Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 8 of 32 < 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 31 32 >
Topic Options
#86293 - 03/02/11 07:36 PM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: EricTheBlue]
Smarty-pants Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hmmm, the logos would be a tough choice for me to say yay or nay if it were my option.
I definitely like the understated of the unit, but it almost too plain.
Maybe the logos currently at the bottom could be moved INSIDE of that cover panel,
and then along the bottom could place some SMALL logos.
The silver volume knob is a bit much too for me personally.
I don't mind a little mix of silver buttons, but I'd prefer the knob to be black.
Either that of change the color of silver to a darker color of silver for all the buttons and knob.
The knob just seems to stand out a bit too much... though maybe some logos along the bottom would help to offset that too.
Just food for thought. ;-)

#86294 - 03/02/11 08:46 PM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: Smarty-pants]
happy2 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NH
Yes, I liked the picture of the all black 998 faceplate, with what looked like a deeper design inset.

#86297 - 03/02/11 11:10 PM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: EricTheBlue]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Originally Posted By: EricTheBlue
A comment and two questions:
Though any form of virtual input (VI) will be welcome, I hope Outlaw implements two features at minimum beyond VI labeling. The first is the ability to map a single physical input to multiple VI's. This would be very useful for owners (like me) who use a multi-function HTPC as a source. Related to input mapping, it would also be nice if different default surround modes could be assigned to individual VI's. Outlaw could do a lot more beyond this with VI's, but these two features would suffice for me.

I would agree that being able to map one connection to multiple inputs can be useful - the Model 990 did this, and I used it several times.

Questions:
* Does anyone know if both HDMI outputs can be active at once?

I doubt that both HDMI outputs will be active at once - the vast majority of dual-output processors only output to one of them at a time. Splitting HDMI is a messy proposition, especially when the two signals are going to displays that support different resolutions.

My HTPC can definitely output FLAC (ripped from CDs), but I don't know if FLAC decoding is a standard feature on receivers and prepros yet.

FLAC is a file type, much like AAC or WMA or MP3. Does your HTPC actually output the file's undecoded data over any connection? I would think it would have to at least decode into stereo or multichannel PCM before outputting over coaxial, optical, or HDMI. I could be wrong, though - haven't tried to set up an HTPC like this before.

#86299 - 03/03/11 11:49 AM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: gonk]
EricTheBlue Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Denver CO
It won't be a show stopper for me if both HDMI outputs cannot be active simultaneously. My Denon AVP-A1 prepro does support this and I think it also offers different resolutions per output (but both of my display resolutions are identical so I'm not sure about this).

My HTPC does bitstream the FLAC format directly via HDMI (the AVP-A1 displays the input signal as such), and because the signal can be manipulated by the prepro's DSP, I'm pretty sure that FLAC>PCM conversion occurs internally. Marantz's AV7005 supports FLAC input, so I don't think it would be a stretch for the 978 to do so as well.

#86301 - 03/03/11 12:23 PM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: Smarty-pants]
EricTheBlue Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: Smarty-pants
Hmmm, the logos would be a tough choice for me to say yay or nay if it were my option.
I definitely like the understated of the unit, but it almost too plain.
Maybe the logos currently at the bottom could be moved INSIDE of that cover panel,
and then along the bottom could place some SMALL logos.
The silver volume knob is a bit much too for me personally.
I don't mind a little mix of silver buttons, but I'd prefer the knob to be black.
Either that of change the color of silver to a darker color of silver for all the buttons and knob.
The knob just seems to stand out a bit too much... though maybe some logos along the bottom would help to offset that too.
Just food for thought. ;-)

I like the styling overall as hip-retro, but I agree with you about the volume knob and buttons. I think a dark-silver (titanium) finish would provide a very eloquent look. It would be double-eloquent if Outlaw could do a metal veneer for the volume control where the owner could see and feel metal grain. In the interest of practical cost, the buttons could simply be painted.

As for surround labeling on the front, I personally could live without it, but I think I recall some equipment vendors at CES a few years ago telling me that the surround labels were required as part of the license for using the codecs. I have no idea if this mandate would apply to Outlaw or not.

#86304 - 03/03/11 01:08 PM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: EricTheBlue]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
They may have to put those logos somewhere, but the rear panel may be an acceptable location to satisfy licensing agreements...

#86305 - 03/03/11 01:10 PM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: EricTheBlue]
casey01 Offline
Gunslinger

It is interesting to note although there is a composite video out to other zones, there is component video "in" BUT no "out".
This unit is obviously previewing the final demise of analog video connections.

#86307 - 03/03/11 01:42 PM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: casey01]
EricTheBlue Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: casey01
It is interesting to note although there is a composite video out to other zones, there is component video "in" BUT no "out".
This unit is obviously previewing the final demise of analog video connections.

I noticed that too and agree with this direction for the most part. However, I think phono, analog CD, and multi-channel analog input will have to be supported for the foreseeable future. Conversely, I would not be surprised if component disappeared from receivers within the next generation or two of receivers/prepros. I also wouldn't be surprised if the number of coax and toslink connectors are reduced-but not eliminated-in the next generation or two.

#86308 - 03/03/11 01:54 PM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: gonk]
EricTheBlue Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: gonk
They may have to put those logos somewhere, but the rear panel may be an acceptable location to satisfy licensing agreements...

Perhaps, but if I could imagine myself as a marketing rep for Audyssey or Dolby Labs, and had a contract with a given AV vendor to display my codec logo on product X, I'd be pretty insistent about having the logos in the most visible location. To do otherwise would largely defeat the purpose for requiring logos in the first place.

#86310 - 03/03/11 04:18 PM Re: Current 978 Feature List [Re: EricTheBlue]
pepar Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: On an island
No RJ45 or RS-232...

I have emailed Audyssey to ask if their MultEQ Pro (the Pro kit) ever interfaces via USB. Not Pro-ready is a deal breaker for me...

Jeff

Page 8 of 32 < 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 31 32 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts