Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#8766 - 05/04/05 11:52 PM ADD THE 990 YEA OR NAY
E'pin Sen Ob Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
O.k. outlaws tell me what you think.

The 990 "TO BE OR NOT TO BE" a question unto which I have pondered endlessly for the past several days.
So should I add the 990 or burn the place to the ground.

Here the list of STUFF

1 VPL HS-20 sony lcd front projector.
2 DVPNS 985 dvd player W/HDMI video upconversion too 720p.
3 Rotel RB976 amp.
4 Yamha RXV 2500 (I won for free in a Yamaha sales contest) used as a processor and power the surrounds.
5 Stewart 110 Firehawk W/velux coated frame.
6 Paradigmn reference studio 100 v3's for L and R channels.
7 Paradigmn ref. 40 v3's. 3 pairs in all (a pair) for the center channel and a pair each for the rear and surrounds.
8 Paradigmn Servo 15's (2 in all) for subs.
9 Haropa wall mount brackets for the center pair of 40's and home made silica sand weighted concrete stands for all the surrounds.
9 Audioquest king cobra sub kit, opti link, HDMI and interconnects (also all free thanks to ADQ rep.)
10 DIY cat 5 speaker cables.
11 DIY sonic boom anti-resonator, defender, deflector reverberation absorber panels (thanks home depot, $28 each).
12 DIY soak up the boom in the room bass traps (Ah the depot, $30 each).

So does the 990 have a home YEA of NAY?

MY HOME THEATER PICTURES http://community.webshots.com/user/bonesnipe

#8767 - 05/05/05 12:22 AM Re: ADD THE 990 YEA OR NAY
DNicely1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lincoln Park, Mi USA
Nice set up. Are you unhappy with The Yamaha? From what I've read the Yamaha only does 5.1, no DD es or DTS es, or pro logic 11x. Is this worth the upgrade to you? I had a Yamaha 5450( or something like that)along with the Rotel RB976(still have that). I replaced it with the 950/750 and haven't looked back.I am pondering the 990 myself.while your receiver is nicer than the one I had,there was a big differnce to me in seperation of channels with the 950.I would say with the thirty day return policy........YEA

#8768 - 05/05/05 12:42 AM Re: ADD THE 990 YEA OR NAY
E'pin Sen Ob Offline
Gunslinger

Dnicely1, thanks for the input. And yes I do like my Yamaha quite a bit. It's pretty hard to beat free gear. The 2500 is actually a 7.1 rec. and has dolby prologic II, DTS ES and of course Dolby Digital EX. However, I want seperates for all the obvious benefits that come with them. I am so torn right now. I may even step into a much larger outlaw amp as well I just don't know. How about the dynamic feel of the 750 is it enough for you. I really want to make my speakers sound as if they have breath and are not just pumping air you know what I mean. Do you get that punch in the lows and the slap daddy in the mids. A kind of real fast powerfully charged response from your speakers. Describe how your speakers respond if you could please.

#8769 - 05/05/05 07:40 AM Re: ADD THE 990 YEA OR NAY
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I'm driving v2 Paradigm References with a combination of Outlaw M200's and an older Outlaw Model 750 (5x165), and I've found the combination to work very well. I think a Model 770 would be well suited to your Studio 100's and Studio 40's.

#8770 - 05/05/05 11:52 AM Re: ADD THE 990 YEA OR NAY
E'pin Sen Ob Offline
Gunslinger

Gonk, liked your web site loved your baby photos. Congrats on the young one she is simply adorable.

I am interested in how the axioms you have intergrated in to your rear surrounds match up with the paradigmn speakers . Do you prefer one over the other .

Thanks for the input on which amp to go with.

#8771 - 05/05/05 11:57 AM Re: ADD THE 990 YEA OR NAY
gonk Offline
Desperado

Thanks - we're quite fond of her. smile

I think the Axiom M3ti's are not quite on par with the Paradigm References. They blend in smoothly (due in part to both brands being Canadian, I believe), but the M3ti's are not as able as the ADP's. Unfortunately, I just can't fit the ADP's onto the side walls. As compromises go, though, the Axioms have been very successful.

#8772 - 05/05/05 12:29 PM Re: ADD THE 990 YEA OR NAY
E'pin Sen Ob Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks again gonk . I have been hearing really good things about the axiom speaker brand but have never had the chance to demo them myself . I think they are a real stand up company from what I have been able to gather on the web .

Paradigmn though is my first true love . My first spks . were mk3 11se towers . I bought them about about 13 years ago and never looked back . Still have them in mint condition playing on a second system .

Have you test drove the signature line yet . I am lucky enough to work for a dealer who carries the signature line . I must say they are quiet nice as they expand on all the strengths of of the ref. series . I would love to trade in my 100's for a set of sig. 8's .

#8773 - 05/05/05 01:06 PM Re: ADD THE 990 YEA OR NAY
gonk Offline
Desperado

I think Axiom is an impressive brand, and if the M3ti is any indication they are easily comparable to Paradigm's Monitor series - the bigger speakers (M60 and M80) may even top the Monitor line. As with Paradigm, of course, you first need to be someone who likes the particular character of a Canadian speaker design.

I haven't heard the Signatures - I don't know if my Paradigm dealer even has any in the showroom (their big Paradigm demo has historically been a set of Studio/100's in a two-channel setup, although I did get them to set up a Studio/60 demo for me when I bought mine a few years back). They look really impressive.

#8774 - 05/05/05 04:05 PM Re: ADD THE 990 YEA OR NAY
E'pin Sen Ob Offline
Gunslinger

Sig 8's are monsters to be sure . It takes two to carry safely . I think I will try to find an Axiom demo somewhere in town . I do like the diffused sound of Paradigmn great for all types of entertainment .

Who's Online
0 registered (), 125 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM