Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 45 of 70 < 1 2 43 44 45 46 47 69 70 >
Topic Options
#90122 - 04/20/12 01:13 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: Hank]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: Hank
Boys, what I see here are a bunch of guys wanting to see the 978 released and bought by customers who will then report on performance and any "bugs". After the evaluations are in and performance is good and bugs are nonexistant or minimal, then this bunch will order 978'. The problem with this is that the 'customers' are US. There's no one out there in mass consumer land who will buy a 978 - they don't know that Outlaw Audio exists. It is US who will have to buy and experience the 978's performance and report back here. If you are too leery to buy and want to sit and wait while others test the 978 for you, I think that's a flawed process. Be a bit braver.

It's not about being brave. It's about being smart. As a customer, I don't want to pay for the "privilege" of debugging a consumer electronics product. I don't have the time or the energy. That goes for both Outlaw and Emotiva.

Best,

#90124 - 04/20/12 02:54 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: Hank]
jam Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Montreal, QC, Canada
Boys, what I see here are a bunch of guys wanting to see the 978 released and bought by customers who will then report on performance and any "bugs". After the evaluations are in and performance is good and bugs are nonexistant or minimal, then this bunch will order 978'. The problem with this is that the 'customers' are US. There's no one out there in mass consumer land who will buy a 978 - they don't know that Outlaw Audio exists. It is US who will have to buy and experience the 978's performance and report back here. If you are too leery to buy and want to sit and wait while others test the 978 for you, I think that's a flawed process. Be a bit braver.

Hank, you've forgotten about us Canadian boys north of the 45th parallel eh! grin BTW, North America also includes Mexico and if you check on the Outlaw's shopping cart, they ship to Mexico too.

As for reviews, I'm also interested in what the professional reviewers have to say and not only on the opinions of the buyers. I think that websites such as Audioholics and Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity will probably come out with reviews in a fairly timely manner, specially if the Outlaws send them early evaluation units. When buying gear, I like to take into consideration objective test measurements, not only subjective impressions and these two websites performs test measurements. I also wouldn't be surprised if Kalman Rubinson from Stereophile were to some day review the 978 or the XMC-1 it in his Music in the Round column. Kalman has a strong interest for reviewing more affordably priced multi-channel AV processors and receivers that include digital room correction; he's also very active on the AV Science Forum | AMPs, Receivers, and Processors Threads.

Edited by jam (04/20/12 03:06 PM)

#90125 - 04/20/12 03:22 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: jam]
AusTexRocker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, Texas

Hank, you've forgotten about us Canadian boys north of the 45th parallel eh! grin BTW, North America also includes Mexico and if you check on the Outlaw's shopping cart, they ship to Mexico too.

Much repect to our neighbors both north and south. In fact if the weather does not change in Texas, I would be proud to become a Canadian. If I am not mistaken, Hank meant the customers are US as in we the people on this forum and not USA.

I've found Kal's reviews to be honest and informative. It would be good to read what he thinks if he reviews the 978.

Bedroom-Outlaw RR2150, Rotel RCD 1072, Dana Audio model 1

Blue Jeans connection on both

#90126 - 04/20/12 03:31 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: Ritz2]
jam Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: Ritz2
It's not about being brave. It's about being smart. As a customer, I don't want to pay for the "privilege" of debugging a consumer electronics product. I don't have the time or the energy. That goes for both Outlaw and Emotiva.

A wise thought and approach although a lot of outlaws that have been waiting for way too long may not be able to contend themselves and pull the trigger early. Well, there's always the 30 day money back guarantee...

#90127 - 04/20/12 03:43 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: AusTexRocker]
jam Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: AusTexRocker

If I am not mistaken, Hank meant the customers are US as in we the people on this forum and not USA.

Doggone it, I re-read Hank's message and you're correct AusTexRocker. Thanks for pointing that out to me.
Apologies for my misunderstanding of your post Hank. blush

#90128 - 04/20/12 04:34 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: Hank]
jam Offline
Gunslinger

The problem with this is that the 'customers' are US. There's no one out there in mass consumer land who will buy a 978 - they don't know that Outlaw Audio exists. It is US who will have to buy and experience the 978's performance and report back here. If you are too leery to buy and want to sit and wait while others test the 978 for you, I think that's a flawed process. Be a bit braver.

Take 2 Hank blush.
Once the 978 ships and some folks here buy the unit, we don't only have to report back here or merely rely on the resources available on this Outlaw forum. At that point, we should also open up an "Outlaw Audio 978 AV Processor Official Thread" on the AV Science Forum | AMPs, Receivers, and Processors Threads. This will serve two purposes. First, it will help to make this Outlaw 978 processor better known to many more folks who don't know much about, it if anything at all. And second, it will bring in more expertize from a lot of experienced folks over at the AV Science forums, even if those people haven't acquired the unit or are waiting to see how things turn out, they can nonetheless make valuable contributions in terms of troubleshooting the unit by making test scenario suggestions.

I hope that Outlaw is also preparing to send out evaluation units to professional reviewers as I've mentioned in my previous post (Audioholics, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, Kalman at Stereophile, etc.). If the 978 turns out as good as Outlaw claims, those professional reviews will help tremendously to build up the 978's notoriety. Are you reading this Outlaw! It's time to walk the talk.

#90129 - 04/20/12 06:43 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: jam]
S. Sharkey Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: jam

As for reviews, I'm also interested in what the professional reviewers have to say and not only on the opinions of the buyers. I think that websites such as Audioholics and Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity will probably come out with reviews in a fairly timely manner, specially if the Outlaws send them early evaluation units. When buying gear, I like to take into consideration objective test measurements, not only subjective impressions and these two websites performs test measurements. I also wouldn't be surprised if Kalman Rubinson from Stereophile were to some day review the 978 or the XMC-1 it in his Music in the Round column. Kalman has a strong interest for reviewing more affordably priced multi-channel AV processors and receivers that include digital room correction; he's also very active on the AV Science Forum | AMPs, Receivers, and Processors Threads.

On the professional reviews, I'd like to agree with you, but I'm not so sure. It was over a year before the UMC by Emotiva was "professionally" reviewed, by Audioholics. In my opinion, they gave a rose colored glasses review since the thing was still pretty buggy at that point, and bugging customers to no end in some cases.

For myself, I'm looking for stable operation and better-than-avr SQ, with an excellent analog stage. But I won't be in a position to buy for about a year, so things will most likely be bug free by then.

I admit to not being totally familiar with Outlaw's pre-pro history. Have their models been still buggy after 1 1/2 years as Emotiva's latest was? We seem to be lumping the two companies together as if their track record is exactly the same. Is it? I know I see a far lower percentage of threads complaining about defects here than at Emotiva's forum.

#90131 - 04/20/12 07:59 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: S. Sharkey]
jam Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: S. Sharkey

On the professional reviews, I'd like to agree with you, but I'm not so sure. It was over a year before the UMC by Emotiva was "professionally" reviewed, by Audioholics. In my opinion, they gave a rose colored glasses review since the thing was still pretty buggy at that point, and bugging customers to no end in some cases.

As I said in my post, I'm interested in the pro reviews for the test measurements. All reviews have to be looked at with a certain level of criticism and sometimes downright skepticism as many pro reviewers often have conflicts of interest by the mere fact that the producers advertize on their websites and/or publications. The areas where professional reviews often fail is in the stability and reliability of the reviewed product. Because of review time constraints and the infeasibility of properly testing all the possible permutations in using a complex product, a reviewer cannot realistically find out about all the little bugs and stability issues unless they're really major and obvious, which in most cases they'll report back. That's when one has to resort to reading the forums to see what the buyers have to report on their experiences using the product.

For myself, I'm looking for stable operation and better-than-avr SQ, with an excellent analog stage. But I won't be in a position to buy for about a year, so things will most likely be bug free by then.

Same here although I'd like to get much higher than AVR SQ. I hope the 978 can be better than an Integra DHC-80.3 in terms of SQ, which I believe is feasible considering that the 978 will have a far less complex design and feature set. I'm hoping that it could turn out to be the "Oppo BDP-95" of the AV processor market. A guy can dream, can't he? OK, so many I'm dreaming in Technicolor. wink

I admit to not being totally familiar with Outlaw's pre-pro history. Have their models been still buggy after 1 1/2 years as Emotiva's latest was? We seem to be lumping the two companies together as if their track record is exactly the same. Is it? I know I see a far lower percentage of threads complaining about defects here than at Emotiva's forum.

I can't speak to those issues as I have no personal experience with either Outlaw or Emotiva products and I haven't been following their reliability history. From my observations and detached perspective, I don't think that most folks around here are lumping the two companies together with respect to product stability.

#90132 - 04/20/12 09:29 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: jam]
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
Originally Posted By: jam
Same here although I'd like to get much higher than AVR SQ. I hope the 978 can be better than an Integra DHC-80.3 in terms of SQ, which I believe is feasible considering that the 978 will have a far less complex design and feature set. I'm hoping that it could turn out to be the "Oppo BDP-95" of the AV processor market. A guy can dream, can't he? OK, so many I'm dreaming in Technicolor. wink

If your dream is for Oppo BDP-95 sound and picture processing quality, then, unfortunately, I believe you are going to be disappointed. From everything I have seen (and it would be great to be wrong), the BDP-95 has better Sabre DACs and a better video processing chipset than the 978 will have. If you look at it. The price difference between the 93 and 95 is 1/3 the total expected cost of the 978.
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

#90134 - 04/21/12 01:01 AM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: 73Bruin]
beyond 1000 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
I believe that the 978 will be a formidable unit in sound and picture quality but it will not be an Oppo 95 as 73Bruin said above. The Oppo BD-95 was reviewed and was found to have Sabre chipsets on par with units costing thousands more. It is very stable and has virtually no distortion. That unit alone costs 1k. This should not detract from the 978 as a processor.

Professional reviewers need time with the units to test out all bugs or whatnot and they seldom get the unit in their possession long enough to make a complete and tru-telling analysis. You will need several reviewers and would be owners like us to to a longer term analysis and report.

Page 45 of 70 < 1 2 43 44 45 46 47 69 70 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 133 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts