Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#8723 - 03/31/05 12:09 PM receiver suggestions
Cargo Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Birmingham, AL
I need some suggestions on a receiver for a family member. He is buying equipment for his living room. At this time he is not going to have a full surround sound, only 3 speakers and a sub. I have recommended Ascend Acoustics CBM-170s for the mains and center and an HSU or Outlaw sub. I need some suggestions for a receiver in the $500-$700 range. If there is one that is more expensive, but such a stand out for the money, it would considered, I'm sure.
Ascend sells HK receivers on their site as an authorized dealer. They state that they have had very good results from these. I have noticed that, for the money, the wattage per channel is much lower on the HK than say a Yamaha or Denon of equal price. Are you paying for the "HK" on the receiver or would a lower wattage HK sound much better than a comparably price Yamaha or Denon?

#8724 - 03/31/05 04:49 PM Re: receiver suggestions
Eddie Horton Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
Yamaha, Denon, Sony, etc. have a way of being a little liberal with their wattage ratings. The HK's will deliver their stated wattage and more with all channels driven at the same time, where other receiver manufacturers measure theirs with only two channels driven. My Yamaha HTR-5790 says 110 watts x 7, but with all channels driven at the same time it's probably putting out about 35-40 watts per channel. It's still a good bang for the buck receiver. Another one that is getting lots of press at the moment is the Pioneer 1014. It's basically an Elite 52TX with a few less features. One thing your relative needs to consider is how fast technology moves. Most brands release new models every year, so he may not want to spend that much with only a 3.1 setup. Why pay $700 for a receiver when you are only using about a buck fifty of the features? By a cheaper, used 5.1 receiver and put the rest into other areas until they are ready to make the jump to a full setup. Just some things to consider and my 2 cents. If, however, they're going to go 5.1 within a year, go ahead and get a new receiver.

#8725 - 03/31/05 05:05 PM Re: receiver suggestions
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
Well I disagree that Denon overrates their power ratings, though Yamaha and Sony do.

HK makes good components though they are overpriced for their performance/features usually.

I agree that if he plans to upgrade soon, then he should go for a lower priced receiver to start with. At least that way he can compare its sound to his new more expensive processor/receiver/amp when he gets it...

I think that Denon packs their products with about as many features as possible and is a good value also. I guess you could get a 2805 for that price range.

#8726 - 03/31/05 05:20 PM Re: receiver suggestions
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
while i'll say that denon makes decent products,HK are slightly overpriced,under rated on power,but have high current output,and can drive difficult speakers easier than sony or yamaha(although nothing wrong with yamaha or sony when you get to their higher end receivers)

your best bet,and i'm really surprised you fellow outlaws haven't recommended it,is keep an eye on ebay and pick up a used 1050,they have pretty much held their value,so expect to pay $4-5 hundred plus shipping.

they are awesome for entry level 5.1 theater(6.1)
have awesome 2 channel sound for music,and have pre-outs for all channels for system growth down the road,you can't go wrong.with this forum you can get all the support you would ever need.

#8727 - 03/31/05 07:40 PM Re: receiver suggestions
JulioCat Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chilpancingo, Gro. Mexico
Quote:
Originally posted by painttoad:
your best bet,and i'm really surprised you fellow outlaws haven't recommended it,is keep an eye on ebay and pick up a used 1050,they have pretty much held their value,so expect to pay $4-5 hundred plus shipping. they are awesome for entry level 5.1 theater(6.1)
have awesome 2 channel sound for music,and have pre-outs for all channels for system growth down the road,you can't go wrong.with this forum you can get all the support you would ever need.
That's the reason you will not see mine on e-bay smile

#8728 - 03/31/05 08:07 PM Re: receiver suggestions
painttoad Offline
Desperado

#8729 - 03/31/05 08:09 PM Re: receiver suggestions
painttoad Offline
Desperado

#8730 - 03/31/05 08:10 PM Re: receiver suggestions
painttoad Offline
Desperado

[qb]
Quote:
Originally posted by JulioCat:

That's the reason you will not see mine on e-bay smile
mine either,i love it,and this forum.i call it entry level because of the fast moving industry and all the surround formats,but i will keep mine till the day it dies!(just keep upgrading amps and speakers as $$$ permit)

#8731 - 03/31/05 08:11 PM Re: receiver suggestions
painttoad Offline
Desperado

eek

#8732 - 03/31/05 09:24 PM Re: receiver suggestions
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Me too! But it doesn't hurt to keep an eye out. Check Audiogon, too.

I'll eventually upgrade to full separates from my 1050, but the trusty old 1050 will probably go (along with the then "old" speakers) to one of my daughters... or the bedroom. laugh

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 125 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM