Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#8599 - 01/16/05 11:50 AM Re: DLP tv's, Your view?
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
i wouldnt say that all channels will be HD in the very near future, maybe the term in future would be more accurate.

when that time comes, i think that there will be a new technology out there (extremeHD or whatever it will be called :-p), so yes HD tvs will come down in price. supply and demand holds true in electronics like everything else.

the effect is more noticeable on some sets than others, but it is evident with critical viewing. i guess it helps to know what to look for. dont just be wowed by how great HD is, it is pretty much that great on all HD sets. i.e. dont look at the whole picture, but look at parts of the picture checking for problems like we mentioned above. or color bleeding, jagged edges, hot spots, color saturation, black blacks, etc. watching some HD football on Fox will let you see the effect, just look at the grass when they are filming from a whole field perspective and panning...

#8600 - 01/16/05 11:52 PM Re: DLP tv's, Your view?
kugumby Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: St. Louis, MO USA
I think the farther away your viewing distance is, the less you'll notice the grain effect. I'm at 10' and don't have a problem with it. (Meaning, I do see it, but it doesn't bother me. It's a very slight grainy texture.) HD still looks fabulous.

I believe the FCC was going to make HD broadcasts mandatory by the end of 2006 (or therebouts), however, they've backed off that a bit in the last year. There's a lot more programming in HD than there was last year and I expect that to continue. From a Dish standpoint, their problem is one of bandwidth. So I don't think you'll see them adding a ton of channels anytime soon. (Unless Dish or Direct TV buy up Voom to increase their bandwidth....and more than likely their fees.)

You'll find some programming on network TV every night that is broadcast in HD and with the 6 or so channels on the Dish, there's usually something to watch.

#8601 - 01/17/05 08:34 PM Re: DLP tv's, Your view?
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

AT LEAST the major sporting events are HD... that in and of itself gives me my money's worth. it is a shame that networks are too lazy, err cheap to broadcast more HD programming though. the tv makers should give them incentives, so that they could sell more HD tvs and that way everyone wins (including consumers).

#8602 - 01/24/05 10:34 PM Re: DLP tv's, Your view?
NJtunastick Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: central N.J.
After looking at all tv available in the up to $3,500. range I finally found the one (at least that I like). Samsung HL-P5085W. This 50" is set on a built-in narrow stand that houses the projector and "guts". I didn't like the idea of having to live with this stand (I was planning on buying a nice wood furnature table stand), but with the projector mounted lower in the stand and the HD2+chip it makes this picture perfect. I watched HD basketball game, HD discovery and non-HD channels. All of the pictures looked GREAT! I watched this set against numerous sets and it was
the only one that I couldn't even find screen- door effect. You guys are right, most sets looked horribly grainy with the screen-door effect, but not the 5085. I was so impressed after watching for about an hour I can't imagine a better picture. Even the plasma's didn't look as good except for two that were over $6,500. Well waiting for delivery and I'll post again after it arrives. I noticed there's not too many good comments about dlp's and lcd's around in here, but if anyones considering...Check out this HL-P5085w.

#8603 - 02/16/05 12:03 AM Re: DLP tv's, Your view?
talismax Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Southlake, TX
I have the 61" Samsung DLP. It's the 2nd generation model HLN617W. It's fantastic. It is quiet, well-made and doesn't have the screen door effect.

I'm going to buy another one for the bedroom when they come out with the next 1080P chip from TI. I have a friend with the latest generation 50" Samsung and his is also flawless.

If you play alot of games and/or have kids I really recommend a DLP because it is impossible to burn in.

One other thing: it only weighs 105 lbs. so it is easy to setup and/or move around. We moved last June and I could fit it in our Honda Element with no problems.

Good luck,

talismax

#8604 - 02/16/05 02:30 AM Re: DLP tv's, Your view?
wingnut4772 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Miami
I have the 56" Samsung HLP "Kirk Model" with the pedestal . I LOVE it .The picture is awesome and the HD is almost 3D. I have Voom so even Standard Def. Is not too bad. I have not had any problems with it but I did purchase the 5 year warranty and would recommend anyone else to do so too.

#8605 - 02/17/05 11:14 AM Re: DLP tv's, Your view?
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

id recommend everyone to give me the money for their five year warranty and ill "hold it" for you. lol

i guess with a Sammie you never know when something weird will happen though.

#8606 - 02/17/05 04:21 PM Re: DLP tv's, Your view?
wingnut4772 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Miami
I have heard they can be tricky but(knock on wood) no problems so far.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM