Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#884 - 01/25/02 01:59 PM Re: Question all Outlaws !
charlie Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott:
In order for your sub to be active during stereo playback, your main speakers must be set to "Small". A "Large" Setting indicates that they have a flat frequency response to 20 Hz, and do not require an additional sub.

OK - seems reasonable. What about Dolby ProLogic sound tracks? I have 'large' speakers (builtins) all around except 'center' and to tell the truth I kinda expected to get some output from the LFE on non DD surround material, but no dice.

Is this due to the way prologic is encoded into a stereo signal, maybe no bass is sent to center anyway, or..... ?

The builtins are generating useful output down to about 17 hz, so large seems correct.

I thought it would be really cool if the 1050 could have an output activated threshold, such that if the front amps got close to clipping it could route bass to LFE in an attempt to stave of headroom exhaustion, but that would be a lot in a $500 receiver, plus tough to configure without a GUI.

Charlie

#885 - 01/26/02 07:20 AM Re: Question all Outlaws !
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Just a guess, but I doubt seriously that the center channel is generally sent THAT much deep info. I've never noticed but I have all small speakers so hard to say since my sub is active most of the time.

#886 - 01/26/02 11:26 PM Re: Question all Outlaws !
Hi4head Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lexington, NC
Jay-1;

I'm not familiar with your Carver. I do question the need to have a speaker level hook-up with your primary speaker wire AND the RCA LFE connection (if I understand how you have it wired correctly, you've connect both to your sub). With my Def Tech sub, I am only using the LFE.

As Scott pointed out, you need to have your speaker configuration set to "small". If you don't, the only time that you'll get anything out of your sub is when the .1 channel is present as is 5.1 or 6.1 movies.

You also need to set the crossover point on the 1050. Note that in practical terms, switching to "small" sends the information to the sub that is below the selected point and sends everything above the selected crossover point to the other speakers. If you have relatively full-range speakers, then you may want to select the 60 or 80 Hz setting. Having the crossover at the low end helps in not being able to locate the the sub; it also gives your main speakers an easier time since they no longer need to try to hit the deep base notes.

You may also have a variable crossover within your sub. If you only use the LFE connection, then you probably want to set the sub's crossover to its highest setting.

With my set-up, my sub kicks in when I'm playing 2-channel music, movies and television through my VCR, and movies from the DVD.

Mine is really a pretty simple setup:
-Normal speaker wire from the 1050 to the speakers (but not to the sub).
-LFE wire from the 1050 to the sub (with a Y splitter at the sub to feed the left an right channels).
-Set all speakers to "small" on the 1050's speaker configuration.
-Set the 1050's bass management crossover to 60Hz.

That's it.

What type of speakers are you using, full-range towers, smaller bookshelves, or itty-bitty ones designed for sub-sat systems? Someone might have the same thing and provide additional guidance.

Good luck and let us know if you get it working.

#887 - 01/27/02 12:37 AM Re: Question all Outlaws !
Jay-1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tampa, FL
Thanks for the info Hi4head !
I have 2 Polk Audio RT55i's for the mains (2 6 1/2 woofers in each box), then Polk Audio R10's for the rear. Don't have my center channel speaker yet,but have the SVS 20-39CS Subwoofer with the Carver 2 channel amp. I did try setting the mains to small and still nothing came out to the sub with it just hooked from the LFE out on 1050 to the left or right in of the Carver. I wish I didn't have to set the front mains to small just to get the sub to work, but will try it this week when I get my replacement. I went and listened to a Yamaha RXV-1000 and Integra DSP 7.1 and neither of these had a problem playing in 2 channel mode with the speakers set to Large and sub playing too. They both seememd to have more bass when playing music. We'll see.

Thanks again,

Jeff

#888 - 02/01/02 01:56 PM Re: Question all Outlaws !
Hockeyfan6781 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Buffalo, NY 14223
Jay-1
I have a Yamaha, and one thing about it I love is you can set it to where you get bass out of the "sub, mains,or both" which is really nice.

#889 - 02/01/02 06:13 PM Re: Question all Outlaws !
Jay-1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tampa, FL
I agree HockeyFan. This is why I just ordered a Yamaha RX-V2200 today : )

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 95 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts