Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#85982 - 02/09/11 06:01 PM Re: Flexible RCA cables [Re: gonk]
Bill O Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Missouri
Originally Posted By: gonk
What EEman describes is similar to what I did with our cabinet. I created cut-outs behind the power amp and surround processor, and I have contemplated doing something similar behind the Blu-ray player since I am still hooking up my player via multichannel analog as well as HDMI.

in post # 13 there are some pictures as to what this cabinet looks like http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1173635
This is exactly what I am having built here localy. The open back in the first picture shows what it is I am dealing with. Stiff cables will be a problem. Drilling holes in the back panel is not what I prefer to do.

#85983 - 02/09/11 07:07 PM Re: Flexible RCA cables [Re: gonk]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Blue Jeans has this on their site. It is more flexible than others and will work fine for your application. If you really need extra flexibility, I suggest getting the cables long enough so you can let them rest on the floor for support and then they can avoid real sharp bends and twists. Just remember to keep some distance between them and power cords for best performance. You could also try removing the back panel altogether. Cutting more/bigger holes is what I would try first.

Belden 1505F:
Belden 1505F was our recommended audio cable prior to the introduction of LC-1. It also has double-braid shielding, and is a bit thinner, more flexible, and more economical. If you will be wanting to have your audio cables bundled together in Techflex wrap (see below), we recommend 1505F because LC-1 becomes quite thick and heavy when bundled and can pull hard on equipment jacks. View the technical specs for Belden 1505F.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#85986 - 02/09/11 09:02 PM Re: Flexible RCA cables [Re: XenonMan]
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
I looked at you pictures (that is a very nice credenza). It looks like from the picture where the back of the credenza is shown, that you need to route the cables through the large predrilled and finished holes either down or across the back into another bay. Is that correct? If so, I believe the Monoprice premium RG-6 based cables would easy be flexible enough. They are certainly cheap enough that you shouldn't really be hurt by ordering one and testing it.
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

#85989 - 02/09/11 11:44 PM Re: Flexible RCA cables [Re: 73Bruin]
Bill O Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: 73Bruin
I looked at you pictures (that is a very nice credenza). It looks like from the picture where the back of the credenza is shown, that you need to route the cables through the large predrilled and finished holes either down or across the back into another bay. Is that correct? If so, I believe the Monoprice premium RG-6 based cables would easy be flexible enough. They are certainly cheap enough that you shouldn't really be hurt by ordering one and testing it.

It is correct.

#85991 - 02/10/11 01:10 AM Re: Flexible RCA cables [Re: Bill O]
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
I should have posted that if you buy a single monoprice cable, you can also determine if these cables are of sufficient quality to meet your needs. Besides Blue Jeans and Monoprice, Outlaw has its own line of interconnects plus resells part of the Perfect Path line.

Edited by 73Bruin (02/10/11 01:11 AM)
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

#85994 - 02/10/11 09:59 AM Re: Flexible RCA cables [Re: 73Bruin]
EEman Offline
Desperado

Loc: Canton, MI
Wow. That looks like a challenging run.

What about using some Right Angle Adapters for the connects close to the hole? Some combination of right angle and straight cables might get you what you need.

Looks to me like you are going to run out of room real quick.

#85997 - 02/10/11 01:29 PM Re: Flexible RCA cables [Re: EEman]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I was thinking about right angle adapters, too, but those create a whole separate problem with wiring (namely conflicts with adjacent connections).

This may be the engineer in me pushing against aesthetics, but I am a big proponent of having decent access to the back of my gear. It makes ventilation better, it reduces headaches during setup, it leads to fewer mis-connections and loose connections, and it tends to make for tidier wiring.

How will you access the units to make the connections? Will they have to slide out (meaning you need 18" of slack to allow the equipment to come forward while remaining connected), or do you have a way of connecting the gear once it's on the shelf?

#86000 - 02/10/11 09:15 PM Re: Flexible RCA cables [Re: gonk]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
My 990 and 886 are too deep for my cabinet so I built a shelf extension on the back of the cabinet and cut the back panel out to allow the whole back of the 990 to stick out back. It made for great ventilation but it also makes it a lot easier to access. I use right angle connectors for my sub inputs and can tell you they won't work on the back of your gear because they take up so much space and they are not deep enough to let your cables attach without a lot of stress on the jacks.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#86005 - 02/11/11 11:16 AM Re: Flexible RCA cables [Re: gonk]
Bill O Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: gonk
I was thinking about right angle adapters, too, but those create a whole separate problem with wiring (namely conflicts with adjacent connections).

This may be the engineer in me pushing against aesthetics, but I am a big proponent of having decent access to the back of my gear. It makes ventilation better, it reduces headaches during setup, it leads to fewer mis-connections and loose connections, and it tends to make for tidier wiring.

How will you access the units to make the connections? Will they have to slide out (meaning you need 18" of slack to allow the equipment to come forward while remaining connected), or do you have a way of connecting the gear once it's on the shelf?

My equipment will slide in from the back asthere is a removable panel.
I could be happy hving all my gear sitting on cinder block with wood planks. It is my wife of 37 years that has a problem with it. I am no closer to winning this battle than I was 37 years ago. Aesthetics is everything to her, and seeng wires is a phobia she has yet to overcome.
Some of my " cheap " rca cables will work fine but are over 30 years old, so failures with them could be more problematic as time goes on. I plan on replacing all of them .
The flexibility I am looking for that, I can make work, is that of Radio Shack Sub cable
The sub cable has no markings.

#86006 - 02/11/11 11:43 AM Re: Flexible RCA cables [Re: Bill O]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I'd suggest ordering a couple sample cables from MonoPrice and Blue Jeans (the Belkin 1505F that is available for analog audio as well as digital audio & video), testing them, and then ordering a batch of new cables once you find ones that have the combination of flexibility and sufficiently short plugs that you need.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 157 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts