Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#85575 - 01/18/11 08:59 AM Speaker Level Calibration
dwmayo1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Have a question about Speaker Level Calibration. My Center Speaker, B&W LCR 60 S3, seems to dominate the 2 Fronts which are also B&W 603-S3's. This is true for both Movies and Music.

In the Setup Menu of the AVM 20; under Speaker LVL Calibration, all speakers are set at 0.0 dB. Is this the norm?

Should I be adjusting the Front 2 output to match the Center output? Is this the purpose of the Speaker Lvl Calbriation Menu?

For what it is worth I have all Fronts set to "Small" and the Rears are Set to "Dipole." My Subwoofer is the Outlaw LFM-1.

thanks in advance..

#85578 - 01/18/11 09:43 AM Re: Speaker Level Calibration [Re: dwmayo1]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Originally Posted By: dwmayo1
In the Setup Menu of the AVM 20; under Speaker LVL Calibration, all speakers are set at 0.0 dB. Is this the norm?

No - with all speakers set to 0dB, that suggests the system has not been calibrated.

Should I be adjusting the Front 2 output to match the Center output? Is this the purpose of the Speaker Lvl Calbriation Menu?

You need to get a sound meter (either a Radio Shack meter for about $40 or $50, or an iPhone app for a few bucks) and use the AVM20's internal test tones to adjust all of your speakers (fronts, center, surrounds, and sub) individually to achieve the proper output. It is likely that each speaker will have a unique setting, as the calibration adjusts for speaker efficiency, amp gain, and room gain. The AVM20's manual should have some instructions for doing this with its internal test tones.

Also, you should check to see if the distances have been adjusted.

#85586 - 01/18/11 03:30 PM Re: Speaker Level Calibration [Re: gonk]
dwmayo1 Offline
Gunslinger

many thanks for your valuable input! appreciate it!

#85608 - 01/19/11 12:02 PM Re: Speaker Level Calibration [Re: dwmayo1]
casey01 Offline
Gunslinger

I would certainly concur with Gonk on this issue, however, I might offer in addition to the internal test-tones of your Pre-Pro, you strongly consider along with the SPL meter, as a further option, using the test tones from an external disc played on your BR/DVD player to measure speaker levels as well. I have found that on occasion that in some products, the volume levels of certain channels may differ between the internal tones of the AVR/Pre-Pro and those from the test disc and if you are one that watches a considerable number of movies on your system, the levels from your player will give you somewhat of a more accurate picture as to the appropriate sound levels of the various channels coming from the movie that are being fed to your amps and ultimately the speakers.

Of course, in the end, if you find in comparing the test tone levels from the disc and the Pre-Pro that they match anyway, then it won't be an issue.

#85674 - 01/22/11 09:51 AM Re: Speaker Level Calibration [Re: casey01]
dwmayo1 Offline
Gunslinger

I contacted Sonic Frontier (Anthem) about setting the reference level on the AVM 20. They advised me to set the reference level for speaker calibrtion purposes to 0.0 dB! That would "SMOKE" my speakers wouldn't it?

I have found that the Technical group over at SF has not been the most helpful....just an observation.

#85676 - 01/22/11 12:40 PM Re: Speaker Level Calibration [Re: dwmayo1]
EEman Offline
Desperado

Loc: Canton, MI
The reference level for each speaker is set to zero in order to allow you to adjust each speaker either up or down in order to make them all match. Note that this is just a relative adjustment to the volume controlled by the main volume knob. Asuming your main volume isn't cranked way up you're not going to hurt your speakers. The manual recommends using a sound pressure meter and setting each speaker so that it outputs 75 dB.

I arbitrarily start with the test tone playing on my left speaker, adjust the main volume until its at 75 dB, switch to the next speaker and either boost or cut the speaker's individual reference level until the meter reads 75 dB.

#85678 - 01/22/11 02:20 PM Re: Speaker Level Calibration [Re: dwmayo1]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I contacted Sonic Frontier (Anthem) about setting the reference level on the AVM 20. They advised me to set the reference level for speaker calibrtion purposes to 0.0 dB! That would "SMOKE" my speakers wouldn't it?

A volume setting of 0.0dB for something with a "relative" volume scale (including all of Outlaw's processors and probably Anthem's AVMs) is typically the point at which the system is set for "reference" operation during calibration. On the Model 990 and other Outlaw processors, the internal test tones are meant to play at 75dB when the volume is set to 0dB. The AVM20 is probably similar. The trick is to take some caution during calibration - set the unit to an unused or inactive input so nothing is playing, then set the volume to 0dB, and then run the internal test tones and set each channel's trim so that it measures at 75dB in the listening position.

Once you've calibrated, you may only use that volume setting on rare occasions. Some folks do it all the time, and so folks never get that high again. We watch TV here at around -35dB to -25dB during the day, depending on the channel (some HD channels aren't as loud). DVD and Blu-ray watching tends to involve a slightly higher volume setting, but unless I'm home by myself it's almost unheard of for us to get higher than -20dB or maybe -15dB.

#85681 - 01/23/11 08:05 AM Re: Speaker Level Calibration [Re: gonk]
dwmayo1 Offline
Gunslinger

Folks I believe I have all all my distances set, speakers calibrated, and I am happy so far. However, I have developed what I call a "static discharge" occuring on the center and left surround speaker. Its almost like a "popping" noise and it is my apparent / consistent on the center speaker however louder on the left surround. I can actually enable an unused path such as VCR more the Main Volume up and down and actually hear this static noise occcuring in the center speaker..

This "discharge / nosie" mainly occurs when I either Turn on the system or when I switch between sources on the AVM 20.

any ideas? I have an idea but don't say for fear of sounding stupid, so I would appreciate any input from the "pro's." many thanks in advance!!!

#85682 - 01/23/11 08:54 AM Re: Speaker Level Calibration [Re: dwmayo1]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Is this issue with all of your sources or just one? If only on one source, then isolate the issue to it. If it occurs on all of the inputs make sure your interconnects and speakers wires are separated from your power cables by at least a few inches. If that doesn't fix the issue then:

Swap a few of your cables between speakers and see if the static follows the cables you changed. If it does the speakers are fine,and the problem lies upstream. If it remains on those two speakers then check their connections to make sure they are clean and tight.

If the problem is upstream, put all back to normal and then swap the interconnects to the amp. If the problem follows the swap, the issue is still upstream. If it doesn't the amp is the issue. Check to make sure all of its connections are clean, tight and clear of any stray wiring. If the problem remains on those two channels, then the AVM-20 is the source. Check all of its outputs to make sure they are clean, tight and clear of any stray wires.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#85685 - 01/23/11 09:39 AM Re: Speaker Level Calibration [Re: XenonMan]
dwmayo1 Offline
Gunslinger

many thanks! At first I thought maybe polarity was the issue; hence the reason I didn't bring it up.

I notice more with DVD. I will go thru your diagnostic testing procedure..

thanks this helps!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 178 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts