Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#86619 - 03/25/11 03:17 PM Processor Delay
Zaigrith Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I have my ps3 hdmi hooked directly into my television, and a optical tos cable from the ps3 to the oppo so I can get the 5.1 DTS. When watching LOTR I experienced a sound delay that I was unable to correct with the delay settings. The picture was show before the sound played.

Is there any way to fix this?

#86620 - 03/25/11 04:49 PM Re: Processor Delay [Re: Zaigrith]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I assume you mean you are running optical from the PS3 to the Outlaw (not oppo). If video is ahead of audio, that's not a problem you can fix with AV sync adjustment. AV sync allows audio to be delayed to compensate for video processing delays, fixing the condition of audio being ahead of video. Have you set the Model 990's AV sync to zero? The PS3 may be creating a delay in audio when re-encoding the original audio to DTS, which could be compounded by the AV sync delay in the 990.

#86630 - 03/28/11 09:18 AM Re: Processor Delay [Re: gonk]
Zaigrith Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Yeah i guess that oppo has just been on my mind lately, I finally ordered the 95 smile . I did mean 990 not oppo. The audio delay on the 990 is set to 0.

Why would the ps3 re-encode the audio, I believe the blu-ray disk has a DTS track on it, unless it is converting from 7.1 to 5.1? The one Idea I had was to start using the dvi selector on the 990 but to be honest I would much rather avoid this. Does the DVI selector have any problems with 3d? Does it processes the video or is it just a connection? If its just a connection then it wont help my delay problem, and if it processes the video I would imagine the quality would be slightly degraded by the older technology so its kind of a loose loose here.

I will be using the oppo analog outputs soon so this problem may go away, but to be honest I have noticed the same thing happening on my other sources as well (particularly my fios DVR, and sometimes on the 360). Another Idea I had was to look for as many video processing enhancements as possible on the television and enable all of them, with the thought that I will be delaying the video by a few microseconds.

Any thoughts?

#86631 - 03/28/11 10:14 AM Re: Processor Delay [Re: Zaigrith]
KOYAAN Offline
Desperado

Loc: Sanford NC
The 990 doesn't do any processing on the DVI input. It just gives you switching capabilities.
I don't know of any way to delay the video, but as you mentioned, it's likely that the problem will go away when your using the BDP-95 instead of the PS3.
Pioneer Elite DV-47A
Magnavox HDMR513h DVR/DVD-R
Sony DVD megachangers-2
Sony CD megachangers-2
Monster power centers-2
Sony 48" rear projection SDTV
Roku video player
JVC AL-A158 Turntable
Polk RT-2000s,CS-650,XS-650s,RT80s
LFM-1EX
Hsu VTF-1
12" Velodyne

Family room:
OPPO 970
Sony 32" direct view HDTV
Denon 3801
Rolk RMs

#86632 - 03/28/11 11:12 AM Re: Processor Delay [Re: Zaigrith]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Originally Posted By: Zaigrith
Why would the ps3 re-encode the audio, I believe the blu-ray disk has a DTS track on it, unless it is converting from 7.1 to 5.1?

It has DTS-HD track (if my memory is working right this morning), so the player has two options for optical output: use the DTS core track or decode the DTS-HD track and re-encode. If the PS3 is trying to allow for secondary audio (menu clicks, etc.), then it will need to do the latter so it can add the secondary audio stream onto the original DTS-HD track.

The one Idea I had was to start using the dvi selector on the 990 but to be honest I would much rather avoid this. Does the DVI selector have any problems with 3d? Does it processes the video or is it just a connection? If its just a connection then it wont help my delay problem, and if it processes the video I would imagine the quality would be slightly degraded by the older technology so its kind of a loose loose here.

The DVI switching is purely a video pass-through. I haven't heard what luck folks have had using the DVI switching with 3D sources. In theory, it could work.

I will be using the oppo analog outputs soon so this problem may go away, but to be honest I have noticed the same thing happening on my other sources as well (particularly my fios DVR, and sometimes on the 360). Another Idea I had was to look for as many video processing enhancements as possible on the television and enable all of them, with the thought that I will be delaying the video by a few microseconds.

Any thoughts?

Video sync with the BDP-93 and BDP-95 has been pretty solid for a while now. It will be interesting to see what happens when you watch the same disc with the 95.

It's a little odd to me that you've noticed sync problems elsewhere that appeared to be video ahead of audio. I wonder if you have your speaker distances set correctly in the 990? A really high speaker distance setting on even one major channel (center or one of the fronts) might cause such an effect, although I don't recall ever experiencing it.

#86633 - 03/28/11 11:54 AM Re: Processor Delay [Re: gonk]
EEman Offline
Desperado

Loc: Canton, MI
Originally Posted By: gonk
It's a little odd to me that you've noticed sync problems elsewhere that appeared to be video ahead of audio.

I've noticed the same problem with my 970 and the hi-def cable box. I'm running component from the box to the TV and optical from the cable box to the 970. I also have the analog stereo output from the cable box running to the TV also. With both the TV audio and 970 audio playing there is a noticable delay through the 970. I know my lip sync is zero and my distances match what I measure.

The only config where I see this problem is when I'm using the optical inputs on the 970 (not too often). Maybe there's some extra delay to decode the digital optical? (I wouldn't be very suprised.)
LG 65" OLED
RR2150 w/Klipsch SCR-2

#86635 - 03/28/11 01:33 PM Re: Processor Delay [Re: EEman]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Originally Posted By: EEman
I've noticed the same problem with my 970 and the hi-def cable box. I'm running component from the box to the TV and optical from the cable box to the 970. I also have the analog stereo output from the cable box running to the TV also. With both the TV audio and 970 audio playing there is a noticable delay through the 970. I know my lip sync is zero and my distances match what I measure.

If you have both the TV speakers playing (fed straight from the cable box) and the 970 playing (fed from the cable box's optical output), I would assume you also have speaker distances set in the 970. If you do, those distances are a form of delay. The TV isn't applying any such delay.

#86637 - 03/28/11 04:20 PM Re: Processor Delay [Re: gonk]
EEman Offline
Desperado

Loc: Canton, MI
Gonk,
You are correct. But now I'm confused. Does this mean you should set the speaker distance to zero for the center and reference all other speakers off that distance?

#86638 - 03/28/11 06:41 PM Re: Processor Delay [Re: EEman]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
What you want, is to reference all of the speakers to the best seating positions in your viewing area. The 990 will do this in auto setup mode and is usually pretty close. If you want to do it manually then you will need a tape measure and a SPL level meter. Manual is generally more accurate, but auto is much easier. For most rooms you will change the settings slightly in either case because of the sound bouncing around the room. Experiment as much as you want, because you can always go back to the settings you have now. The 990 doesn't really have "room correction" as much as it has a usuable setup mode.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#86641 - 03/28/11 11:57 PM Re: Processor Delay [Re: EEman]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Originally Posted By: EEman
Gonk,
You are correct. But now I'm confused. Does this mean you should set the speaker distance to zero for the center and reference all other speakers off that distance?

I would suggest making sure you have accurate distances set first. The processor is calculating delays based on those distances, but it's not simply applying 1ms per foot because the farther distances needs less delay. Even with distances all set to zero, it's doubtful you'd have perfect audio sync between the 970's speakers and the TV's speakers, though. The differences will be small, but they'll probably be impossible to eliminate.

When you notice the difference between TV speakers and main speakers, I'd be curious to know what happens after you mute the TV speakers. Does the audio seem in sync with the video?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 112 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts