Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 4 of 70 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 69 70 >
Topic Options
#86749 - 04/11/11 07:42 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: casey01]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Using the "mainstream" manufacturers as a basis for comparison is deceptive for several reasons. First, those manufacturers release new models every year, often just changing one or two minor details and bumping the model number up a notch. Outlaw has never used this business model. Second, the years since the Model 990 have been particularly disruptive industry-wide. Look at how many new generations of HDMI-based processors Parasound has released since the Model 990 (hint: just as many as Outlaw). Look at Lexicon - who is owned by Harmon International, giving them access to "in-house" R&D resources that Outlaw lacks, but has only one HDMI processor (itself a variation on the existing MC-12 platform rather than a ground-up development). There are other examples of companies who have had hard times to varying degrees with HDMI. Hopefully the Model 978 will let Outlaw close that particular chapter.

#86753 - 04/12/11 11:35 AM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: gonk]
casey01 Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: gonk
Using the "mainstream" manufacturers as a basis for comparison is deceptive for several reasons. First, those manufacturers release new models every year, often just changing one or two minor details and bumping the model number up a notch. Outlaw has never used this business model. Second, the years since the Model 990 have been particularly disruptive industry-wide. Look at how many new generations of HDMI-based processors Parasound has released since the Model 990 (hint: just as many as Outlaw). Look at Lexicon - who is owned by Harmon International, giving them access to "in-house" R&D resources that Outlaw lacks, but has only one HDMI processor (itself a variation on the existing MC-12 platform rather than a ground-up development). There are other examples of companies who have had hard times to varying degrees with HDMI. Hopefully the Model 978 will let Outlaw close that particular chapter.

As usual, your points have merit, however, I guess the operative word here is "hopefully". Unfortunately, with all the time that has gone by here, that is not much to go on.

#86754 - 04/12/11 12:11 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: casey01]
Sirquack Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Iowa
maybe ATI can build one for them. smile
130" DIY Screen
Panny BluRay

My Homepage

#86755 - 04/12/11 02:34 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: casey01]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Originally Posted By: casey01
As usual, your points have merit, however, I guess the operative word here is "hopefully". Unfortunately, with all the time that has gone by here, that is not much to go on.

I don't feel too bad about assuming that the Model 978 will arrive. If you look at the HDMI delays experienced so far, they are almost entirely tied up in the Model 997 development. The decision to not try to be frontrunners developing an HDMI platform in 2007 or 2008 probably made a ton of sense at the time, and the combination of an existing business relationship (particularly one that produced the highly successful Model 990) and the promise of Trinnov just made it that much more appealing. Unfortunately, that left them sitting for several years waiting for promised hardware to emerge so they could customize it to their needs. The end result wasn't good enough, so they had to start from scratch. The "from scratch" approach is one they've successfully used in the past, so I don't see any reason to expect them to fail this time.

Also, they could have released a Model 997 that didn't do what they expected of it, sold a decent number of them, and used that income to help tide them over while they developed the Model 978 and Model 998. That would have given them an "Outlaw" processor they could point to. They chose not to because it didn't meet their standards. It was a "lose-lose" sort of decision, but I think the consumers probably benefited from their decision and I think in the long run it was the best choice for Outlaw as well.

#86828 - 04/21/11 06:33 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: XenonMan]
md Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Dear Outlaw Audio,

How about an update on delivery date window and a progress update on development/testing?

Thank you in advance for your timely reply,

md

#86855 - 04/26/11 12:04 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: md]
GaryB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Quote:
During CES we met with top management from the factory team that will be building the Model 978, and we're comfortable that the new schedule targets are realistic given the additional features mentioned above. Now that things are just about final, our development team is working with them to fine tune the pricing, which is one of the items we'll address in future updates along with some final details that we're still keeping under wraps.

To sum things up, although we've had to add a few months to the schedule we are confident that adding Audyssey XT32 is worth a slightly longer wait. The hardware is now settled. The software direction has been set. The industrial design has long been finalized and within the next month we should have our first "spy photos" for you.

Three months to the day since Scott's last announcement, part of which is quoted above, and not a peep since then other than the mentioned "spy photos" which also required a reminder. For those of us still patiently waiting, I think a request for a status update at this time is not unreasonable.

#86859 - 04/28/11 12:48 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: GaryB]
Hank Offline
Desperado

Loc: Austin, Texas, USA
Quote:
a request for a status update at this time is not unreasonable

+1

#86860 - 04/28/11 01:48 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: Hank]
tkntz Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: United States
I think we've gotten some subtle updates from PeterT on this very thread. I think the reality is that a 2Q 2011 release date is out and with the availability of certain components from Japan still up in the air, I don't think Outlaw knows when they'll be able to move forward on this project.

With that said, I would love to hear an update as well. In particular, we know they've had a test mule in their possession for a few months now. I would love to hear how the testing is coming along. Not sure how realistic that is though. I know as we waited for the 997 to be released, the updates were not on any specific time intervals. The updates will come as there is something to report.

#86889 - 05/03/11 05:25 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: tkntz]
NRBQLou Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Denver, CO USA
Crickets...
Oppo BDP-83, Sony UBP-X800
Roku Streaming Stick +
Music Hall mm5.1 table, Ortofon 2M Blue Cartridge, Cambridge Audio 640P Phono Preamp, Pro-Ject Speed Box
Belkin Pure AV Power Conditioner
Audioquest Type 8 speaker cable, Monoprice speaker Cable
Mostly Monoprice interconnects

#86898 - 05/04/11 05:08 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: NRBQLou]
butchgo Online   content
Desperado

Loc: Southern Oregon coast
I kind of wonder if they ever got any units out for Beta testing?
Outlaw 7500 for LCR & L/R surrounds
1- Emotiva Mini X-A100 for rear surrounds
2- Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs
Oppo BDP-105 Blu-ray/DVD/SACD player
Outlaw LCR (Snell Labs) for center channel duty
Tekton Lore monitors L/R
4- Emotiva ERD-1s surround speakers
Monster HTS3600MKII power center

Page 4 of 70 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 69 70 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 140 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts