Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#87149 - 06/14/11 05:11 PM Eight Years with the 950
LightninBoy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: St. Paul, MN
In this day and age few products last eight years, never mind pre/pros. Eight years in the pre/pro business is an eternity. Think back to 2003 ... the format battle was DVD-A vs. SACD. People were still arguing over coaxial or toslink. Digital video was delivered over a new interface called DVI. The next few years ushered in HD-DVD, Bluray, HDMI (version 1 to 1.4), hi rez multi-channel audio, Ipod, streaming, etc, etc.

With so much changing, one thing remained constant in my system ... the Outlaw 950. True - a lot of that has to do with my late adopter tendencies. But a big credit has to be given to the flexibility of the 950 platform. With it, I was able to make a lot of different configurations work. Between the trim controls on the multichannel analog inputs, the true bypass, analog bass management, the flexible signal routing, simple OSD, flexible remote, etc. - I was always able to integrate new technologies into my system via the 950.

Lately, I've been patiently waiting for Outlaw to produce a modern pre/pro with full HDMI support to help me manage my ever increasing HDMI sources. My patience has finally run out and I've replaced the 950 with a pre/pro from another maker.

But this post is not about the other pre/pro. Its a celebration of a product that for me defined the Outlaw philosophy and, indeed, an entire new way of buying affordable high quality audio gear. I respectfully urge Outlaw to remember these roots and core values as they forge their next generation of products.

I'm leaving Outlaw for now, but I want to come back. I hope Outlaw makes it easy for me to do so.

#87578 - 08/10/11 12:31 PM Re: Eight Years with the 950 [Re: LightninBoy]
Hank Offline
Desperado

Loc: Austin, Texas, USA
Nice tribute, LightninBoy. I still have my 950 with its loud buzzing torroid and barely working volume knob, holding out for the 978 that's supposed to ship by year end.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 86 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM