Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#85849 - 01/30/11 03:28 PM Digital Media for MP3
Jamesgang4 Offline
Gunslinger

As anyone had any experience with the Western Digital media player WDAAVN00BN or similar product. I have a ton of music on my PC that I would like to transfer to a external hard drive. I understand the Western media player will work with any external hard drive. My current 200 Kenwood CD changer does not sound bad but is getting a little old. I am wondering what sound quality I would get with such a device thru my 970/7125.
Dish - DVR
OPPO DV-981HD
Kenwood 200 CD Changer
(2) Dayton 12" 500W Subs

#85850 - 01/30/11 03:51 PM Re: Digital Media for MP3 [Re: Jamesgang4]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
I keep all of my digiatal music on a 1 TB external hard drive. I use iTunes to play it and transfer it between my iPods and PC.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#85852 - 01/30/11 08:05 PM Re: Digital Media for MP3 [Re: XenonMan]
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
I use a classic Squeezebox v3 to serve files off of my PC. The Squeezebox feeds into my RR2150. I have ripped all of my CD's to iTunes using Apple's lossless compression and it really sounds good. The few songs I have from my daughters's using Apple 128KB compression sound terrible by comparison.
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

#85857 - 01/30/11 11:28 PM Re: Digital Media for MP3 [Re: 73Bruin]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
How the music is stored is important. As 73Bruin points out, lossless solutions like FLAC, lossless WMA, and Apple lossless are going to be pretty well equal to a CD as far as the quality of source material. Once you have the files ripped, there are a lot of different ways to play those files back, and some ways will sound better than others. The Western Digital device is cheap and simple, and with an optical digital output it should allow you to lean on another device in the signal path (the 970 in your case) to handle D/A conversion. As far as I can tell, you'll need to move the USB drive between the WD player and your computer to add music. That could be avoidable by using a USB-equipped NAS device ("network-attached storage" - hard drive with a network interface) that you can access from your computer over your network without unhooking the USB. It can also be avoidable by using a network-compatible device such as the Squeezebox, AppleTV, or a number of other options. In that case, though, you need a network connection to the equipment rack (either wired or wireless) and a storage source that's always available (either an always-on PC or a NAS device). I've done a bit of tinkering with this using an older AppleTV as well as the DLNA (digital living network alliance) support in my BDP-83 and BDP-93 players, but I haven't migrated to it in any significant fashion.

#85865 - 01/31/11 05:29 PM Re: Digital Media for MP3 [Re: gonk]
Jimna Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Denver, CO
A studio here in Denver has a sticker on the booth that reads " Friends don't let friends listen to MP3's".

Outlaw 970>
Emotiva XPA-2>
Martin Logan Preface

Some Of My Live Recordings: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/J.Mimna

My Concert Photographs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimna/collections/72157613267633153/

#85870 - 01/31/11 06:25 PM Re: Digital Media for MP3 [Re: Jimna]
mdrconsult Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, Texas
Originally Posted By: Jimna
... " Friends don't let friends listen to MP3's".

Isn't that the truth!

A couple of years ago at South by Southwest, here in Austin Tx., I believe it was Lou Reed who was the speaker, said that the iPod and MP3's were the worst thing that had ever happened to music. He went on the explain it wasn't just the financial aspect of people downloading music for free. But more importantly it was the horrible sound quality that people now accept as the norm. Furthermore, with people being able to buy a song at a time or listen to songs via "shuffle" it took away all the artistic creativity of producing an album that was a true collection of songs that were meant to be heard as a whole.

I personally never rip CD's to any format that isn't lossless. And I avoid using the shuffle mode. I truly like the concept of listening to the album. The artist selected a collection of songs for a reason. If I truly want to hear what the artist intended then I should give him the respect of listening to the album as he intended it to be.

Personally, I like the concept of being able to store all of my recordings onto a single type of media. However, the media player must capture and replay the source with complete digital accuracy. Otherwise it's just not worth it to me. I have not committed completely to a media server as of yet because I haven't found one that fully meets my requirements. As stated, first and foremost it must maintain digital accuracy from capture through playback. Next, it must support all forms of media. As of yet, I know of no device that can rip all forms of media, i.e. CD, BD, SACD, DVD, DVD-A,etc. If anyone knows of such a system please let me know. My assumption is simply the device would capture the digital image, no decoding, and then play back the digital source providing the appropriate bit stream that would have been generated from the source playback device, i.e PCM, DSD, etc. This could then be sent to a Pre/Pro that could decode the bit stream. At that point it should make no difference if the source was played from its conventional device or streamed from a media player.
Emotiva XMC-1, Outlaw 7500, Sonus Faber Olympica III Fronts, SF Liuto Center, SF Surrounds, LFM-1 EX, Oppo BDP-103D, Apple TV (Gen. 4), Mitsubishi 65" Diamond DLP, Outlaw Cables, PS Audio Power Quintet, Duet and power cords.

#85888 - 02/02/11 10:48 AM Re: Digital Media for MP3 [Re: mdrconsult]
Jimna Offline
Gunslinger

I have DVD-A and SACD's ripped as flacs.

Outlaw 970>
Emotiva XPA-2>
Martin Logan Preface

My Concert Photographs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimna/collections/72157613267633153/

#85890 - 02/02/11 01:32 PM Re: Digital Media for MP3 [Re: Jimna]
mdrconsult Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: Jimna
I have DVD-A and SACD's ripped as flacs.

OK, I'll bite. How do you do it? Also, what about play back? Will this same system rip other formats, CDs, BDs, etc. If so, is there one big catalog for all the media?

Thanks,
Mark
Emotiva XMC-1, Outlaw 7500, Sonus Faber Olympica III Fronts, SF Liuto Center, SF Surrounds, LFM-1 EX, Oppo BDP-103D, Apple TV (Gen. 4), Mitsubishi 65" Diamond DLP, Outlaw Cables, PS Audio Power Quintet, Duet and power cords.

#85894 - 02/02/11 03:46 PM Re: Digital Media for MP3 [Re: mdrconsult]
Jimna Offline
Gunslinger

Its software and a PC. It does rip other media types too. Mine are all flacs, loaded into VLC they play 5.1 mixes. I have the entire Talking Heads box set in this form.

Outlaw 970>
Emotiva XPA-2>
Martin Logan Preface

#85906 - 02/03/11 02:28 PM Re: Digital Media for MP3 [Re: Jimna]
mdrconsult Offline
Gunslinger

Can you give me more details. What software? Is this a commercial package? What transport do you use that will read and SACD or DVD-A on a PC? Will it also do BDs? Once you have it ripped how do you get it to your pre/pro? Is it an HDMI connection? What about the SQ as compared to playing the media directly from a dedicated source? If this does what I think you are saying then I will want to build one of my own, so please provide enough information.

Thank You,
Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 104 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM