Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 41 of 70 < 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 69 70 >
Topic Options
#90018 - 04/11/12 03:10 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: beyond 1000]
04rex Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Anybody know if they will have a iPod dock or soemthing with this?

#90019 - 04/11/12 03:46 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: 04rex]
Cadboy64 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Near Cleveland, OH
iPod connectivity will likely be included, but I would be surprised if they had an Outlaw branded dock available. With their partnership with Marantz it would be more likely they would resell one of their docks.

I have a Marantz SR6003 AVR. It has an MP3 input but no iPod connection built in. I looked at the docks they sell, but found something I liked better. The Cambridge Audio iD100. It is strictly a digital dock, meaning it sends the raw digital bitstream from the iPod(bypassing its internal DAC)directly to the digital input of the Marantz AVR via either Coax or optical. I have loaded a few CDs into iTunes and loaded those on my iPod Touch, and played it through the Cambridge dock. I could not detect any obvious difference between direct CD playback and the iPod connection.
Streaming Pandora via WI-FI this way sounds surprisingly good as well.

#90020 - 04/11/12 04:22 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: Cadboy64]
04rex Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: Cadboy64
iPod connectivity will likely be included, but I would be surprised if they had an Outlaw branded dock available. With their partnership with Marantz it would be more likely they would resell one of their docks.

I have a Marantz SR6003 AVR. It has an MP3 input but no iPod connection built in. I looked at the docks they sell, but found something I liked better. The Cambridge Audio iD100. It is strictly a digital dock, meaning it sends the raw digital bitstream from the iPod(bypassing its internal DAC)directly to the digital input of the Marantz AVR via either Coax or optical. I have loaded a few CDs into iTunes and loaded those on my iPod Touch, and played it through the Cambridge dock. I could not detect any obvious difference between direct CD playback and the iPod connection.
Streaming Pandora via WI-FI this way sounds surprisingly good as well.

Ok, so there are docks that you can use to connect to any receiver or Pre/Pro? I thought most or all were specific to that company with their own special conenctors. (i.e Yamaha, Denon, Marantz etc)

#90021 - 04/11/12 06:41 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: 04rex]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
DYNEX makes a really cheap dock that fits all of the older iPods. You can get them on ebay or Amazon for like $20. They even come with a remote which controls the iPod when in the dock. I have several and like how they function. They have an analog output jack to RCA connector which goes into almost all analog inputs. The only drawback is that the signal from the iPod is less and you have to turn the volume up more. You can also use the 3.5 mm jack-RCA cable to feed a processor directly from the earphone output to a tape input connection.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#90034 - 04/12/12 09:35 AM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: XenonMan]
Cadboy64 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Near Cleveland, OH
Originally Posted By: XenonMan
DYNEX makes a really cheap dock that fits all of the older iPods. You can get them on ebay or Amazon for like $20. They even come with a remote which controls the iPod when in the dock. I have several and like how they function. They have an analog output jack to RCA connector which goes into almost all analog inputs. The only drawback is that the signal from the iPod is less and you have to turn the volume up more. You can also use the 3.5 mm jack-RCA cable to feed a processor directly from the earphone output to a tape input connection.

As XenonMan stated^^^ Just a simple RCA hookup for most docks. A dedicated iPod connector is another option like my cheapo Pioneer receiver has. I can plug my iPod directly to the supplied cable which plugs into a socket on the front of the receiver. I can use the remote included with the Pioneer to control the iPod, but is limited in functionality.

#90035 - 04/12/12 10:24 AM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: Cadboy64]
Hank Offline
Desperado

Loc: Austin, Texas, USA
Quote:
Anybody know if they will have a iPod dock
Gosh, I hope not! I am not an Apple fan-boy (not that you are) and I like competition, so will buy another brand of whatever product Apple sells. Apple Marketing, as well as Bose, is genius. I just don't like their near-monopoly.
I know, I'm in the tiny minority. wink

#90044 - 04/13/12 03:01 AM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: Hank]
beyond 1000 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
It doesn't need an I-Pod dock. Most people listen to their I-Pods outdoors and in the gym where they can concentrate on their music and not the workout. I don't think Outlaw is going for Joe Sixpack.

#90054 - 04/14/12 03:12 AM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: XenonMan]
akiddoc Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oakland, CA
Those $20 docks are analog out - they use the horrible DAC from the iPod. The digital out docks allow processing by the DAC in your pre-pro or by an outboard DAC. Wadia was the first to market such a dock. The current models are the 170i and the 171i. They aren't cheap. Believe it or not, you can get CD like sound out of an iPod or iPhone using these digital out devices. http://www.wadia.com/products/transports/

Edited by akiddoc (04/14/12 03:15 AM)
Antique Sound Lab AV-25 (three)
Magnepan 1.6 (Stereo Unlimited mod) LR
Magnepan MC1 surrounds
Opera (mod) center
AMC subwoofer (mod)
Panasonic 65VT50

#90055 - 04/14/12 04:35 AM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: akiddoc]
jam Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Montreal, QC, Canada
Originally Posted By: akiddoc
Those $20 docks are analog out - they use the horrible DAC from the iPod. The digital out docks allow processing by the DAC in your pre-pro or by an outboard DAC. Wadia was the first to market such a dock. The current models are the 170i and the 171i. They aren't cheap. Believe it or not, you can get CD like sound out of an iPod or iPhone using these digital out devices. http://www.wadia.com/products/transports/

Yeah OK, you can get CD quality out from an iPod through the digital out from the dock but to do so you need to use a lossless codec like FLAC, ALAC, etc. Any lossless codec will give you about 50% compression. Just how much lossless music can you fit onto a little 32GB or 64GB after all the apps most people install on their iPod or iPhone. Most audiophiles even with a relatively small music collection would only be able to fit a small percentage of their collection. Most audiophiles that are looking into non-optical media players are considering using either HTPCs, SANs, or media players with large built-in hard drives and not storage deficient portable devices one's going to end up loosing some night at the bar.

#90056 - 04/14/12 08:37 AM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: jam]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
The convenience of a dock is what makes them attractive. I would not spend big $$$ on a dock. It charges my iPods an lets me access the music at the same time.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

Page 41 of 70 < 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 69 70 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 132 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts