Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 29 of 32 < 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 32 >
Topic Options
#88049 - 10/09/11 06:04 AM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: gonk]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
The balanced connections are mostly for noise rejection from external interference. I run the balanced connections to my 7500 but only because the cables were free and I didn't want to spent $$$ on interconnects which I think are usually more expensive than they are touted. I have both the 7125 and a 7500 and neither has an issue with interference. Good quality cable from BlueJeans cable will serve for either connection without killing your budget.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#88077 - 10/13/11 12:45 AM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: sdurani]
GaryB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Originally Posted By: sdurani
Originally Posted By: GaryB
I'll have to peruse fellow Canuck Floyd's musings over the weekend... too busy today.
Understood. It was just the two diagrams on page 8 that I was pointing to as relevant to this discussion, although the rest of the paper is a useful reference as and when you have the time to digest it.
Originally Posted By: GaryB
I'm certainly aware that phase and amplitude issues are hardly mutually exclusive. smile
Unfortunately, time domain correction is being marketed as an added feature to consumers that aren't aware that it happens automatically with amplitude domain correction in small rooms.

Just thought I'd mention that I did read Floyd Toole's paper a few days ago and while much of it was not news to me, it certainly is an excellent "back to basics" summary which, among other things, clearly makes the point (regarding the interrelationship of amplitude and time domain correction) to which Sanjay refers.

And thanks, Sanjay. smile

#88078 - 10/13/11 01:01 AM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: XenonMan]
GaryB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Originally Posted By: XenonMan
The balanced connections are mostly for noise rejection from external interference. I run the balanced connections to my 7500 but only because the cables were free and I didn't want to spent $$$ on interconnects which I think are usually more expensive than they are touted. I have both the 7125 and a 7500 and neither has an issue with interference. Good quality cable from BlueJeans cable will serve for either connection without killing your budget.

If, like me, one is planning to use Blue Jeans Cable interconnects, their balanced cable is actually just under 50% more than their high quality unbalanced cable ($71.50 vs. $48.50 for a 10 foot stereo pair). So in the overall context of an entire surround sound system, the extra outlay for selected runs of balanced cable shouldn't be too prohibitive.

#88330 - 11/13/11 12:28 AM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: GaryB]
Patrick Williams Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Brewster, NY USA
One feature I sure hope the 978 will have - the ability to just do a simple pass through of video with no processing at all, especially on the HDMI inputs.

#89233 - 01/29/12 01:03 PM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: Brandon B]
DrRx Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Can anyone tell me if the 978 will have HDMI pass-through when the unit is in "standby" mode (or off)? I am hoping that it will support using my TV (which would be connected via HDMI to the cable box THROUGH the 978) for both audio and video such that the kids/wife don't need to engage the full 7.1 system just to watch (and hear!) the news.

#89340 - 02/11/12 09:49 AM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: DrRx]
Tracy Schmidt Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hello

First post here, I have been reading and waiting for several months now on the 978 "I know its a short time compared to allot of you"

but anyway somehow I had missed the fact that the 978 will not have network capabilities. Is this the general consensus was there some kind of announcement stating this? And then the pictures backed that statement up?

I feel like an idiot, I talked my Nephew into waiting for this processor and we both improved our home networks with NAS and Gigabit adaptors. lol

We were planning to upgrade our networks anyway so we could stream music and video but I guess not with the 978.

Maybe I will just tell him the 978 has been released and it didn't show very well..Ha Ha

I don't really trust the new Emotiva pre/pro coming out so maybe the Marantz.

Tracy

#89353 - 02/12/12 09:53 AM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: Tracy Schmidt]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

Loc: Illinois
Personally I don't feel a network streaming device is a "good fit" to be incorporated into any pre-pro. The shifting sands of technology in that area mean you can get devices for well under $99 that may or may not be obsolete in a VERY short time. A quality pre-pro ought to last nearly forever...

#89355 - 02/12/12 10:15 AM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: renov8r]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
I agree with Renov8r!! Processors should attempt to become universal connections for support devices such as streaming. The ability of large companies to provide whole lines of devices with varied capabilities means that in 6 months or so those devices are eclipsed by some newer model with a new version of some support device. In order to maintain those processors in the price point the designers make the primary mission of the processor weaker in performance. An all in one HTIB unit can be had which will stream and connect to your iPod and HTPC and play CD/DVD/Blurays all at the expense of quality audio and video.. In 6 months or so it will also e obsolete. I think HDMI is a creation of those people who are willing to upgrade.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#89359 - 02/12/12 01:01 PM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: XenonMan]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia
While having a network connection on the pre-pro isn't mandatory, you've got to admit that it has become de rigeur for mid-tier and higher end consumer gear. Would I use it? Probably not. However, it does open up some opportunities:

1. painless network firmware upgrades
2. streaming media from local devices over the network (pads/phones/NAS/etc)
3. alternate control method for the unit (there's nifty android and Iphone/Ipad remote control software out there for a wide variety of receivers)

One of the disadvantages of being this late to the party is that you might miss out on some of the more "cutting edge" convenience features like network connectivity in an effort to speed things along. Not a particularly important feature for me, but that's the way the consumer market seems to be heading.

#89360 - 02/12/12 01:02 PM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: renov8r]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: renov8r
Personally I don't feel a network streaming device is a "good fit" to be incorporated into any pre-pro. The shifting sands of technology in that area mean you can get devices for well under $99 that may or may not be obsolete in a VERY short time. A quality pre-pro ought to last nearly forever...

Like the 990? smile Time marches on.

Page 29 of 32 < 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 32 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 184 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts