if I was rolling in money, buying USA made all the time would be a lot easier. For someone making very little, even most stuff made in the people's republic is too expensive. Decisions! Decisions!!

#88874 - 12/30/11 03:39 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: XenonMan]
tkntz Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: United States
Now that the year end (the last official targeted release date) is here, do you think we can get a new soft target for a release? Not all Outlaw followers frequent the Saloon, so it would be nice to see an official update.

#88877 - 12/30/11 06:51 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: tkntz]
PeterT Offline
Gunslinger

We've just concluded an extensive round of testing on the latest samples and Scott is going over to China on Jan 9 to spend a week with the build team there to address several software bugs that are standing in our way. He'll be back before Chinese New Year and then we'll have a better idea of where things stand at that time.

Peter

Edited by PeterT (12/30/11 06:51 PM)

#88878 - 12/30/11 07:08 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: PeterT]
GaryB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Thanks, Peter. I'm still hoping that the 978 will be worth the wait.

#88880 - 12/30/11 07:40 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: GaryB]
legivens Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Euless, Texas, USA
Thanks from me also Peter.... I purchased the SR5005 to use for now, but still await the 978...
Outlaw Model 7900
Outlaw Model 5000 (for the ceiling speakers)
Marantz AV7702 MK2
Oppo BDP-105D
Axiom M80's, GoldenEar Super XXL, GoldenEar Aon 3's (sides and rears), GoldenEar HTR 7000's (in-ceiling for Atmos/DTS:X)
Outlaw LFM1-Plus and EX
Directv HD DVR
2 HD Monster Power centers
PS3
Harmony One

#88883 - 12/30/11 08:24 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: legivens]
tkntz Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: United States
Thank you Peter. I'll look forward to the update.

#88884 - 12/30/11 08:57 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: tkntz]
Hank Offline
Desperado

Loc: Austin, Texas, USA
Thanks Peter - so the week after CES you'll have an estimate on when the software (HDMI?) bugs may be worked out.

#88887 - 12/31/11 09:31 AM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: Hank]
PeterT Offline
Gunslinger

Actually Hank, we have had the factory "estimates" all along, but have not passed them on publicly. Things always go slower than optimistic engineers claim. (I think you have some experience in this area if I remember correctly) Scott will return with a "hit list" and produce his own estimate based upon what he encounters over there. We can provide a general ideas, but often those estimates are interpreted as hard commitments and then if we miss everyone gets upset, including us.

Scott's trip is an effort to help speed things up. In addition, there is often a language issue where meanings of modifications become misunderstood. Scott's mission will be prioritize the bugs in order of importance in an effort to accelerate the entire process.

This is very hard stuff and the technology companies keep moving the goal posts. Our own goal is to deliver a product that does not need constant updates over a year or more.

Page 21 of 70 < 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 69 70 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts