Page 12 of 70 < 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 69 70 >
Topic Options
#87264 - 06/29/11 07:55 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: redman6]
Retep Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tauranga, New Zealand
Originally Posted By: redman6
whether it be 978 or the 998, I think they should make the unit modular

Not going to happen. It's been tried by others, but doesn't seem to work. Problem is you have chipsets that support a lot of these features and it would be too difficult to do.
Quote:

up-convert all soundtracks to hd audio where possible...

Why? It's not going to improve the sound. Compressed audio doesn't have the information needed to make it high definition.
Quote:

3d support as an upgrade feature at some stage....

This would just come along with HDMI 1.4a
Quote:

pro cals should be standard...
Are you referring to Audyssey XT Pro and Color Calibrations?
Quote:

price range 2,500-5,000..
ouch!
Quote:

the biggest failure with the umc-1 is the lack of support with hd codecs, I feel with the this unit emo dropped the ball in a big way, they seem to softcode firmware to suit suit missing hardware sometims it works sometimes it doesn't..
agreed, essential

Quote:

the idea of more hdmi removes the need to add a secondary AV switch similar to the denon hdmi expansion switch or mounting gear on a 8x4-12x8 distribution pre-amp
How many?

#87265 - 06/29/11 10:23 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: Retep]
BCool Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Peoria, IL
What are the odds on an update Thursday since the latest deadline is/was June 30?

#87266 - 06/29/11 11:13 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: BCool]
tkntz Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: United States
Originally Posted By: BCool
What are the odds on an update Thursday since the latest deadline is/was June 30?

Greater than zero, but not much greater....

#87267 - 06/29/11 11:18 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: redman6]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
whether it be 978 or the 998, I think they should make the unit modular, make the unit a big as possible, hdmi 1.4 10-16/4 or atleast expandable to this amount over time..

with input daughter boards I would say should support s-video component 5.1-7.2 analog and toslink.. 2nd-4th zone output to 7.2 rca or xlr.. 11.3 in primary zone..

There have been modular processors before. None have succeeded in the marketplace, few have ever received new daughter boards after their initial release, and all have been more expensive than their non-modular competitors. It simply isn't smart for a company to do, even if it does appeal to consumers who want to be able to "customize" a piece of hardware to suit personal tastes. The quirks of mass production mean that it is simply cheaper to get some features you won't use. And as discussed before (repeatedly), a multichannel second zone is cost prohibitive because it requires duplicating all the most expensive parts of the processor for each secondary zone. It's easier (and cheaper) to just buy a second surround processor or receiver for the other multichannel zone.

up-convert all soundtracks to hd audio where possible...

What does this even mean? If a source originates as lossy audio, nothing a processor can do will revert to the lossless source that was used to create it. At the same time, as soon as a lossy source is decoded, it is in PCM format. What are you going to "up-convert" that raw audio signal to?

3d support as an upgrade feature at some stage....

They are planning to include HDMI v1.4 support at launch, which means they'll have 3D support from the outset. At this point, no matter how much I get frustrated with HDMI's endless progression, releasing today with anything other than HDMI v1.4 with 3D video pass-through support is not really an option. Offering it as a future upgrade would be a step back, and an unwise one at that.

the idea of more hdmi removes the need to add a secondary AV switch similar to the denon hdmi expansion switch or mounting gear on a 8x4-12x8 distribution pre-amp

Building in HDMI switching with multiple simultaneously-active outputs is crazy, plain and simple. HDMI wasn't built for it, the cost would be significant, and most users simply have no use for it. There may be one user out of a thousand (if that many) who has a valid reason to want to do it, and that user is faced with the unenviable task of wrestling with HDMI's inherent restrictions in order to make it work. The rest of us are better off sticking with the scheme Outlaw's already planned for the Model 978 (and that Onkyo, Denon, Marantz, and others have also been using): two outputs, with one active at a time.

gonk if you ever think upgrading led you might to consider buying in bulk it will likely be be cheaper if you you do..

Huh? Do you mean upgrading my TV to an LED-backlit LCD? I like my existing LCD and don't plan to change until it fails or something appreciably better comes along. Right now nothing tempts me. Gzubeck was talking about upgrading from his seven-year-old RPTV to something newer, not me - and I think his decision to stick with what he has is perfectly reasonable. Not sure why buying in bulk would help either of us any, though...

#87278 - 06/30/11 07:39 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: casey01]
gzubeck Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: casey01
Originally Posted By: gzubeck
Gonk,

Don't laugh but I'm still using a Hitachi rear projection TV That I bought 7 years ago. I am using a Kenwood 8004 Trio Amp that I replaced $100 worth of Electrolytic parts for my Two front Channels (Using Two Polyglass Vifa Drivers with a Seas Aluminum/Mag Tweater). I am using another European/Japanese Sony 500 ES amp for my surrounds for a pair 15 year old B&W 600 Speakers. I Bought the Outlaw 970 preamp 2 years ago to replace my older sony DA-50ES Receiver which finally died. Now mind you this is no slouch of a receiver because it was made before Sony started cutting corners. I am currently running this in a quad speaker configuration with a phantom center channel. I thought I was seriously going to have to upgrade all of our equipment due to all the new HDMI requirements. Guess what...for Christmas we got a new panasonic Bluray player that Changed everything. We hooked up the Blu-ray player and the DTS signals were processed extremely well...so much so that now the speakers basically disappear when we put in the higher fidelity Bluray (A very immersive sound field emerges) as well as even better picture quality with greater control over the aspect ratio. We had to buy an external HDTV tuner for the older HDTV. We are currently using all Component video connections. After hearing about all the failure rates of the newer plasmas and huge costs of going LED LCD we are sitting on the sideline because the picture quality of my old Hitachi TV can only be exceeded by the Very best of the new LED TVs. To make a long story short the older Outlaw 970 has done an admirable job in decoding audio signals using the optical digital cable and we are in no rush to buy any new equipment until the Hitachi dies. Basically, I'm saying we can now live with what we got with a $150 Bluray player that improved our entire system. Everything shined with an improvement of just one component in our system. Amazing really. :>)

As a matter of fact I own a ten year old Toshiba 1080i RPCRT that is still working beautifully and until it dies, I have no interest whatsoever in any of the new technologies. As far as the restrictions of component video related to HDMI, there is a solution to this issue. You might want to check out the following websites: "HDFury.com" and/or "Moomecard.com". It would mean ordering either of them from Taiwan, however, either of these allow an HDMI to component connection to your monitor PLUS the added advantage of you now being able to use the HDMI connection out of your Blu-Ray player to maximize its video processing capabilities and upscaling of standard DVDs not available through a component connection. Also should your monitor continue to work and you desire to upgrade your AVR/Pre-Pro to attain (Dolby TruHD and DTS Master Audio) through the AVR, either of these will enable you to do this as well.

For now I think I will stick with the component connections. I like the Aspect ratio correction that puts a black mat around the available space on my 4X3 Hitachi. I don't have a widescreen Hitachi so there are very light grey bars on the top and bottom for the 1080i signal. When it comes in 480p using the entire screen I get to use the Bluray player's optional aspect correction. Thanks anyway for the info because it could be useful down the road if I need an HDMI to component output to my Hitachi TV with a new preamp or receiver. The Picture quality is still very good (better than DVD) with 480p output sitting 8 feet away from the screen. The biggest improvement is by far the Lossless DTS signal the bluray puts out. The 970 sounds a notch better when an improved signal is sent to the 970 preamp. I wonder at what bitrate the 970 decodes the Bluray DTS signal cause whatever its doing it sounds very life like (not cool or warm sounding).

#87281 - 06/30/11 10:00 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: gzubeck]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I had a 4x3 Zenith HDTV for a number of years. It was a direct-view set, not RPTV, but was actually a very nice display. My sister-in-law has it now, and it still works well after over seven years of service.

Quote:
The biggest improvement is by far the Lossless DTS signal the bluray puts out. The 970 sounds a notch better when an improved signal is sent to the 970 preamp. I wonder at what bitrate the 970 decodes the Bluray DTS signal cause whatever its doing it sounds very life like (not cool or warm sounding).

The only way to output lossless DTS from a player into the 970 is via multichannel analog. If you're using optical or coaxial, you are actually getting lossy DTS - but typically at the highest possible bit rate offered by DTS. These high-bitrate DD and DTS tracks really do a pretty good job, even if they aren't truly lossless, and the 970's decoding is then fed into the good DAC and analog section, which certainly helps.

#87320 - 07/05/11 08:15 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: gonk]
tkntz Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: United States
Can we get an update?

#87324 - 07/06/11 01:21 AM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: gzubeck]
LightninBoy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: St. Paul, MN
Originally Posted By: gzubeck
Gonk,

Don't laugh but I'm still using a Hitachi rear projection TV That I bought 7 years ago. I am using a Kenwood 8004 Trio Amp that I replaced $100 worth of Electrolytic parts for my Two front Channels (Using Two Polyglass Vifa Drivers with a Seas Aluminum/Mag Tweater). I am using another European/Japanese Sony 500 ES amp for my surrounds for a pair 15 year old B&W 600 Speakers. I Bought the Outlaw 970 preamp 2 years ago to replace my older sony DA-50ES Receiver which finally died. Now mind you this is no slouch of a receiver because it was made before Sony started cutting corners. I am currently running this in a quad speaker configuration with a phantom center channel. I thought I was seriously going to have to upgrade all of our equipment due to all the new HDMI requirements. Guess what...for Christmas we got a new panasonic Bluray player that Changed everything. We hooked up the Blu-ray player and the DTS signals were processed extremely well...

Whoo hoo! Luddites unite!!

I've got 8 year old DLP projector (720p) and a $80 dollar bluray player (which has a great bluray and DVD picture, BTW).

#87325 - 07/06/11 01:39 AM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: gonk]
LightninBoy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: St. Paul, MN
Originally Posted By: gonk
If you're using optical or coaxial, you are actually getting lossy DTS - but typically at the highest possible bit rate offered by DTS. These high-bitrate DD and DTS tracks really do a pretty good job, even if they aren't truly lossless, and the 970's decoding is then fed into the good DAC and analog section, which certainly helps.

"Pretty good job" is an understatement IMO. I couldn't tell the difference between it and the the lossless audio and its one of the reasons I returned the Oppo BDP-83 and instead opted for a cheap commmodity bluray player sans analog outs. I think its a little known fact that the "true spec" (but still lossy) DD and DTS typically available on Bluray over "legacy" digital connections (coaxial/optical) is a significant upgrade over the standard DVD lossy audio.

#87329 - 07/06/11 05:46 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: LightninBoy]
Patrick Williams Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Brewster, NY USA
Why I'll continue to wait for the 978:

1 - I'm using a Pioneer SC-05 as a pre/pro to my B&K Ref. 200.7, so I'm in no hurry.

2 - Outlaw isn't stupid. In the $1500 - $2000 price range, already available are the Marantz & Onkyo/Integra units. By all accounts both are terrific performers. Outlaw has to know they have to come up with something really special to compete with these two; or else the 978 may be dead out of the gate. After about $2000, the price of pre/pros seems to skyrocket. Outlaw has promised state of the art DACS & flawless operation - if they pull this off I think they will have a true giant slayer.

3 - I am aware that unless you base your pre/pro off of an existing AVR chassis, it takes time to dial it in. Bryston's new unit (will list for $9500) was first announced late in 2008. It still is not for sale. On another forum someone from Bryston said they had been waiting for 3 months for Dolby/DTS approvals.

Edited by Patrick Williams (07/06/11 11:06 PM)

Page 12 of 70 < 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 69 70 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 84 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM