Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 9 10 >
Topic Options
#87536 - 08/03/11 02:55 PM Re: How about the 998? [Re: PeterT]
skiman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Golden. Colorado
Originally Posted By: PeterT
Our pulling the plug on the original 998 was the most painful decision we ever made. We had thousands on the "very interested' 'list. Yet had we gone ahead we would have suffered the same fate that the Newcastle 972 AVR has encountered. It would have been a nightmare for you and us.

Peter

Don't you mean the 'original 997'?

As you said, the 998 has been put on hold, but has not had the 'plug pulled', correct?

#87538 - 08/03/11 02:59 PM Re: How about the 998? [Re: skiman]
PeterT Offline
Gunslinger

Good catch.

Sorry about that.

Peter

#87666 - 08/22/11 03:25 PM Re: How about the 998? [Re: PeterT]
rangler Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: northeastern US
PeterT,

Can you confirm if Trinnov room correction is still planned as a feature of the on hold 998? I understand there are no gaurantees but is it still an intention? Thank you.

Marantz SR6006 in 7.1 configuration
Visio XVT553SV
Oppo Digital BDP-83 blu-ray
aperion 533-VAC, 532 L/R, 534-SS surround and rears, S10 sub-woofer
scientific atlanta 8300HD
harmony 900 remote

#87670 - 08/23/11 06:47 AM Re: How about the 998? [Re: rangler]
PeterT Offline
Gunslinger

Concerning Trinnov, we would certainly like to do it but there are now some uncertainties.
First the implementation of Trinnov in the Newcastle 972 was less than optimal(,along with several other aspects of that receiver) and a lot of work would have to be done to get it up to our standards.
Second,the ADA Trinnov product which is great and a very sophisticated implementation is extremely expensive due to several factors, some of which are costly licensing and NRE fees.

The above could put Trinnov out of reach. It really depends if other licensees can come on board to help lower overall development costs. So while we really like this system, the cost benefit/ratio might not be justified in the 998. We keep looking at this situation and have made no final decision. However we wanted you to know just what challenges we presently face

Our total focus now is to complete the 978 and then we will again visit the Trinnov situation.

#87671 - 08/23/11 11:39 AM Re: How about the 998? [Re: rmilewsk]
EEman Offline
Desperado

Loc: Canton, MI
Getting back to the original question:

Originally Posted By: rmilewsk
Should we continue waiting for the 998?

I think Peter's latest post has bumped me into the "no" category. Even if there is a business case for the 998 it sounds like a multi-year development effort to me.

#87672 - 08/23/11 12:18 PM Re: How about the 998? [Re: PeterT]
rangler Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: northeastern US
Concerning Trinnov, we would certainly like to do it but there are now some uncertainties.
First the implementation of Trinnov in the Newcastle 972 was less than optimal(,along with several other aspects of that receiver) and a lot of work would have to be done to get it up to our standards.
Second,the ADA Trinnov product which is great and a very sophisticated implementation is extremely expensive due to several factors, some of which are costly licensing and NRE fees.

The above could put Trinnov out of reach. It really depends if other licensees can come on board to help lower overall development costs. So while we really like this system, the cost benefit/ratio might not be justified in the 998. We keep looking at this situation and have made no final decision. However we wanted you to know just what challenges we presently face

Our total focus now is to complete the 978 and then we will again visit the Trinnov situation.

Thanks for the update.

Marantz SR6006 in 7.1 configuration
Visio XVT553SV
Oppo Digital BDP-83 blu-ray
aperion 533-VAC, 532 L/R, 534-SS surround and rears, S10 sub-woofer
scientific atlanta 8300HD
harmony 900 remote

#87673 - 08/23/11 12:23 PM Re: How about the 998? [Re: rangler]
tkntz Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: United States
This solidifies my focus on the 978. I believe it will have all I need. I was intrigued by Trinnov, but without it, I'm not sure what the 998 would offer me. I had debated waiting for Trinnov given my odd room configuration, but if the 998 may not even have Trinnov, I'm not sure it would make sense for me to wait any longer.

#87677 - 08/23/11 05:16 PM Re: How about the 998? [Re: tkntz]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
I wonder if it would be possible for a company like Outlaw to bring out a stand alone version of Trinnov like the old ICBM. Make it HDMI and analog compatible and lots of people would buy one just to see it work on their system. I had thought a while back of getting a used r-972 to try out Trinnov. I would have output my Onkyo 886 to the r-972 input and fed 7 channels out. It could have gotten confusing but it would have been interesting to try.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#87778 - 09/17/11 09:09 PM Re: How about the 998? [Re: PeterT]
southpark Offline
Gunslinger

I waited (and waited and waited) only because of Trinnov. Without it Outlaw sort of becomes the bang for the buck answer again. Not that that is a bad thing. But you were really poised to be a leader, not a "quality for lower price alternative".

That said, I really appreciate the response. As I've mentioned in month past I'm guessing the programming just couldn't come together. Whatever the exact reasons, things are what they are. And I appreciate the realities of the Trinnov costs. Since I really like Outlaw and their business model I will continue to "attempt" to offer suggestions.

My pitch to Trinnov, and any other license holders, is have them analyze how many units they sell at (what is it, $15,000?) and to think long and hard whether they would make more money as a volume proposition. For as stand-alone correction device $999.00 strikes me as cut-off where you could sell them all week long and Sundays too.

Of course, this may be simply unrealistic and an impossibility. If within reach, however, be the first to market this and you could really be on to something. To my ear, the thing that sets today's mid to high end AVR's and processors apart is room correction. Sell this idea and a stand alone "one set of correction algorithms to rule them all" solution could sell well. Then again, it took years for the market to figure out you needed high-def input for a high-def TV to look better than standard def so there is always risk!

Good luck and get that damn 978 out NOW before my wife forces my hand and I find myself in the arms of Integra/Onkyo, or Marantz!

#87845 - 09/27/11 12:39 AM Re: How about the 998? [Re: PeterT]
rmilewsk Offline
Gunslinger

If I am to be honest, I think without trinnov there is no point in releasing the 998. I doubt it will have anything of significant value over the 978. You might as well just move on to the 1198 (or whatever your next major number will be) and to your next major processor release. Calling the 998 an enhanced version of the 978 will sound like a missed boat. Just dump it and move on to your next great thing. At least then we won't be waiting another 5 years for a non existent processor.

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 9 10 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 129 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts