Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 18 of 19 < 1 2 16 17 18 19 >
Topic Options
#85386 - 12/28/10 05:35 PM Re: Ready by Christmas? [Re: PeterT]
LightninBoy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: St. Paul, MN
Originally Posted By: PeterT
As part of this “simple, straightforward, and great sounding” philosophy, we’ve intentionally decided not to include every “bell and whistle”.

Our job will be to provide the needed HDMI, digital audio and analog audio inputs for you to connect to and to deliver the great sound and video these network services provide.

There is one more VERY CRITICAL aspect of the Model 978 I want to tell you about. The Outlaws have always been committed to audio quality, and that is where this processor will really shine.

The ADC, DSP and similar key components have also been carefully selected for audio quality with careful attention to both two-channel and multi-channel audio performance.

Most important, the Model 978 carries one addition to what was planned for the Model 998: true state of the art DACs. We’ve already auditioned them using a reference board, and the sound is just incredible. Regardless of the audio/video source or surround mode, the Model 978 will deliver sound quality well beyond anything we’ve ever been able to offer until now.

You are singing my tune here. I'm a happy 950 owner and I loved that it was a simple quality design that allowed mere mortals like myself to enter the world of seperates (and I'm never going back). Since then, I've come to realize the difference a high quality analog section makes and am willing to pay for it. However, I do not want to pay for it over and over and over again with each source device I buy. If great analog can be centralized into the pre/pro, then I can buy cheaper/commodity digital transports and save money in the long run.

Regarding all the other features - I'm firmly in the Luddite camp. Give me HDMI switching and the support for the standard codecs. Give me balanced and unbalanced inputs and outputs. Give me flexible bass management. Give me true bypass on all the audio inputs (just in case I do splurge on a reference source device). Give me an easy way to update firmware (USB or ethernet, don't care). Give me a good warranty and great support. Package it all up in an ugly industrial case to save cost.

To give you an idea of my mindset, I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on a NAD M15 (non HD) even though it is severely limited in its HDMI support (no audio, just video). Only its inability to do true bypass on audio inputs is holding me back. Granted, this is extreme and I hope I don't end up having to compromise so many features just to get an affordable pre/pro with a great analog section. But I will if that is what it takes.

I honestly believe Outlaw lost its way with the original vision of the 998 in trying to beat the competition on hi-tech features. I truly hope the above marks a return to the value oriented audio first approach that sold me with the 950.

Edited by LightninBoy (12/28/10 05:52 PM)

#85413 - 12/29/10 10:56 PM Re: Any New Processor from Outlaw [Re: GaryB]
barumba Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ontario, Canada
And in the mean time, what has all this development, set-backs, re-tooling/programming, starting-all-over-again done to the pricing. Most electronics pricing comes down as we have seen with the FP monitors, PC and Lap-Tops, cell phones, etc. I have a knot on my gut says the price of the 9$$ will sky rocket, whenever it is released. The door crasher demand, along with all the cost and waste up to now are going to be to much to overcome. CHA-CHING. Someone please re-assure me if I am wrong.
Knee deep in snow, no one with an alternative will ship up here (Canukistan), boo-hoo.
Cheers!

#85419 - 12/30/10 02:33 PM Re: Any New Processor from Outlaw [Re: barumba]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
We don't know yet. The Model 997 was going to sell for $1400, I believe. How that will relate to the Model 978 and Model 998 we'll just have to wait and see. The Model 998 (as most recently described) will offer more than the Model 997 would have, while the Model 978 will offer more in most regards but with a different room correction solution. If I had to guess, I would not be surprised to see the Model 978 land close to the Model 997's target price, but I doubt it will exceed that. I'd also assume that the Model 998 will command at least a couple hundred dollars worth of premium over the Model 978 to justify the two products co-existing in one product line. For now, though, I think we're just dealing with guesswork.

#85427 - 12/31/10 11:30 PM Re: Any New Processor from Outlaw [Re: gonk]
barumba Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Well, thanks, Gonk.
I hope (continuing to hope, I guess. LOL)that if and when this/these imaginary processors show up, that it/they will be shipped to Canada. Yes, I know Outlaw has shipped to Canada in the past, still have the amp in the box from three years ago as proof. The amp looking for something to plug into other than the wall outlet.
Oh, my. Big sigh.

#85459 - 01/03/11 01:41 PM Re: Any New Processor from Outlaw [Re: barumba]
Retep Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tauranga, New Zealand
Happy New Year to everyone. I'm going to make the assumption that 2011 will be a big year for Outlaw Audio and perhaps the 998. I would love a teaser if Outlaw is willing to offer one.

Cheers!

Peter

#85461 - 01/03/11 06:52 PM Re: Any New Processor from Outlaw [Re: Retep]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
You know... somehow that assumption seems familiar to me from the last two years.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#85462 - 01/03/11 08:39 PM Re: Any New Processor from Outlaw [Re: XenonMan]
rubbersoul Offline
Desperado

Loc: folsom, pa.
Hi everyone.
For what it's worth I was talking to Scott in regards to a small issue with my 7700. Of course I had to mention something about Outlaws new processors'.
Scott was a bit "lips are sealed" but my interpretation of his response was that he was very optimistic about something happening in the first quarter of this year.

I hope my interpretation is correct.
B&W 803D2’s HTM3S DS7's
HSU Subwoofer
Mitsubishi 6800 Projector
Da-Lite Screen,
Oppo BDP93
Comcast
PS Audio DSD
Stack Variac
Kill-O-Watt
Nakamichi cables Audio 8 cables
Air-Server
Mac-Mini
ROON

#85467 - 01/04/11 07:40 AM Re: Any New Processor from Outlaw [Re: rubbersoul]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: rubbersoul
Hi everyone.
For what it's worth I was talking to Scott in regards to a small issue with my 7700. Of course I had to mention something about Outlaws new processors'.
Scott was a bit "lips are sealed" but my interpretation of his response was that he was very optimistic about something happening in the first quarter of this year.

I hope my interpretation is correct.

*yawn*

It's been that way for the past couple of years. Lucy definitely won't pull the football away again....no way....no how....not again. AAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH! LOL

#85509 - 01/10/11 11:13 AM Re: Any New Processor from Outlaw [Re: Ritz2]
pepar Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: On an island
Originally Posted By: Ritz2
*yawn*

smile The first "quarter" is a pretty big window.

Jeff

Edited by pepar (01/10/11 11:13 AM)

#85512 - 01/11/11 10:57 AM Re: Any New Processor from Outlaw [Re: pepar]
Hank Offline
Desperado

Loc: Austin, Texas, USA
+1 for what LightninBoy wrote in post #85386!
FWIW, I went by the Atlantic Technology booth at CES and met Peter, as he was demoing the AT-1 speakers with thier new H-PAS technology cabinet design.

Page 18 of 19 < 1 2 16 17 18 19 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 143 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts