Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#8688 - 03/03/05 10:15 PM Bye Bye Voom
wingnut4772 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Miami
What a disappointment . I LOVED this service. So now what? Direct TV or Dish network? Any preferences? HD PQ and Sound Quality are the most important things I am looking for. Baseball package too..
Voom's PQ was incredible. It will be hard going backwards. Bye Voom. We hardly knew ye. frown

#8689 - 03/03/05 11:42 PM Re: Bye Bye Voom
kugumby Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: St. Louis, MO USA
I can't compare it to Voom because I never saw it, however, I've been very happy with the PQ on Dish. I do notice compression at times, but I think that's going to be pretty standard. Not nearly as many HD choices as Voom obviously.

Have you heard who will be taking them over? I'm crossing my fingers that it will be Dish. You can click the following link for a little more info.

http://www.crainsny.com/news.cms?id=10071

#8690 - 03/04/05 12:27 AM Re: Bye Bye Voom
wingnut4772 Offline
Desperado

I don't know. I just read that the pending sale fell through and it was kaput. Voom customers would recieve programming for 30 more days and then......crickets.

#8691 - 03/04/05 08:35 AM Re: Bye Bye Voom
JMS Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NE Ohio
I don't know. Their website says they are pleased to announce a new owner with the same, current managers. Here's the quote:

"We are pleased to inform you that a new company, VOOM HD, LLC, has signed a letter of intent with VOOM's current corporate owner to purchase the VOOM service and continue providing you with our state-of-the-art service, supported by the existing VOOM management team."

#8692 - 03/04/05 09:07 AM Re: Bye Bye Voom
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
I've never seen had the opportunity to experience HD beyond the stores so I can't speak to that directly. However, in regards to service, I MUCH prefer DirecTV to Dish. Had some really bad customer service issues with Dish and nary a problem since the move to DirecTV. I seem to recall a couple years ago having a long thread somewhere on the forum here about satellite providers. I wasn't the only one to experience this type of service issue with Dish!

#8693 - 03/04/05 10:07 AM Re: Bye Bye Voom
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
had dish ' bout 2 years no digital or hd, just basic 150 channels of crap!had problems with CS but always got resolved.most annoying thing is every couple weeks right channel drops out,shut off,pull card,let it reset,everythings good for a couple more weeks although they do not want to send out another receiver. have s-vid out and pretty decent PQ unless:windy,cloudy,snowing,raining....

#8694 - 03/04/05 10:09 AM Re: Bye Bye Voom
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
but "free" sirius is a good(great) perk!

#8695 - 03/04/05 10:35 AM Re: Bye Bye Voom
wingnut4772 Offline
Desperado

Quote:

"We are pleased to inform you that a new company, VOOM HD, LLC, has signed a letter of intent with VOOM's current corporate owner to purchase the VOOM service and continue providing you with our state-of-the-art service, supported by the existing VOOM management team."

Is that an old message? When I click on the site it says (paraphrasing )'Voom is not taking any new orders and will be shut down by March 30'.

I have had Direct TV in the past, in fact just prior to Voom, and I kinda miss Tivo so I will give them a call I suppose.

#8696 - 03/04/05 11:08 AM Re: Bye Bye Voom
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
I love Tivo! It absolutely changed the way we watch television.

Painttoad, I could be in the minority, but I've never noticed any problems with signal degrading due to weather with DirecTV. Also don't have any problems with sound dropping out. CS at Dish never resolved any of my problems, not even when I told them I'd be switching service if something wasn't done. Guess who has my business now...

#8697 - 03/04/05 11:19 AM Re: Bye Bye Voom
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The buzz online seems to indicate that Charles Dolan (Cablevision Chairman) still wants to buy the VOOM assets and keep the service operational - he formed VOOM HD (thereby creating the quote JMS found) as a new company to take on the VOOM service, failed to reach an agreement with the Cablevision board by 2/28 (a deadline set by the board), and then wrote a memo saying that he still wanted to pursue acquiring the satellite and some other resources in order to keep VOOM going independently from Cablevision. Cablevision appears to have made up its mind (selling the bird to EchoStar and shutting down services at the end of this month), but Dolan doesn't seem to have quite given up yet. I guess we'll all know one way or another in a few more weeks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts