Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#85375 - 12/28/10 08:35 AM SACD CONNECTION CLARIFICATION
dwmayo1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Need some advice or more importantly clarification. Just had my Denon 2900 SACD hooked up to my Anthem AVM 20. To my surprise when I looked at the connection between the two, I saw only a optical cable.

I was always under the impression that SACD was an analog signal and as such needed to be connected to the AVM 20 using RCA cables in a 5.1 format.??

I was told that this optical connection is acceptable, actually preferred, over individual RCA cords to all 5 channels.

this is accurate? true? a preferred method of connection?

any clarification?

thanks!

i ACTUALLY POSTED THIS UNDER A DIFFERENT FORUM...SORRY!

#85378 - 12/28/10 10:49 AM Re: SACD CONNECTION CLARIFICATION [Re: dwmayo1]
KOYAAN Offline
Desperado

Loc: Sanford NC
As I understand it, the information from an SACD can be digitally transfered via HCMI for processing ouboard of the player, but not by optical or SPDIF.
Pioneer Elite DV-47A
Magnavox HDMR513h DVR/DVD-R
Sony DVD megachangers-2
Sony CD megachangers-2
Monster power centers-2
Sony 48" rear projection SDTV
Roku video player
JVC AL-A158 Turntable
Polk RT-2000s,CS-650,XS-650s,RT80s
LFM-1EX
Hsu VTF-1
12" Velodyne

Family room:
OPPO 970
Sony 32" direct view HDTV
Denon 3801
Rolk RMs

#85382 - 12/28/10 02:09 PM Re: SACD CONNECTION CLARIFICATION [Re: KOYAAN]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
(Posted in other thread...)

For DVD, optical or coaxial is preferred over analog output because the AVM20 has much more robust audio processing capabilities than any disc player. To tell someone that optical is acceptable (much less preferred) for SACD and DVD-Audio is undeniably wrong, however, because optical and coax are either restricted or outright disabled when playing those formats. You cannot transmit SACD audio via optical or coaxial digital connections. The format is not analog - it is digital and uses DSD as its data format - but the copy protection imposed by Sony forces use of analog outputs or an approved (secured) digital connection that also has enough bandwidth for multichannel lossless audio, which is limited to FireWire (IEEE-1394), HDMI, and a couple proprietary connections.

I had to search for a while to find a rear panel picture of the DVD-2900, but I did confirm that it has a multichannel analog output. You will need to use that for SACD and DVD-Audio (although DVD-A will provide a downmixed stereo signal via optical and coaxial). For DVD and CD, you're probably best off sticking with that optical or a coaxial digital connection.

#85404 - 12/29/10 07:46 PM Re: SACD CONNECTION CLARIFICATION [Re: gonk]
dwmayo1 Offline
Gunslinger

thanks gonk! now I have a tough one for ya....

after connecting the Denon 2900 using RCA, we are only getting sound out of; are you ready for this one?? Sound is only coming out of front right speaker and left surround speaker....nothing from left front, center, sub, or right surround...

all RCA connections appear to be connected correctly.....operative word being "appear." ha

I am sure this is a very elementary question / problem for you.......so where did we go wrong in this hook up??

#85405 - 12/29/10 08:22 PM Re: SACD CONNECTION CLARIFICATION [Re: dwmayo1]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Swap some cables around and see if the sound moves to different speakers. If it does, get some new cables. If it doesn't change check your speaker setup settings in the Denon.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#85410 - 12/29/10 10:17 PM Re: SACD CONNECTION CLARIFICATION [Re: dwmayo1]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Originally Posted By: dwmayo1
thanks gonk! now I have a tough one for ya....

after connecting the Denon 2900 using RCA, we are only getting sound out of; are you ready for this one?? Sound is only coming out of front right speaker and left surround speaker....nothing from left front, center, sub, or right surround...

all RCA connections appear to be connected correctly.....operative word being "appear." ha

I am sure this is a very elementary question / problem for you.......so where did we go wrong in this hook up??

First, try to find a disc with some test tones (the "THX Optimizer" feature on some DVD's should work for this, as should Digital Video Essentials or AVIA) and use those test tones. Next, start swapping cables and making sure all the cables are plugged in correctly. I've had cases where one end or the other was just loose enough on several cables that I had problems like this. As XenonMan suggests, also try using the right front and left surround cables with other channels. The goal is to determine if any cables are bad or if the player's outputs are at fault.

#85414 - 12/30/10 07:56 AM Re: SACD CONNECTION CLARIFICATION [Re: gonk]
dwmayo1 Offline
Gunslinger

Many Thanks To XenonMan & Gonk!

I will try both and let you know how I make out...

Happy Holidays to Both!

#85439 - 01/02/11 09:49 AM Re: SACD CONNECTION CLARIFICATION [Re: dwmayo1]
dwmayo1 Offline
Gunslinger

Folks well we figure out that we had a wire mislabled and solved the problem on the rear surround speaker and the front speaker....however, on SACD, I am only getting 2 channel stereo...no sound from center, or two rear speakers.

used a DVD test disc and all speakers including sub are fucntional, so it appears, speakers and cables are working well.

surround sound when DVD is played is working as serveral action packed DVD's were played.

but on SACD, sound only from two front speakers...

any thoughts on what I should be looking at next?

thanks so much in advance!

#85440 - 01/02/11 10:40 AM Re: SACD CONNECTION CLARIFICATION [Re: dwmayo1]
DNicely1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lincoln Park, Mi USA
Some sacd's are stereo only, check to make sure if that is the case, great player btw, havve one myself.

#85441 - 01/02/11 10:54 AM Re: SACD CONNECTION CLARIFICATION [Re: DNicely1]
dwmayo1 Offline
Gunslinger

thanks DNicely1....the SACD disc is actually a sampler of SACD music...not sure were we went wrong????

thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 177 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts