Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#8682 - 02/25/05 12:03 PM Powervar Conditioners
wingnut4772 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Miami
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these. I currently have a Monster power conditioner and I was wondering if these might be better. Thanks

#8683 - 02/28/05 06:22 PM Re: Powervar Conditioners
tekdredger Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Franklin, WI
Quote:
Originally posted by wingnut4772:
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these.
I guess not.

I've never heard of 'em. Can you post a link or something?

#8684 - 02/28/05 07:37 PM Re: Powervar Conditioners
alphanstein Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Diego, CA
I used one before I moved to my Panamax 5300. I had the 12 amp unit and needed to move to something that didn't limit current cause my new setup needed more juice.

The unit was fine for the most part, only downside was transformer hum that happened seldomly. It was filtering the bad electricity from my neighbors, my fridge, and other stuff every once in a while.

It is a massive transformer, so you do not want to plug in anything that will be current limited. I had multiple power outages (calif power crisis) during the use of my unit and never had any damage to my system.

#8685 - 02/28/05 10:28 PM Re: Powervar Conditioners
wingnut4772 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Miami
Thanks for your response. I have been upgrading the past few months and I was considering replacing my Monster 2500 but I suppose the Monster will do for a while. I really can not seem to find any real comparisons .

#8686 - 10/01/05 08:27 AM Re: Powervar Conditioners
Stringreen Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Home
I've used a number of power conditioners, and found after extensive listening that they sometimes (but not always) help the system. Most work best if you plug it into the circuit and plug NOTHING into the unit itself. Plugging ANYTHING into the unit generally ruins the sound..collapses the sound stage, adds grain and grit, does funny things with the phasing, etc. I'm using Richard Gray stuff on my big system and it helps slightly, but again, I have nothing plugged into it. I'm using API on my video system, and it helps a little there too, but again only if nothing is plugged into it.

#8687 - 10/01/05 09:16 PM Re: Powervar Conditioners
Audiolib Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NH
I have a Monster HTS5000 who's biggest knock it that it whines if you turn up the blue gauge light too high. So I just turn it way down so you can barely see it.

Audio-wise I can't say that it does anything for crosstalk or separation of component interference, but I can't say it hurts either. When I wired my HT room, I ran 4 - 20A dedicated circuits to separate outlets for my HT. I give my RPTV and amps their own circuits and plug all of my digital equipment into the Monster HTS5000 and they sound fine. My noise floor is pretty low.

Admittedly, there are areas with real unstable AC power due to a number of reasons. I had a friend who said when his local transformer blew and was replaced, his whole audio system sounded better. I guess if you are in that situation, a high-end AC regenerator/stabilizer may be in order. Other than that, we all may be just paying lots of money for oversized surge protectors? confused

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM