Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#85346 - 12/26/10 07:57 PM Powered Loudspeakers
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
I wonder if there has there been any behind-the-scenes discussion of Outlaw two-, three-, or four-way powered loudspeakers for the sake of reproduction accuracy and ultra-low distortion?

In other words, the processor output is taken to the the loudspeaker location at a low level (balanced line analog or digital audio via cable, fiber or wireless) where the full range signal (or full range minus subwoofer frequencies) is received by an active crossover, then amplified and delivered directly to the transducers?

As a concept, I like the idea of something like a 2+1+1 tri-band active loudspeaker (two woofer, one mid-range, one tweeter driven by four modest amplifier channels) with mode selection somewhat similar to the Outlaw LCR. Intended for use with one or more powered subwoofers, the overall result would be quad-band acoustic reproduction.

Likes or dislikes?

#85348 - 12/26/10 08:21 PM Re: Powered Loudspeakers [Re: bestbang4thebuck]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
I love the idea or wireless powered speakers and being able to transmit HI-fidelity signals to remote locations. I was hoping Outlaw would be developing some powered speakers to go with the OWA3 systems. Maybe a 7 channel version of the OWA3 which receives the signal from the pre-pro and outputs to 5 or 7 channels of powered surround speakers each with their own dedicated amp built just for that speaker. The amp could be customized to provide the correct range of power and response for the speaker. There would be a huge market for HT buffs if the price was reasonable. The cost of buying a separate high powered amp and speakers could be offset by the powered speakers. If it could be done for less than $3000 I bet it would be popular.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#86656 - 03/31/11 08:36 AM Re: Powered Loudspeakers [Re: XenonMan]
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
I think it's time for Outlaw to prepare to leapfrog the competition with high speed wireless data links between a pre/pro and powered, active crossover loudspeakers, offered as a system for sale in custom or suggested component packages: all speakers wireless*; two or three fronts wired (for analog stereo purists), subs wired or wireless*, surrounds wireless*; etc. Yes, one can search through the hodgepodge in the market and kluge something together, but a system thought out and put together by Outlaw could 'take the cake' if there's not too much delay in bringing the system's components to market.

Users could then have either the all-Outlaw system, or have some of the system comprised of their long-time favorite loudspeakers.

* 'Wireless' does not mean devoid of wired power for active loudspeakers. Of course each loudspeaker cabinet's main power supply does not have to be in the same cabinet as the transducers.

#86661 - 03/31/11 01:24 PM Re: Powered Loudspeakers [Re: bestbang4thebuck]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

I forgot all about this thread. I have a pretty big room in my house which I would like to be able to use as an HT room. Rather than run wires from the front to the back I was thinking it would be cool to have a multichannel version of the OWA that I could use to transmit the signal to my 7125 and power all my rear speakers through it. My thoughts are leaning towards a 12.4 system so I can use both my amps and all my subs in one system. Whay would be really cool is that I could input the OWA-7 to a new ICBM-2 and use some of the larger speakers as subs when I needed just by changing the crossovers to them. I know I can just buy multiple versions of the OWA-3 and use them but...

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE

#86665 - 03/31/11 03:42 PM Re: Powered Loudspeakers [Re: XenonMan]
KOYAAN Offline
Desperado

Loc: Sanford NC
Perhaps I'm wrong, that wouldn't be a first, but I believe such a setup would require speakers with their own amp, so the 7125 would be pretty much eliminated, unless you wanted some wired and some wireless speakers.
What is a 12.4 system? Front mains and center, 2 height, 2 width, and 5 surrounds with 4 discrete subs
I'd think the big problrm there would be the prepro feeding the amp for the front 7 and wireles for the other 2 + .4
Pioneer Elite DV-47A
Magnavox HDMR513h DVR/DVD-R
Sony DVD megachangers-2
Sony CD megachangers-2
Monster power centers-2
Sony 48" rear projection SDTV
Roku video player
JVC AL-A158 Turntable
Polk RT-2000s,CS-650,XS-650s,RT80s
LFM-1EX
Hsu VTF-1
12" Velodyne

Family room:
OPPO 970
Sony 32" direct view HDTV
Denon 3801
Rolk RMs

#86672 - 03/31/11 10:45 PM Re: Powered Loudspeakers [Re: KOYAAN]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

I was thinking about keeping the 7125 as a back/rear amp to power all the rear/surround speakers from a signal from the AVP through the "OWA-7". The wireless part is the 7125 getting its input from the "OWA-7". I would have to split the signal to several pairs of speakers to use all twelve at the same time, unless I fed the 990 from the Onkyo 886 through a digital signal and used both processors at the same time. I wonder if the OPPO will allow both its HDMI and Component digital outputs to be used at the same time. Then I could feed each AVP its own audio signal and tune them separately. Could be a killer setup for Movies. I could bi-amp the mains up front and still have the center off the 7500. That would leave the Sides, Rears and Height channels for the 7125 with a spare channel. Maybe I could drive a butt kicker with the extra channel.

TV System

Home Theater System
Harmony ONE

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts