Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#8658 - 02/03/05 09:31 PM Advice on a system?
stilltrying Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: cary,NC
This seems to be the best place for this post (first post). I have been reading and learning alot on the outlaw forums. Currently I have a HTIB system, and I am looking to upgrade. I have learned that form and function come first, my room is 17x14, and I can do anything I want since the drywall isn't up yet. As far as function goes, I mostly watch DVD movies; occasionally listen to FM and CD music. I want to add an HD feed of some sort (cable/sat). I must mention that I have been contemplating my HT for a while and almost pulled the trigger on a 1050 a couple of years ago when I was cut off at the pass by a HTIB.

I have my sites focused on a 950/7100/LFM combo with outlaw interconnects. I start to become less confident about a speaker solution. I have heard good things about def tech speakers being a good match with the outlaw gear. Could I impose on the group for speaker recommendations. Also what speaker wiring solutions are recommended? Finally my DVD player is crap, any suggestions here.

#8659 - 02/03/05 09:50 PM Re: Advice on a system?
silversport Offline
Desperado

Loc: ChicagoLand/USA
just where you are a month or so ago...I like Klipsch and have been able to find some of their "Heritage" line to my liking and wallet...Klipsch Heresys...KLF C7 or Academy Center and KSF-S5 surrounds...check out www.klipsch.com for some more input...nice forum and they like Outlaw over there too...good luck!
Bill

...Let the Movies and Music Play...

#8660 - 02/03/05 10:02 PM Re: Advice on a system?
sraber Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Green Bay, WI
I don't think you can go wrong with the 950/7100/LFM combo.

You don't mention what your budget is for a DVD player. I recently purchased a Denon 2900 universal disc player and I'm very happy with it. I believe this model is a little over 1 year old and it sold for 1K when first introduced. It can be had now for under $600. While it does not have DVI or HDMI video output, it is still an amazing player for DVD, DVD-A and SACD. Worth every dollar and more IMHO.

Def Tech speakers are very nice speakers indeed. When I was auditioning speakers I tried a pair in my home theater. It just seemed that no matter how I set them up, they didn't sound right. Kind of muddy and boomy. This is most likely due to me not having them set up right and/or room acoustics as others swear by them. The B&Ws in my setup seemed to sound the best no matter what the toe-in, distance from wall, etc. So that's what I ended up with. And I am very happy with them.

Later,
sr
Outlaw Audio Model 2200 (center)
Rotel RMB-1075 (ss, rs)
f, B&W DM604S3
c, B&W LCR600S3
ss, B&W DM302
rs,Polk M3II
HSU VTF-3 MK3
APC H-15 Power Conditioner
Display: Panny PT-AE4000 Proj. + 92" DIY Screen
Little Dot MKIII Headphone Amp
Denon AH-D1100 Headphones (needed a quick, cheap set. looking for an upgrade worthy of the h/p amp.)

#8661 - 02/03/05 10:41 PM Re: Advice on a system?
stilltrying Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks for the reply sraber, regarding the dvd player, I see a lot of posts that prefer a Denon model, what does Denon do better than others? Auditioning speakers, that is interesting, how would one go about auditioning speakers.

Also, I am reading about the Klipsch line, thanks silversport.

#8662 - 02/04/05 07:44 AM Re: Advice on a system?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
As for Denon, I think a lot of their success has been due to their video sections. If you take at look at the Secrets DVD Benchmarks (which is a very standardized evaluation of video performance that has become extremely popular and well-regarded online), Denon consistently scores well, particularly with the mid- and high-end units.

One of the best ways to audition speakers is to find a local dealer (there should be several audio/video dealers in Raleigh) who carries the line you are interested in, gather up a few discs that you are familiar with (CD's and/or DVD's), and go to the dealer and ask to spend some time with the speakers you are interested in. They should set you up with a set (at least the mains) hooked up to a system and let you try out your discs. This is an excellent way to audition speakers such as Klipsch, DefTech, B&W, Paradigm (which I use and have been very happy with), Boston Acoustics, ...

Just to keep things confusing, there are also a few well-regarded brands of speaker available only through online stores (direct from the manufacturer, like Outlaw Audio): Axiom , Rocket , and a few others. There's a site ( AudioEnvy ) that can arrange for in-home demos of Rockets and a couple brands of subwoofer, and all of these companies typically offer 30-day return policies (so you can demo the speakers at home; if you choose not to get them, you are only out the cost of shipping).

#8663 - 02/04/05 09:59 AM Re: Advice on a system?
DNicely1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lincoln Park, Mi USA
I Have a 950/750 set up with Def Tech's and a Denon player and I couldn't be happier with it.while they are a little tricky to set up properly once you do, they sound great for both movies and music IMO. I agree with Gonk about auditioning speakers first, I spent many hours comparing brands I liked and even though the nearest Def Tech dealer is 50 miles away it was worth it.BTW, I pointed a friend toward Axiom audio and he is extremely happy with the M60's, and like Gonk said , they have a thirty day return policy.hope this helps

#8664 - 02/04/05 11:26 AM Re: Advice on a system?
highdraw Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Cincinnati
I think it's also important to note that each brand of speaker tends to have its own general personality. In other words, for example, Klipsch has an "in your face" type of demeanor; Paradigm, a laid back relaxed feel, Defintive has an open airy sound, whereas B&W seem to have a mellow tonal balance, etc. I realize these are huge generalizations vis-a-vie the various grades, and/or cabinet designs per manufacturer, room dynamics, speaker placement and so forth. However, having a sense that (at the very least) mass produced loudspeakers take on specific characterists by manufacturer can help narrow down the choices based on one's personal tastes. All this aside, it's the very best advice to audition. Audition, audition, audition, and let your senses decide. Moreover, if you can trial gear in your own space, then more the better.

#8665 - 02/04/05 12:00 PM Re: Advice on a system?
sraber Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Green Bay, WI
I agree with highdraw here. I was lucky enough to be able to audition my speakers at home which is the ideal scenario, but maybe not possible in all cases. For me it was a matter of giving the dealer my CC number and taking home the floor models of my choice. The dealer would only charge the CC if i decided to either purchase or run away with the speakers...

later,
sr
Outlaw Audio Model 2200 (center)
Rotel RMB-1075 (ss, rs)
f, B&W DM604S3
c, B&W LCR600S3
ss, B&W DM302
rs,Polk M3II
HSU VTF-3 MK3
APC H-15 Power Conditioner
Display: Panny PT-AE4000 Proj. + 92" DIY Screen
Little Dot MKIII Headphone Amp
Denon AH-D1100 Headphones (needed a quick, cheap set. looking for an upgrade worthy of the h/p amp.)

#8666 - 02/04/05 05:52 PM Re: Advice on a system?
stilltrying Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

This is fantastic thanks guys, you are helping me understand. I now know what to do and what to look for; highdraw's description is going to help put a "face" with the brand.

I think I am going to wire for 7.1 but initially hook up 5.1, what do you'll think? Also what kind of wires should I use?

DNicely1, do you use the Def Tech models that have the sub's built in? Any comments on this kind of configuration?

#8667 - 02/04/05 06:01 PM Re: Advice on a system?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I think wiring for 7.1 is a wise move if you can do it, even if you don't use the surround back initially. Depending on where you run the wires, you may want to use plenum rated cable, but otherwise all you need to look for is decent quality cable that is 14ga or so.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts