Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#86806 - 04/17/11 07:20 AM Credit Card Hijacked
EEman Offline
Desperado

Loc: Canton, MI
I'm in the process of putting my life back together after some $@%! stole my credit card number. Details are still few but here's what I know.

My credit card was hit with a charge from WMV*match.com which was later credited back. Three days later all sorts of other charges started hitting the card, mostly overseas.

A quick google search indicated that the above is a malicious site that jacks credit card numbers. Haven't found much else (other than I seem to have plenty of company). Not sure if this is tied into the Monoprice issue of last fall, or not.

Be warned. If you see a charge and credit from the above site you are probably already compromised.

#86807 - 04/17/11 01:23 PM Re: Credit Card Hijacked [Re: EEman]
PeterT Offline
Gunslinger

EEman,

I am sorry about your issue. Unfortunately things like this are becoming more common. Since I am very busy, my wife goes online at least three times a week and checks for strange looking charges.(So much for my impulse buying habits.) I always get asked "What is this for?" We have actually isolated real charge mistakes and have corrected them immediately-to say nothing of my getting caught with my "as seen on TV" weakness. eek

One other thing to consider: Some companies offer a" virtual credit card" system. We have a Citibank Visa card and are enrolled in this program. When we buy something online they generate a one- use credit card number that is linked to our card. If someone tries to use that unique number a second time it is invalid. It works great and provides us piece of mind. You might want to look into this with your credit card company.

Peter

#86853 - 04/26/11 11:29 AM Re: Credit Card Hijacked [Re: PeterT]
EEman Offline
Desperado

Loc: Canton, MI
Thanks Peter, I definitely need to look into the virtual credit card.

Most of my angst on this issue was that it happened two days before we left for Florida for spring break and I only carry one credit card. Another lesson learned for me was to have a back-up credit card, just-in-case...

Still had fun on spring break though.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 135 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts