Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 13 of 32 < 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 31 32 >
Topic Options
#86438 - 03/09/11 06:50 PM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: pepar]
GaryB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Originally Posted By: pepar
No DSX seems to point to a basic implementafion of Audyssey, albeit an XT 32 one.

Do we know for a fact that there's no DSX? I don't see a reason why the 978 couldn't support the 7.1 Surround configurations of DSX, if Outlaw decides to license the technology.

#86440 - 03/09/11 11:02 PM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: GaryB]
Wrong Hombre Offline
Gunslinger

#86441 - 03/09/11 11:37 PM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: Wrong Hombre]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
DTS Neo:X is brand new technology, not even available anywhere at the moment. It's vanishingly rare to find a small manufacturer that gets to be first to market with new tech like that. Outlaw got lucky once and was among the first with Pro Logic II on the Model 950. Given today's marketplace, that's not likely to happen again. Onkyo is mentioned as the manufacturer that's likely to be first to market with it. I've owned some Onkyo gear, and it's pretty good stuff, but the truth of the matter is that they've made their mark on the marketplace largely through quantity of features: if there's a feature you can think of, they'll probably try to shove it into their flagship tier and let it trickle down from there. That's just the way they are, and it has helped them claw their way up to a point of prominence in the receiver market.

Outlaw can't constantly postpone new products like this to add every new product that appears. That does not necessarily mean they are behind the pack or obsolete at release date. Some people will opt for the latest receiver from Onkyo with all those bells and whistles, which is what those people need. For example, someone who wants a 9.1 or 11.1 theater won't want the Model 978. They won't want the Marantz AV7005 or Anthem AVM50v, either. Other people will opt for the Model 978 instead of an 11.1 Onkyo, and they will likely do so even though the Model 978 won't have all the bells and whistles. In place of the laundry list feature set, we expect that the Model 978 will offer better raw audio and video performance. It's all a balancing act. Just like your computer or cell phone will be outdated in some way a month (or a day) after you buy it, so to will your surround processor.

It isn't mentioned in the article, but Neo:X is doing the same thing that Audyssey's been doing with DSX for a while now. It may do so better, but it may not. Neo:6 has struggled in moderate obscurity behind Pro Logic II and IIx for almost a decade now. It will be curious to see if Neo:X can improve on DTS's reputation in this area.

#86442 - 03/10/11 07:07 AM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: gonk]
Patrick Williams Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Brewster, NY USA
I agree with Gonk 100%. There is no way on earth Outlaw can compete feature wise with a company like Onkyo. However, Outlaw CAN hit the sweet spot - enough features to keep MOST 5.1 or 7.1 users happy, while providing glitch free operation and top notch sound quality. If you take what many consider the BEST SOUNDING pre/pros (Lexicon, Classe, Anthem, Krell) The feature set on the 978 is right there with them (In some cases better.) The little things count, too - for example, looking at the back of the 978 it has a "digital out" jack - many recievers and pre/pros today omit this, but I'm glad it will be there. Also, there is a headphone jack, and some here have said they would not be shocked if the 978 contained Dolby Headphone.

#86448 - 03/10/11 04:59 PM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: GaryB]
pepar Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: On an island
Originally Posted By: GaryB
No DSX seems to point to a basic implementafion of Audyssey, albeit an XT 32 one.

Do we know for a fact that there's no DSX? I don't see a reason why the 978 couldn't support the 7.1 Surround configurations of DSX, if Outlaw decides to license the technology.

DSX *is* the Wides and/or the Heights. It doesn't do anything to the "main" 7.1 channels. I guess one could forego the rear surrounds in lieu of Wides or Heights, but the labeling on the pic says "Rear Surrounds."

Jeff

Edited by pepar (03/10/11 05:03 PM)

#86450 - 03/10/11 05:18 PM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: pepar]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
DSX *is* the Wides and/or the Heights. It doesn't do anything to the "main" 7.1 channels. I guess one could forego the rear surrounds in lieu of Wides or Heights, but the labeling on the pic says "Rear Surrounds."

Jeff

But previous announcements indicated that they plan to include PLIIz, which means the "rear surround" outputs are likely going to be able to be re-assigned as height channels. In that scenario, they could also be assigned to "DSX height" or "DSX wide" instead.

That being said, I don't know how likely it is that we'll see DSX appear on the Model 978, especially since they've made no mention of DSX. XT32 was a very late addition, and since the processor is focusing mainly on 7.1 they may have decided not to bother with DSX when they already had PLIIz.

#86453 - 03/10/11 10:13 PM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: gonk]
Orangeman Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: gonk
... which means the "rear surround" outputs are likely going to be able to be re-assigned as height channels.

Peter said this in another thread: The 978 will be a 7.1 device. As with the Marantz AV7005 the two back channels can be switched to height channels instead. Your choice.

#86454 - 03/11/11 12:58 AM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: Orangeman]
cp1966 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Minneapolis
For the record, not a fan of the new 978 photo. I know outlaw has been conservative with looks in the past, but ouch!

2 years ago some pictures were posted of the 997, and it looked VERY cool! They may not have been "official" from Outlaw, but there were many positive comments on it.

Having been waiting for several years I was still very interested in getting the new model and selling my Onkyo 886, but the look of the 978 is a downer.

Sorry, thats just me.

Edited by cp1966 (03/11/11 01:00 AM)
Panasonic TC-P65S1 65" Plasma HDTV, Marantz AV 8801 Preamp, Outlaw 7700 Amp, Klipsch RF7 (X-over dean G modded) RC7 (X-over Dean G modded) RS7 CDT-5800C speakers, Outlaw LFM1 EX Subwoofer, Oppo BDP-93, B & O Turntable, Toshiba HD-A2, Sony CD & DVD 400 disc jukeboxes, DirecTV HD-DVR, PS2, PS3, Wii, Harmony one remote, Monster PowerBar 1200 for the TV, sub, PS3, HD DVD and Wii, Tripp Lite Isolation Bar for the Amp, Pre-Amp and other sources.

#86455 - 03/11/11 02:53 AM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: pepar]
GaryB Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: GaryB

I see that gonk and Orangeman have already answered for me. I was, of course, implying foregoing the Rear Surrounds in favor of Wides or Heights (the latter as suggested by PeterT) just as Audyssey does for their DSX 7.1 Surround configurations, which retain only the "main" 5.1 channels. The current labelling is a little misleading, I agree, but could easily be changed to a more generic "Surr2 R" and "Surr2 L" or suchlike, using the existing nomenclature for the "main" surrounds.

gonk's point regarding not bothering with DSX when PLIIz is already included is well taken, especially if adding DSX would incur additional licensing fees, although dispensing with DSX would mean no "Wide" option.

Edited by GaryB (03/11/11 03:20 PM)
Edit Reason: clarity: rethought alternative surround names

#86456 - 03/11/11 03:09 AM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: cp1966]
GaryB Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: cp1966
2 years ago some pictures were posted of the 997, and it looked VERY cool! They may not have been "official" from Outlaw, but there were many positive comments on it.

The only pic I've ever seen of the 997 (and which is still on the Outlaw Products page under "Discontinued Items") is a duplicate of the 990.

For the record, I'm quite satisfied with the uncluttered, understated look of the 978.

Page 13 of 32 < 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 31 32 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 150 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts