Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#85987 - 02/09/11 09:51 PM Samsung LCD power supply
Grog Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Greenville, SC
Does anyone have any experience/info/advise about the samsung power supply nightmare? Seems half the samsung LCD owners out there are having the same issue, it's all over the web with thousands of complaints, and lots of different advise. Seems basically samsung won't stand behind their product and the only "fixes" are do it yourself kits or hire a TV repair tech to replace defective supply box with same (but new) defective supply box. Very frustrating! Any advise/info or direction would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Grog

#85996 - 02/10/11 10:14 AM Re: Samsung LCD power supply [Re: Grog]
EEman Offline
Desperado

Loc: Canton, MI
For various political reasons Samsung is on my "Do not buy from" list.

However I have an LG 32" LCD with a similar story, burned up power supply with the following options:
1. Go out and buy a new driver chip and better caps and rework the board.
2. Hire someone to repair it for a little less than the price of a new one.
Or what I did.
3. Purchase complete new power supply board for ~$50 and hope for the best.

I took the TV apart, removed the power supply board (1 PCB and 3 connectors) and googled the part number. I ended up finding what I needed at Shopjimmy.com

Note: TV's been working fine for about half a year now.

Edited by EEman (02/10/11 01:42 PM)

#86003 - 02/10/11 10:36 PM Re: Samsung LCD power supply [Re: EEman]
Grog Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Greenville, SC
Thanks, EEman. Haven't decided for sure what we're going to do yet, but I appreciate the input. I'm thinking of granting samsung the benefit of the doubt, call their tech support and politely ask them to send me a power supply free or real cheap since it's so obviously defective and disgustingly widespread. If they won't help me out I'm going to add them to my "do not buy from" list and via facebook and twitter I'm going to very quickly influence the future purchasing decisions of quite a few folks.

#86007 - 02/11/11 11:52 AM Re: Samsung LCD power supply [Re: Grog]
KOYAAN Offline
Desperado

Loc: Sanford NC
I'm glad you guys brought this up. I'm entering the market for a new display and this will eliminate Samsung from the list of choices.
Pioneer Elite DV-47A
Magnavox HDMR513h DVR/DVD-R
Sony DVD megachangers-2
Sony CD megachangers-2
Monster power centers-2
Sony 48" rear projection SDTV
Roku video player
JVC AL-A158 Turntable
Polk RT-2000s,CS-650,XS-650s,RT80s
LFM-1EX
Hsu VTF-1
12" Velodyne

Family room:
OPPO 970
Sony 32" direct view HDTV
Denon 3801
Rolk RMs

#86011 - 02/11/11 03:49 PM Re: Samsung LCD power supply [Re: KOYAAN]
edcrash1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fairfield, CT (Suburb of NYC)
I had the purple fuzz/power problem with my Samsung (listed below in my signature) a couple weeks ago. I diagnosed the problem via the internet by Googling "purple fuzz" (which was the first manifistation) and anticipated the related power problem which occurred a week or so later. Therefore, I read the various fixes and reviewed the related videos and pictures, and simply bought the 5 capacitors (for a few bucks) and fixed it myself. I have never done any soldering before, but was careful and fixed the problem easily and it has worked now for a couple weeks. In hind sight, the problem and issue was admittedly a hassle, but fixing it was kind of fun. I guess I had a sense of accomplishment in being a neophyte and being able to diagnose the problem, confirm it visually once the TV was apart, and then actually fix it. I did not have to hassle with Samsung or a repair shop, nor incur the expense and risk of breakage by sending/taking in for repair. Admittedly it would be nice to have Samsung own up to the problem, but I believe the do-it-yourself approach on this isolated problem (they had a large batch of bad capacitors) is the preferred method to avoid hassle and shipping expense. Also, I really like my Samsung and thus I am not sure I would shy away from Samsung in the future based on this problem of bad capacitors. I am usually a pretty tough consumer (because I value customer service and will pay for it), but this is one problem that I could easily fix on my own, and thus I do not feel very put out by it.

Ed.

Edited by edcrash1 (02/11/11 03:58 PM)
Apple TV w/750 gb HD music server
Universal MX-810
Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR
Blue Jeans Cables

Who's Online
0 registered (), 140 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts