Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#86826 - 04/21/11 01:08 PM 990 is still awesome
YodaMark Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Avon, OH
Wow, what a great AV pre/pro! I bought the 990 ‘B’ Stock along with a 7500 power amp in April, 2011 - what a fabulous combination – the dynamic duo! I had originally bought an Emotiva UMC-1 and XP-3 (plus XPA-2) based on price and specs, but could not tolerate all the bugs, noise, and poor sound quality – all went back to Emotiva after only 3 days. Anyway, the Outlaw 990 combined with the 7500 just rocks! I am 50/50 music/movies, so I needed a good performer for both applications. Much appreciate the great advice from Scott at Outlaw. I much prefer the stoic look of the 990/7500 combo – it just looks great in my custom built-in cabinets. This is my first entry into separates and better speakers and I could not be happier.
I have Klipsch RF-7ii, RC-64, and RF-62 speakers and a very large open-space finished basement. The 990 handles everything I throw at it with ease. I have everything wired with XLR cables and 12 gauge speaker wire. Inputs switch in less than a second, no matter if optical digital, analog digital, or analog. I do not use the DVI, since I run my BP and HD cable box direct to TV. I use optical and 5.1 output from BR direct, but can’t tell much of a difference, they sound slightly different, but both sound great (maybe the 990’s DACs have the edge here but the only way to get HD audio out of blu ray is with direct outs without HDMI). The sound stage is absolutely unbelievable for music, excellent separation of channels, no crosstalk, no noise, no pos, etc. – just pure sound. Bass is thick, so you can feel it in your chest every time the bass and snare drums hit.
I like a thick analog sound, much like I get with my Marshall all-tube guitar amps (I play through a Marshall 60 watt 2 x 12 combo), and the 7500 combined with the Klipsch speakers reminds me of a real “live” sound like you would get in a live band setting – exactly what I was after. Pop in Eagles’ Hell Freezes Over” or Clapton’s “Unplugged” DVD and you will know what I mean – the sound quality is just amazing. Every instrument can be pinpointed. Poor quality recordings also show their limits very quickly with the 990/7500 – some CDs sound phenomenal, being able to push the SPL very high with no distortion, while others struggle to get there, but that is no fault of the 990/7500. I can tolerate about 112 dB SPL (using my SPL meter) at 14’ from main speakers for serious rock/metal music, and the 990/7500 does not break a sweat at all at these high SPLs – in fact, the 7500 barely gets warm. As I’m writing this I’m listening to “Little Man” by Alan Jackson – it sounds AMAZING. I prefer using Bypass mode for stereo, using the CD’s DAC, but again, the optical input to the 990 using the 990’s DAC sounds great too. I also like the 5-channel stereo mode, which I thought I would not like, but it sounds great for background music. We watch Dancing with the Stars and recently they had a 45 piece live orchestra – I swear it reminded of being at the live Cleveland Orchestra – it was out of this world – pristine, in fact. Even my wife has commented how great the system sounds – and she is usually numb to this stuff.
Watch the fish tank scene in “Finding Nemo” (at time 1:18) and you will hear bass response that rivals many subwoofers. My RF-7ii’s and the 990/7500 produce serious bass. My old 12” 250 watt subwoofer is weak link in my audio chain (another upgrade soon!), and I can’t tell difference when it is on or off, since the my RF-7s and the 990/7500 envelope it. This particular scene in the movie has very tight, deep and percussive bass and the 990 just cuts through it without any issues – and will knock you off your chair if you don’t expect it!
I originally bought the 990 with the intention of upgrading to the Outlaw 978 when it comes out for the HDMI. But, right now I see no clear benefit to switching HDMI. You can get great surround sound using optical from the BR or even HD audio using analog outputs from the BR into the 7.5 direct inputs of the 990. I like my A/V simple and pure, as such, I prefer video to go directly to the TV and audio to run as direct as possible from the source to the speakers – that just makes sense to me. I hate most DSP, as it usually sounds artificial. The 990 does not have any of this DSP garbage – it presents the audio signals, on most settings, in a near-pure format. Certainly the Bypass mode handles this very well for 2-channel stereo.
I have not used the auto set-up, since my speakers are all large and I just prefer to run it all full range, so all my cross-overs are set at 40 Hz (I might still tweak the RC-64 center speaker). Plus my speaker placement and distances are ideal in my space, with the prim listening position being almost at center of X pattern relative to front and surround speakers.
In summary, if you can get your hands on a 990 and don’t want to break the bank, you cannot possibly go wrong with this unit, especially with the 7500 providing the muscle. I might still get the 978 when it comes out, but it would only be for the reason of having a current model, better DACs, and HDMI (like I said, I have no use for HDMI switching and my room is simple enough that I probably would not benefit from the Odyssey). I am a very happy and permanent customer of Outlaw Audio. My only slight nit is I wish everything was accessible on the front display without having to pull up the OSD menu (but that is a very minor nit). The 990/7500 is a superior product in every way compared to my old Yamaha receiver (which I did like, it was just getting old). Oh, BTW, the Emotiva UMC-1/XPA-3 does not even come close to the 990/7500 combo – trust me on this. Get a B stock 990 or wait for the 978 and get the 7500 to go with it – you will have one big smile on your face.
Klipsch RF-7ii mains
RC-64ii center
RF-62 (2) surrounds
Samsung HL67A750 HDTV
Samsung HD-931 using analog out for 2-channel music
Samsung BD-P2500 Blu Ray using HDMI video & optical/multichannel for HD Audio
Scientific Atlanta HD Cable Box - HDMI video & optical audio
Realistic subwoofer (embarrassing - uggh!)
My upgrade wishlist: SVS PC13-Ultra & Oppo BDP-95 (that should do it!)

#86827 - 04/21/11 05:57 PM Re: 990 is still awesome [Re: YodaMark]
butchgo Offline
Desperado

Loc: Southern Oregon coast
I totally agree with your summary of the 990/7500 combo.
I have had mine for a couple of years now and really could not be happier.
I too will probably upgrade to the 978, if the sound quality is heads above the 990.
Enjoy your new toys!!!!!! grin
Outlaw 7500 for LCR & L/R surrounds
1- Emotiva Mini X-A100 for rear surrounds
2- Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs
Oppo BDP-105 Blu-ray/DVD/SACD player
Outlaw LCR (Snell Labs) for center channel duty
Tekton Lore monitors L/R
4- Emotiva ERD-1s surround speakers
Monster HTS3600MKII power center

#86829 - 04/21/11 09:06 PM Re: 990 is still awesome [Re: butchgo]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Absolutely agree with the assessment. I drive Maggies from my combo and they are fabulaous for sound. Love the 990 and the 7500.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#86831 - 04/22/11 12:49 AM Re: 990 is still awesome [Re: XenonMan]
cogito Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Janesville, WI
Glad to hear you're enjoying your purchase. I bought my first separates last spring, 990/7125. I wanted to go with the 7500 too but unfortunately Outlaw didn't have the amp sale last year so I had to go a step down. Yes. I am more than a little jealous.
I couldn't agree with your 990 observations more. Since I got my 990 it's like I have a brand new music collection. I just keep hearing new things in music that I thought I knew very well. One of the best purchases I've ever made.
Oppo BDP-83, LG UBK90 4k
Directv, Sony PS4 Pro/PS3
Polk Audio RT800, CS400, FX500
SVS Elevation (4)
Sunfire True Subwoofer, Epik Empire
APC H15
Harmony Elite remote
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects

#86842 - 04/23/11 09:12 PM Re: 990 is still awesome [Re: cogito]
YodaMark Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Wow, a lot of happy Outlaw folks! Well, tonight we watched Tangled and let me tell you...well, you know (it was great!).
Thanks for all the support and enjoy your Outlaw gear. Mark
Klipsch RF-7ii mains
RC-64ii center
RF-62 (2) surrounds
Samsung HL67A750 HDTV

#86843 - 04/24/11 09:16 AM Re: 990 is still awesome [Re: butchgo]
YodaMark Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Yeah, I wonder if I would be able tell the difference between the 990 and the 978? Reason I ask is I don't have any SACDs. The one thing that immediately jumped out at me with the 990/7500 is that with my CD collection how utterly terrible some of my CDs sound while others (most) sound very good. I was not able to absolultey notice this with my old set-up. I don't really hear the difference until the volume gets high, but some CDs I drive to high SPL clearly while others fall apart quite quickly. This is is becoming more evident to me on using my 5.1 direct outputs from my BR - I think the sound is clearer at higher volume levels using direct analog out of the BR than using the optical inputs to the 990. I guess that is the difference between lossy PCM via optical and lossless audio via analog out (or HDMI). But for the relatively low volume levels I listen at it really does not make a big difference for my ears (too much loud electric guitars during my 46 years probably to blame!), but at higher volume levels poor audio sources really stand out as "bad" sounding! Great "talking" with ya'll out here in cyberspace!
Klipsch RF-7ii mains
RC-64ii center
RF-62 (2) surrounds
Samsung HL67A750 HDTV

#86844 - 04/24/11 09:29 AM Re: 990 is still awesome [Re: cogito]
YodaMark Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Cogito, I'll bet that you wouldn't tell much of a difference until you hit some serious SPL between the 7500 and the 7125? In fact, I was pretty happy driving my Klipsh speakers with my old 80 wpc 5.1 Yammy, it was just getting old and had very limited audio control to offer (no crossovers, delay, etc.). I'll bet I am only tapping into a fraction of the 7500, especially with the RF-7s efficiency at 101 dB. By my primitive calculations it only takes about 30 watts to generate 112 dB SPL with my speakers at 14 feet! I think the higher wattage and capacitance comes in handy for impedence dips and sustained low frequency response, but I don't think it makes any difference at reasonable listening levels. It gets insanely loud very quickly and the 7500 barely gets warm to the touch - and I have a HUGE finished open basement. I find this with guitar amps, I prefer my low wattage guitar amps at lower volumes (but overdriven nonetheless) and in most settings - lower wattage guitar amps (tube) are just more dynamic and responsive to pick attack at low volume levels, and a big (100+ watt) does not really open up until it gets VERY loud (which is not tolerable in most venues). Seriously, on the 990 I can't go past -26dB for most movies and -8dB for most music - it is just too much volume (my ears ring at 0dB setting = 112dB SPL and that is just not healthy!). Love your 7125 and enjoy it heartily!

Edited by YodaMark (04/25/11 08:55 AM)
Klipsch RF-7ii mains
RC-64ii center
RF-62 (2) surrounds
Samsung HL67A750 HDTV

#86845 - 04/24/11 10:01 AM Re: 990 is still awesome [Re: YodaMark]
PeterT Offline
Gunslinger

This has been an interesting thread for me to read because I too have the 990/7500 combination. What I find most gratifying is that the discussion of this "system" has now migrated as to how different program material sounds.

The goal of these components is to provide trouble-free performance that opens a window to the software itself, whether it is music or motion picture soundtracks. After set-up and calibration, if you no longer have to think about the hardware then we have accomplished our objective. Your positive comments mean a lot to us.

Peter

#86941 - 05/12/11 06:09 PM Re: 990 is still awesome [Re: PeterT]
opusX Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: McKinney, TX
GREAT NEWS!! I purchased my 990/7700 combo 5 years ago and I've not even thought about an upgrade. Of coarse these guys are the heart of my system and let me tell you; they take great pride in their role because they have performed and performed every time I've asked. No matter what I've thrown at them, they have made me proud every time. When the Logans ask for more power without losing the reality of the moment, its there. I love it!! I love all kinds of music (well not a big Mily Cyrus fan) but you get the picture. The 990/7700 combo gives me front row tickets to concerts I never thought I could afford. I could count on one finger how many times I've been to the movies in the past 5 years. Not only because the prices are ridiculous and they don't sell Single Malt Scotch; not to brag, but the local movie theater don't sound as good as my home theater and my hot sauce covered popcorn is a classic. :-) I think these guys will remain the stars of my system until they decide they've had enough.
Direct TV Set top
DA-Lite 120" Screen
Panamax 5400EX (Filtering System Components)
Furman M-8 x2 (Filtering ML Fronts, Center & Subs)

Martin Logan Aeon i (Front)
Martin Logan Theater i (Center)
2 Martin Logan Descent (Subs)
Monitor Audio (Surrounds)
800 Watt Buttshaker Amplifier w/6 Bass Transducers

Accessories:
Cardas, Kimber Kable, Blue Jeans Interconnects
Naim Audio Speaker Cable
Toslink's
DIY Sound Panels | Bass Traps
Logitech 1100 Remote

#86958 - 05/17/11 04:39 PM Re: 990 is still awesome [Re: opusX]
NRBQLou Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Denver, CO USA
Nice thread! With all of the strum and drang over the 978 (myself included), it's great to be reminded of what a cool piece of gear many of us have right now. I'm running a 990/755/(2)200 combo and it sounds freaking great. Just added a pair of GoldenEar Triton fronts from Sandy Gross of Polk/Definitive fame and even I can't believe what a great "stereo" I have, let alone the other members of the surround speaker family. So, kudos to Outlaw for producing this fine rig, and here's hoping they encounter good fortune and good sounds when the next new thing finally arrives, whatever form it takes.
Oppo BDP-83, Sony UBP-X800
Roku Streaming Stick +
Music Hall mm5.1 table, Ortofon 2M Blue Cartridge, Cambridge Audio 640P Phono Preamp, Pro-Ject Speed Box
Belkin Pure AV Power Conditioner
Audioquest Type 8 speaker cable, Monoprice speaker Cable
Mostly Monoprice interconnects

Who's Online
0 registered (), 177 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts