Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#8863 - 08/09/05 10:06 PM Help! Large room- 1070 rated power concern
Scot Campbell Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Hi Guys!
I have a large room where I am installing my newly upgraded Home Theater, about 14 X 30 with ceilings that soar up to 20 feet. Also, there is only a half wall that separates this room from the kitchen AND it opens up into the family room as well...thousands of cubic feet.

I've heard so many good things about Outlaw on this forum that I've pre-ordered the model 1070. However, now I'm concerned that the 65W per channel will be enough to fill the room. Running Boston Vr-12 and VR3 fronts and an SVS subwoofer.

Anybody out there with a large volume of air like mine and any experience with Outlaw or other units? Power recommendations would be welcome. confused

#8864 - 08/09/05 10:16 PM Re: Help! Large room- 1070 rated power concern
Ritz Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ/Beijing
Yeah, that does seem like you might be pushing things for a room of those dimensions. My listening room is a bit bigger and I'm pretty happy with the 990/755 combo, but that's a LOT more power than 65wpc (more like 300wpc into the Magnepans).

If it's not up to the task, you can always send it back.

Cheers,

#8865 - 08/10/05 12:06 AM Re: Help! Large room- 1070 rated power concern
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I don't know if Pat Sklenar is getting by the forum very often these days, but he ran Boston Acoustics speakers similar to yours on an Outlaw Model 1050 and may have some useful insight. I successfully drove larger and less efficient Paradigms with my Model 1050 (and without a sub in the system), but that was a smaller space than yours.

#8866 - 08/10/05 11:04 AM Re: Help! Large room- 1070 rated power concern
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
The acoustic energy put into the space is a combination of the electrical signal power delivered and the sensitivity/efficiency of the loudspeakers. Providing up to 65 watts per channel to 93dB @ one watt speakers (VR3 specs) is more acoustic energy than my 770 pushing 200+ watts into my speakers that are about 87dB @ one watt. Are you contemplating a change to less sensitive/efficient speakers?

Second, are you trying to achieve explosion-like realism within only a limited area of the entire space, such as a seating area for movie viewing, plus pleasant music listening levels in adjacent areas or near rock-concert levels throughout the entire space?

Third, will the overall space be very “live” in the sense of very little acoustic absorption, average, or “dead” in the sense that acoustic energy is nearly instantaneously “swallowed up” by lots of cushy furniture and the prolific hanging of drapery?

Fourth, will your budget support more than a receiver at this time? If you are certainly going to stick with the receiver route, the 1070 will do very well compared to the competition. If your situation really requires an additional 4dB to 6dB of acoustic energy from the same speakers, you’ll likely have to step into separates with at least 200 watts per channel and perhaps add a second or change to a larger subwoofer.

#8867 - 08/10/05 02:13 PM Re: Help! Large room- 1070 rated power concern
Scot Campbell Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Thank you for the replies gunslingers!
You are right, I am only trying to achieve realism within the space that comprises my viewing area. Getting music throughout the space is not an issue, the receiver is strictly for movies and TV, and so I'm not comfortable doubling the budget.

I am not comtemplating a change in speakers, I am very happy with the Boston sound, especially in my VR-12 center channel (IMO one of the finest ever made). And they should match up well sonically with the 1070, as it appears it may share some lineage with the Boston receivers that have just hit the market. I've seen post that claim the Boston shares many of the Sherwood-Newcastle components. Logically, then, the Outlaw should be a perfect marriage with my Boston speakers.

Unfortunately, here in Vegas there aren't any places where you can demo anything other that Pioneer, Yamaha and Denon - so my only guidance is the great people out there like you guys. Thanks again!

#8868 - 08/10/05 09:49 PM Re: Help! Large room- 1070 rated power concern
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
Scot, I think you might want to keep what you have and just add more speakers by going from 5.1 to 7.1. That will help in eliminating any dead spots in your HT.

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

Who's Online
0 registered (), 79 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM