Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#85844 - 01/30/11 09:01 AM Re: Perfect Timing, Outlaws! [Re: Durask]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Does the sub hum when it's signal cable is unplugged? That low level hum may be that the signal and power cable are too close. Try separating them and see if that cures the problem.

Try unplugging one component at a time from your UPS and see if the problem clears or try plugging all of your equipment into a single power strip (just for testing). Does your UPS include your phone and internet connections? If so you may need a filter on those. They are generally buried outside and have their own grounding system separate from the one in your house.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#85854 - 01/30/11 09:11 PM Re: Perfect Timing, Outlaws! [Re: XenonMan]
Durask Offline
Gunslinger

Moved it around the house (to finish the workout started by shoveling some snow). No matter where I plug it, there is always low frequency hum, sounds like an old transformer. Obviously this was always with signal cable unplugged.

My UPS does not include phone or internet, the only things hooked up to it are the PC and the monitor. In any case, the hum is there without the signal cable.

#85860 - 01/31/11 02:28 AM Re: Perfect Timing, Outlaws! [Re: Durask]
AJZepp Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Flowery Branch, GA
Okay guys, I finally had my Inception movie night tonight.

While I was watching the pro bowl, I got things set up, wired up the sub, broke out my brand new trusty rat shack spl meter, and calibrated things. For tonight, I put the M8 toward the back of the room since that was the most convenient location for today. As I ran the test tones, the sub made a nice, warm rumble/hum, and I was ready for movie time.

About five minutes into the movie, this sub was kicking so much you know what in my apartment that I had to start turning down the gain (I started with the gain at the 1/2 way point). We watched another ten mins until this one scene came on where the LFE was constant and pretty intense for several minutes. It was at that point when I aborted the mission for tonight since it's a Sunday around 11pm, and I didn't want to take the chance with the neighbors lol. Scott told me that this little guy was powerful, but I honestly didn't expect this much kick from an 8" driver in a <$300 subwoofer.

I decided this would be a good time to order an Auralex subdude, cause I know others who have used them with their subs and it really helped to reduce vibrations. The M8 was pretty tight and not bloated and boomy at all, but there's no way that the folks downstairs escaped that one scene without wondering wtf was going on lol. I'm also going to move the sub near an outside wall, and that combined with the isolation platform should allow me to run the LFE channel again.

Just so you guys don't think I'm a sub newbie who doesn't know what real subs can do, my last sub was widely considered one of the best on the market - an SVS PB13 Ultra. My apartment is a fairly decent size, and one of these guys was more than enough bass for me. The main living area of my apt is like a 30'x16' rectangle, with a half wall/entertainment wall extending across the room and sort of splits it in half. The side of that rectangle where I have my HT is about 18x15 with 9' ceilings.

This sub is a winner, especially for the price.
7075 Amp
950 PrePro (2003-2010)
975 PrePro (2012-Present)
Outlaw ICs (2003-Present)
M8 Subwoofer (2011-Present)
???

#85920 - 02/05/11 12:20 AM Re: Perfect Timing, Outlaws! [Re: AJZepp]
bmrr Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hi All,

Just looking to restart the thread and see if there's more from the maggie crowd? I've been looking to add a sub to my 1.6's and was thinking along the lines of the M8 (vs. LF-1 compact). How is the integration?

My current 2-channel rig has a pre-amp (Rotel 1070) with no sub out running into an RB-1080 amp. I'm a bit concerned about running through the high levels with spring clips... Any thoughts on using the line level output, similar to ACI, where a speaker wire-to-line level converter is used??? Could that setup also be used with the OAW3?

Thanks!

Edited by bmrr (02/05/11 12:22 AM)

#85922 - 02/05/11 01:20 AM Re: Perfect Timing, Outlaws! [Re: bmrr]
AJZepp Offline
Gunslinger

bmrr,I can't be of much help to ya since I run my Maggies full range for music...but just wanted to chime in again with my thoughts on the Auralex SubDude HD. smile

Tonight I fired up the Russell Crowe version of Robin Hood with the M8 on the subdude and the results were very impressive. This is one really good sub! The bass is very clean, and the sub can play subtly or it can provide plenty of impact for certain effects. Any scene where there were horses galloping were very intense, along with the part where several English soldiers were ramming a large door with a tree, lol. The impact was very effective, and there was no bloated rumble at all. I don't know what driver this is in the M8, but I like it.
7075 Amp
950 PrePro (2003-2010)
???

#85928 - 02/05/11 02:00 PM Re: Perfect Timing, Outlaws! [Re: AJZepp]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
I have my 1.6s paired with my Aperion S-12 sub and to tell the truth it is way overkill in my music room. The maggies are fully capable of producing all the bass of any music I listen to. I primarily use the sub to reduce the power required to run the planars since they draw only about half the power if relieved of the <100 hz duties.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#85957 - 02/08/11 04:12 PM Re: Perfect Timing, Outlaws! [Re: XenonMan]
AJZepp Offline
Gunslinger

I'm going to blow sunshine up this sub's butt one more time, and then that will be it for now...

Last night I got the urge to finish up the last half of Robin Hood (I had to turn it off with about a half hour left the other night when I got sleepy). It was around 3am on a weeknight, so I wasn't sure about having an action film playing at that hour. Anyway, I turned down the master volume a bit and gave it a shot. What I found was that this sub does exactly what I hoped it would. Not only does it pack a nice punch for when I have a movie cranked up, but at 3am when I need a bit more subtlety it gave me exactly that. I still heard all the low end effects, perfectly in balance with the other channels, and I was able to watch the rest of the film in a manner that was nearly as satisfying as when I have the volume up.

I also want to give props again to this subdude thing...it is a great piece of isolation for apartment dwellers. Combined with the M8, I've got my bass needs covered. I may even consider using this for music with my Maggies. It's very hard to integrate a sub with the Maggies for that purpose, BUT, the sound quality of this M8 is much better than I expected.

Hope you all enjoy your M8s smile

M8 + SubDude HD
7075 Amp
950 PrePro (2003-2010)
???

#86010 - 02/11/11 03:39 PM Re: Perfect Timing, Outlaws! [Re: AJZepp]
Douggie_Fresh Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: TX
Hi Folks,

I'm about to pull the trigger on this M8 sub...I've been itching to get it and try it out. I'm wanting to know how important is it to spend big bucks on the sub cable to connect it to my receiver (RR 2150)? I've seen them range in price from $2.50 on up to over $100 bucks. I found some on Ebay and here is the link to one. It is a cheaper one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Vampire-Wire-Mul...=item45f89e133d

Will this one work or should I go for a different one? I hate spending money on cables...I know...sometimes it is necessary, but dang it! hahaha!

Any help would be great...

Thanks!

#86012 - 02/11/11 05:14 PM Re: Perfect Timing, Outlaws! [Re: Douggie_Fresh]
EEman Offline
Desperado

Loc: Canton, MI
"This Vampire Wire Multi-Use RCA Cable is separated from a A/V Kit to create a cable that can be used for multiple Audio and Video applications. By doing this, we create a cable that can be used as a subwoofer, digital coax audio, or composite video cable."
?
I'm speechless...

You don't need to spend a ton of money on cabling.

I use Monoprice. Some people here use Bluejeanscable. And some use the Outlaw cables. I would think that between those three you could find something that suits your needs and budget.

Personally I would stay away from a company that advertises that they've created a cable that carries electricity, electricity, or (you guessed it) electricity. Just out of principle if nothing else laugh

Edited by EEman (02/11/11 05:19 PM)

#86016 - 02/11/11 05:57 PM Re: Perfect Timing, Outlaws! [Re: EEman]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I would lean toward the lower priced options, taking care to spend enough to get something that is actually reliable. A sub cable's got to run a ways, so you want something that is actually at least a little shielded in case it gets too close to a power cord along the way somewhere. The price is good on the Vampire cable, but I don't know much about them. As a general rule, I would second EEman's suggestions for cable sources.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 125 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts