Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#86984 - 05/24/11 06:03 PM Two Channel Operation and Delay
JDB001 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Seneca, SC
It was not completely clear in the OAW3 user manual, but the transmitter/receiver combination is two simultaneous channels - yes/no? It can be used for two surround channels is the assumption, as that would be my application.

Also I gained from reading some post here that there is a fixed 20 millisec delay on both channels. Is this true or did I read it wrong? If it is running an 802.11 stack underneath, I would understand some jitter buffers would be somewhere and at least 20 millisec - although I would expect more delay to get through the stack. If it was pure analog, I would expect very little. A fixed delay may be compensated by the system controller or AV receiver, but I would not expect much adjustemnt (across all audio channels) before video sync problems would show up. Is this a bad assumption - any experts on the OAW3 application space? Does the Marantz 5005 have this flexibility?
Thanks.

#86986 - 05/25/11 07:05 AM Re: Two Channel Operation and Delay [Re: JDB001]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Originally Posted By: JDB001
It was not completely clear in the OAW3 user manual, but the transmitter/receiver combination is two simultaneous channels - yes/no? It can be used for two surround channels is the assumption, as that would be my application.

That is correct.

Also I gained from reading some post here that there is a fixed 20 millisec delay on both channels. Is this true or did I read it wrong? If it is running an 802.11 stack underneath, I would understand some jitter buffers would be somewhere and at least 20 millisec - although I would expect more delay to get through the stack. If it was pure analog, I would expect very little. A fixed delay may be compensated by the system controller or AV receiver, but I would not expect much adjustemnt (across all audio channels) before video sync problems would show up. Is this a bad assumption - any experts on the OAW3 application space? Does the Marantz 5005 have this flexibility?
Thanks.

I hadn't heard about a fixed delay, but it can be dealt with. Many subs experience this with external EQ - the SMS-1, for example, creates delay that is probably on the order of 15ms or so. Automatic room setup software identifies this as the subwoofer being farther away than it is physically. This would also be true for surround channels. The SR5005's Audyssey software should be able to address such a transmission delay in the same manner.

#87015 - 05/29/11 01:40 AM Re: Two Channel Operation and Delay [Re: JDB001]
ecniemann Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Greenfield, WI

Can someone expound on this? I don't really understand it. I also want to use it to transmit a stereo source in/out, but rather than as a surround set-up, as a 3rd zone. I would not want to use the sub-out then, rather the zone 3 output, so I do not have to have the same source playing in the main area. The 3rd zone would be in the garage hooked up to an old receiver. Therefore, would I not then need two double RCA to 1/8 jacks? Outlaw provides two mono to 1/8 jacks, but only one double RCA. I'm not sure how else to get both the R/L channels in/out of the transmitter and receiver otherwise. Does this make sense? Thanks in advance!

#87017 - 05/29/11 09:07 AM Re: Two Channel Operation and Delay [Re: ecniemann]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The jacks on the OAW3 are stereo 1/8" jacks, so you can use a stereo 1/8" to stereo RCA cable on either end. A second one can be picked up from Radio Shack or MonoPrice if you don't already have one lying around.

#87023 - 05/29/11 07:43 PM Re: Two Channel Operation and Delay [Re: gonk]
ecniemann Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Greenfield, WI
Originally Posted By: gonk
The jacks on the OAW3 are stereo 1/8" jacks, so you can use a stereo 1/8" to stereo RCA cable on either end. A second one can be picked up from Radio Shack or MonoPrice if you don't already have one lying around.

Thanks! That's what I thought, but wanted to make sure before purchasing. Yes, I would just get another cable through Monoprice, unless..........Outlaw would sub another stereo cable in place of both mono cables, which I would not use.

I really wish Outlaw would show this configuration in the PDF manual. Clearly, it is not well stated how, or if, this set-up works. They briefly mention it in the description of the product, and that is it. At least it is in the forums now for future reference.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts