Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#86203 - 02/26/11 06:35 PM Surrounds to match Outlaw LCR
nurhaci Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: St. Louis MO
Since the demise of Snell and likely end of the Outlaw SL (please correct me if I'm wrong on this assumption), what are people using for surround speakers?

Any inside dope on the manufacturer model # of the drivers? Perhaps a decent timbre match can be made with a different brand, unless Snell used their own designs.

#86207 - 02/27/11 08:55 AM Re: Surrounds to match Outlaw LCR [Re: nurhaci]
H Stevens Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Rhode Island
Contact PeterT an inquire about the Atlantic Technology's 4400 SR.

Since Atlantic Tech is the parent company, maybe the Outlaw surrounds and the 4400's are close in timbre.

Also, call Outlaw and speak with Scott. I imagine that both Scott and PeterT have probably listened to both models and could give you some insight.

One last thought, Gonk replaced his Paradigm's with the Outlaw bookshelf's and an LCR. Find out what he had for rear surrounds before the Outlaw SR's. I believe he tried the Axiom's.

#86208 - 02/27/11 01:09 PM Re: Surrounds to match Outlaw LCR [Re: H Stevens]
PeterT Offline
Gunslinger

Actually, Atlantic is NOT the parent company. There is no corporate connection. I do work for both companies but each company is separate and are located 25 miles away from each other.

That said, the Atlantic 4400 SR's are a pretty good match for the Outlaw LCR's. Several of my colleagues have combined the two models in home theater set-ups and are very happy.

Peter

#86209 - 02/27/11 01:25 PM Re: Surrounds to match Outlaw LCR [Re: PeterT]
H Stevens Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Rhode Island
Thank you for the correction PeterT, I apologize for posting incorrect information.

#86211 - 02/27/11 04:01 PM Re: Surrounds to match Outlaw LCR [Re: H Stevens]
nurhaci Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Peter, thanks for the quick reply and recommendation. I should have been more specific in my question, but I really need a recommendation for in-ceiling or in-wall surrounds that would match fairly well with the LCR. Would Atlantic built-in models work in this regard?

Can you update us on the future of manufacture/availability of the LCR? The last tidbit I read is that you were exploring other manufacturer options.

#86212 - 02/27/11 05:22 PM Re: Surrounds to match Outlaw LCR [Re: nurhaci]
nortynorty Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
I am using Mirage Omnican 5's as my in ceiling surrounds complimenting my 3 Outlaw LCR's. In my room it meets my need quite well and is unobtrusive which contributes to the WAF.

#86214 - 02/27/11 07:09 PM Re: Surrounds to match Outlaw LCR [Re: nortynorty]
nurhaci Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I have used the Omnicans before, and they're on my short list for this arrangement. Do you find them to be a good timbre match, or am I looking too critically at this aspect for surround speakers?

#86215 - 02/27/11 08:09 PM Re: Surrounds to match Outlaw LCR [Re: nurhaci]
nortynorty Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
For gunshots/explosions, helicopters/planes/trains, crowds, rain/weather effects I find the match to be well suited. I'd be more concerned about mixing the fronts with the center. From my perspective, the Omnicans work well as surrounds.

#86216 - 02/27/11 10:59 PM Re: Surrounds to match Outlaw LCR [Re: nortynorty]
nurhaci Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks, your confirmation of their effectiveness is appreciated.

Anyone else care too chime in with an opinion or experience finding synergy between the LCR and another brand surround?

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts