Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 31 of 32 < 1 2 29 30 31 32 >
Topic Options
#89424 - 02/15/12 09:54 AM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: Tracy Schmidt]
bobm Offline
Gunslinger

Hi:

>The only difference between us is I see the LAN as just another digital port to hook up my streaming devices, like my NAS or my computer.<

I am not sure if that is exactly the same thing, I connect my Cable, Squeezebox and BD into my 950. The 950 accepts those digital singles, processes the sound but it does not control the source, e.g. select tracks. Wouldn’t you need a UI of some sort on the processor to handle streaming even it is is done from another client? I certainly would not want to see the processor loaded down with Netflix Apps and the like.

I would like to see a network connection for firmware updates and a UI to control the processor itself. That would be usefull.

Bob

#89431 - 02/16/12 07:35 AM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: bobm]
Tracy Schmidt Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Quote:
Hi:

>The only difference between us is I see the LAN as just another digital port to hook up my streaming devices, like my NAS or my computer.<

Original poster bobm

I am not sure if that is exactly the same thing, I connect my Cable, Squeezebox and BD into my 950. The 950 accepts those digital singles, processes the sound but it does not control the source, e.g. select tracks.

Thats a good point. Although I am not sure if I can send music to a ethernet port on a pre/pro from my NAS or computer using my computer, or if I have to draw that music to the processor using its own interface. I don't have one with a LAN port yet. lol

Quote:
Wouldn’t you need a UI of some sort on the processor to handle streaming even it is is done from another client?

You know I just assumed it would come with a on screen UI at least for settings and setup. Its just a computer after all how tough would it be to add a simple UI. My eyes are getting old and a on screen UI is a must have for me.
I obviously need to read allot more on the 978 it keeps getting further and further away from me.

Quote:
I certainly would not want to see the processor loaded down with Netflix Apps and the like.

I agree I have little interest in this aspect of streaming as of right now. I really just need a connection for my NAS. However I think allot of people do internet streaming and I think very soon it will show huge growth. I also hope the quality of the feeds will vastly improve.

I am not sure that those small interface programs like netflix would have much influence on the pre/pro's processor. I don't know the technical aspect of those programs but they don't seem to affect the performance of my TV, blu-ray players, PS3,ect.

For me it boils down to, People who are going to purchase a pre/pro right now have a choice. Buy a processor with a ethernet port now or buy another one in 2 or 3 years when all pre/pro's will have ethernet capabilities. I am going with the LAN setup now so hopefully I wont need to upgrade in just a few years. I am sure that streaming to the processor is the future, But I could be wrong. lol

Tracy

Edited by Tracy Schmidt (02/16/12 11:08 AM)

#89432 - 02/16/12 12:52 PM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: Tracy Schmidt]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

Loc: Illinois
I suppose some folks want a prepro with a few terabytes of SSD storage and others would prefer one that has wireless connections and others want one with hooks into Pandora.

For me as long as the thing has great sound quality with a reasonable amount of digital and optical inputs, modern room correction and well documented list of IR codes I'll lay down a fair amount of cash...

#89433 - 02/16/12 01:04 PM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: renov8r]
Tracy Schmidt Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

digital and optical inputs and modern room correction. pretty cutting edge stuff.

I read a story about a guy who used hanger wire for his speaker cables maybe we could incorporate that.. lol

Tracy

Sorry EEman fixed it.

Edited by Tracy Schmidt (02/17/12 01:01 AM)

#89436 - 02/16/12 04:45 PM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: Tracy Schmidt]
EEman Offline
Desperado

Loc: Canton, MI
Originally Posted By: Tracy Schmidt

I read a store(story?) about a guy who used hanger wire for his speaker cables maybe we could incorporate that.. lol

Tracy

That was XenonMan laugh

heh heh j/k

#89439 - 02/16/12 05:59 PM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: EEman]
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
Maybe the hangers are made in the USA smile
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

#89440 - 02/16/12 06:12 PM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: Tracy Schmidt]
lawtalker Offline
Gunslinger

The hanger story first appeared (as far as I know) in an Audioholics forum:

Originally Posted By: savelife in the Audioholics Home Theater Forums
Keeping us blind folded, my brother switched out the Belden wire (are you ready for this) with simple coat hanger wire! Unknown to me and our 12 audiophile buddies, prior to the ABX blind test, he took apart four coat hangers, reconnectd them and twisted them into a pair of speaker cables. Connections were soldered. He stashed them in a closet within the testing room so we were not privy to what he was up to. This made for a pair of 2 meter cables, the exact length of the other wires. The test was conducted. After 5 tests, none could determine which was the Monster 1000 cable or the coat hanger wire. Further, when music was played through the coat hanger wire, we were asked if what we heard sounded good to us. All agreed that what was heard sounded excellent, however, when A-B tests occured, it was impossible to determine which sounded best the majority of the time and which wire was in use. Needless to say, after the blind folds came off and we saw what my brother did, we learned he was right...most of what manufactures have to say about their products is pure hype. It seems the more they charge, the more hyped it is.

#89442 - 02/16/12 07:55 PM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: lawtalker]
bobm Offline
Gunslinger

>However I think allot of people do internet streaming and I think very soon it will show huge growth.<
I agree but that is why I purchased the Squeezebox.

Bob

#89443 - 02/16/12 09:27 PM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: bobm]
ndskurfer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Bismarck, ND
100% agree with bobm's statement above. All my components (squeezebox, xbox, bdp) all have the network capability they are specifically designed for. I have network capability on my Onkyo (flac streaming), the Squeezebox is much better as it is integrated with my system in the living room as well.

Edited by ndskurfer (02/16/12 09:28 PM)

#89444 - 02/16/12 10:08 PM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: ndskurfer]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia
I think trying to sell a home theater processor in today's market without network connectivity is going to be a tough sell. That doesn't mean that it won't sell at all, but when everyone else has that feature....that might have flown a year ago, but not now.

Best,

Page 31 of 32 < 1 2 29 30 31 32 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 79 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM